This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Failed to load "canberra-gtk-module"

gpolkga

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:19:16 pm

Added Flatpak support and repositories. Then installed a Flatpak app. When trying start the app (from command line) get the error Failed to load "canberra-gtk-module" The error is application specific - i.e. other flatpak apps work fine. All appropriate caberra gtk libraries are installed. Have been successful installing and running this app on other Ubuntu based systems, only have the problem with Zorin. Have tested on ZorinOS 15.1 core and Ultimate with same result.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:26:35 pm

And the name of the problematical flat pak? (To be honest I've not had much success with any of the 'new way of installing' things) - I stick to the tried and trusted Synaptic Package Manager - perhaps it is available through Synaptic Package Manager? Also, you are not on 'Zorin on Wayland' are you? ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:21:46 am

gpolkga wrote:Added Flatpak support and repositories. Then installed a Flatpak app. When trying start the app (from command line) get the error Failed to load "canberra-gtk-module" The error is application specific - i.e. other flatpak apps work fine. All appropriate caberra gtk libraries are installed. Have been successful installing and running this app on other Ubuntu based systems, only have the problem with Zorin. Have tested on ZorinOS 15.1 core and Ultimate with same result.

Canberra-gtk-module is no longer being developed or supported as it is a GTK2 Module. It is considered deprecated.
Most apps that give that warning still work just fine and you only see that warning if you start it from terminal.
There is a gtk3 version: canberra-gtk3-module - But your warning did not specify this.
Also, please check if the Flatpak version you installed is not 32bit version.
Let's install the modules (both) and see if that helps, but if it does not, there may be another cause for Flatpak not running.
Code:
sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module

If Flatpak is 32bit:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module:i386

There are other options; you could unset your gtk modules environment variable. Or, as Swarfendor suggested, use a package manager that checks for all dependencies. And YES, check with Swarfendors advice to be sure you are not logged into Wayland. Wayout, more like. Nothing works on Wayland except for all the things that don't work. And even those don't work.

gpolkga

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:16:08 am

I'm not not on Wayland. Flatpak install is 64. I had the problem with 2 different flatpak apps - "CopyQ" and "Protonmail Bridge". This is not a major issue for me as I have installed alternatives for both. Still curious though.
About seeing the error in the terminal. Neither of these apps started in the the GUI so I tried launching them from the terminal in order to check for error messages. Both modules are installed.

Aravisian

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:35:32 am

gpolkga wrote:I'm not not on Wayland. Flatpak install is 64. I had the problem with 2 different flatpak apps - "CopyQ" and "Protonmail Bridge". This is not a major issue for me as I have installed alternatives for both. Still curious though.
About seeing the error in the terminal. Neither of these apps started in the the GUI so I tried launching them from the terminal in order to check for error messages. Both modules are installed.

Sounds like you should be in the clear... Will look into CopyQ and (I use protonmail, too :D) Protonmail Bridge. See if I can find anything... Might need to give a couple days before I come crying back into the thread of what failure I am.

Aravisian

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:05:03 am

Try running with
Code:
flatpak run --share=ipc <name of program>

I think it may be a conflict with latest kernel.

gpolkga

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:09:43 pm

Testing with CopyQ. Using "flatpak run --share=ipc <name of program>" the CopyQ process starts but without the tray icon and same Gtk error message "Failed to to load module..."

Aravisian

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:23:14 pm

gpolkga wrote:Testing with CopyQ. Using "flatpak run --share=ipc <name of program>" the CopyQ process starts but without the tray icon and same Gtk error message "Failed to to load module..."

Did you enter
Code:
flatpak run --share=ipc copyq

?