This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

SOLVED can't remove small rectangular white box on screen

slatco

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:50:29 am

Hello, I've been experimenting with Zorin for a number of years and now I'm using Zorin15 Lite and so far so good. Recently it's developed a small (3/4" by1.5") white rectangular box which is always visible on screen - it has two vertical rows of black dots on each end. I attached a screenshot (hope it worked!) Other than this minor annoyance, Zorin15 lite is working quite well. Thanks for any help with this. Gary

Aravisian

Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:07:11 pm

I dont see it in the screenshot, but maybe I am missing it.

3/4inch by 1 1/2 inch on a screen is huge. The only thing I can think of that would persistently stay and is that size is a New Panel that got started but never completed.
Could you right click your panel, slide to panel Preferences? Check how many active panels you have. IF there is one more than you are supposed to have, murder the interloper and hopefully solve the problem.
If not, we may need a better screenshot...

slatco

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:21:41 am

Hello, thanks for the response! What a noob I am - never thought to right click on it.... However, what are panels used for? Thanks again, Gary

Aravisian

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:32:11 am

slatco wrote:Hello, thanks for the response! What a noob I am - never thought to right click on it.... However, what are panels used for? Thanks again, Gary

The panel is much like the taskbar in windows.
It is a launch point for applications, menus and anything else you dock there.
I use two panels my set up, though I used to use three... just because I am a wild man.
You already have one panel at the bottom of your screen that holds the DockbarX apps, ZorinmenuLite and any other launchers you have.
Here is a screenshot of my panel. The "letter A" on the far left is my App Menu. On the right side is Directory Menu, Firefox, Text editor, Trash applet, Audacious, Terminal and Logout launchers, in order of appearance.

Screenshot_2020-02-02_23-22-15.png

slatco

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:53:09 am

Thanks again for the explanation! i will continue to experiment with this version of Zorin which is, so far, the best one.... Gary