This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to deactivate screensaver

silencer666

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:00:56 am

Hi guys. I'm not going to describe my computer, because I'm sure it's not a hardware problem and there's a simple fix for this.

GOAL: Permanently disable screensaver so I can display my dashboards on the television.

Description of problem:

1. Screen goes blank until I wake it with a mouse. DOES NOT go to lock screen.

2. I've gone to Settings -> Power Management AND Settings -> Screensaver to disable everything that needs to be disabled.

3. After about 10 minutes, screen still goes blank. It is not a problem of the television. Worked fine on my other computer.

Please advise and thank you in advance.

Aravisian

Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:13:24 pm

This is a common one... I recall jumping through hoops to solve this on 12.4 core. On desktops, this is not so problematic, but on Notebooks, it is. This is because there is yet another setting for the Touchpad that has to be configured.
I am in the middle of an engine block at the moment. But I wanted to get a quick reply in to acknowledge that your question has been seen. Will try to get a more detailed reply in later if Swarfendor hasn't rescued it yet.

AlbertoBN

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:30:04 pm

Hi,
I just happened to look at disabling background change and I came across this one here
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1048774/disabling-lock-screen-18-04

I would obviously skip everything UI ubuntu wise but the gsettings option is in fact the equivalent to Gnome Tweaks. So as a suggestion I would try GNOME Tweaks. Once installed and you set things as you like you can uninstall the UI. The settings remain (just did it on a 15.1 Education for keyboard layout change with Alt+Shift)

You can also take a look at this link https://askubuntu.com/questions/1034000/prevent-users-from-changing-the-desktop-background-on-ubuntu-18-04. The second answer is the way to go (with the appropriate key for screensaver) but is has a typo (and due to low reputation purists deleted my fix). It is not
Code:
systemd-db
but
Code:
system-db

Let us know if you had any progress... it is actually intriguing...

Aravisian

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:41:28 pm

Concise, informative and very helpful :D

I forgot to come back to this thread...

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:08:00 pm

And I've been busy on the PS4 playing Blacklight Retribution! :lol: :oops: