This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Need help with playing mediia file

hanandyn

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:24:18 am

Hi, This is the first time I am running any linux distro after running windows my entire life (since windows 3.1).
I like zorin os but I have a problem playing some media files, I searched online but could not find a solution.
1. I can't play movies with dolby atmos files not matter what I do
2. my GPU is amd RX580 for some reason the hardware acceleration does not work so I playing HEVC files is impossible, they are stuttering and freezing. also with H264 no hardware acceleration, but my CPU can still run it.

I was able to run kodi with atmos by running it from terminal KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA kodi, but still HEVC problem.
anyway I would prefer to have the option to run video files using another player like VLC and not open kodi everytime I want to play somthing.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:29:17 pm

OK, I have downloaded the Conductor file from the samples here:

http://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

Had no issues at all playing the file in Videos, the 'de facto' video player that comes with Zorin. (I have Creative Labs 5.1/7.1 Audigy RX card installed I should add).

Atmos.jpg

See this thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/727705/ ... les/887436

hanandyn

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:19:31 pm

Thank you for your reply.
The movie is playing on my side too but the sound is not coming out in Dolby Atmos. The same PC using Windows, works without a problem.
I checked the link you sent, I saw it before too. They also do not have Dolby Atmos system.
My computer is connect to marantz av receiver with HDMI cable and I have 9.1 speakers array, according to Atmos specs

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:21:08 pm

Just had another look at the HEVC issue and found this:

https://geeksterminal.com/install-h265- ... untu/1900/

;) :D

Just be mindful not to click on the add links that say 'download now' that are interspersed with the instructions!

hanandyn

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:33:52 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. VLC is able to play hevc files but for some reason it is not using my amd gpu to decode, instead it is using my CPU which is not powerful enough to decide 4k hevc files

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:55:11 pm

It would appear to be a hardware/driver issue with RX cards?:

https://community.amd.com/thread/203197

hanandyn

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:05:50 pm

The problem at the link you posted is regarding windows.
My PC with windows is running 4k hevc with Dolby Atmos without any problems.
Unfortunately it seems that I should stay with windows☹️

Aravisian

Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:18:12 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe that currently, only down-mixed audio is supported in Ubuntu 18.04.
You might try installing libavresample-dev and configuring with pavucontrol rather than the built in GUI.

hanandyn

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:26:09 pm

So basically you are saying that 2019 version of ubuntu can't do what winddws 7 a ten years old operating system can do?

carmar

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:00:13 pm

From what I gather, dolby atmos may not be supported on VLC: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vlc+dolby+atm ... 4-1&ia=web

Windows 7 also costs a lot more than Linux does - and has installation limits on top of that.

Aravisian

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:15:20 pm

hanandyn wrote:So basically you are saying that 2019 version of ubuntu can't do what winddws 7 a ten years old operating system can do?

<cough>
Aravisian wrote:I could be wrong,

So far, the information that I have found supports what I said earlier, but there is room for doubt. Frankly, I hop on the forum While Working on some pretty demanding jobs... in an effort to help out others.
A quick search while my mind is also on gear ratios means: I could be wrong.
Sometimes, I help someone by giving them direct knowledge. But more often, I do so by nudging them in the right direction helping them to find what they are looking for on their own. So, I trust you are also looking for information and not merely waiting on an answer from up-on-high.
I have not searched DEEPLY into the issue and I have zero first hand knowledge of it. I never used it on Windows or on Linux.
Sometimes, when I have time and I am determined, I get very thorough but sadly, the past week has been a hectic and busy one and this forum has seen me only in quick bursts.
carmar wrote:From what I gather, dolby atmos may not be supported on VLC: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vlc+dolby+atm ... 4-1&ia=web

Windows 7 also costs a lot more than Linux does - and has installation limits on top of that.

That being said... let's say that I am not wrong. What you just asked, as if suggesting an absurdity, ("Are you saying a grown man cannot do what this child can do?") is apples to oranges.
I agree with Carmar.
There are a great many things that Windows cannot do, has never been able to do and will not be able to do in the foreseeable future that Linux has been doing since its inception.
There are many things that Windows can do that Linux could, but won't.
For good reason.

Most hardware is built with Windows in mind because the Dominant Operating System globally IS Windows.
So there are some things that work great with Windows that Linux struggles with. There are plenty of options to solve that, too.

If I compare a pickup truck to a car and say it can do what they car cannot (haul a piano), it does not mean that the pick up truck is superior to cars, always. If I say the reverse, that the car is superior because it can do what the pickup truck cannot do (Haul a bunch of people in comfort), then that is also an absurdity, just like your comparison.

Yes, it MAY be that Linux does not support whatever Windows thing you love. I MAY also be wrong- Do some research. I am totally fine with being wrong and having read some outdated information (Sadly, I doubt it and I wish I could find something more helpful.) BUT it is possible. It has happened before.
It also is true that Windows does not support a great many Linux apps. In fact, it is more common.
Because of this, many people dual-boot and keep Windows handy for those occasional things that just only work on Windows.
Some things can work by using WINE4.
Others can work by using Windows in VM. VirtualBox.
You have options even though you will not always get What You Want Perfectly. You won't even with the expensive O.S.'s. And those come with even worse customer service than this post offers.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:16:19 pm

No problems in VLC here:

Conductor file ATMOS playing in VLC.jpg