This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problems with my tray icons

Aravisian

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:33:50 pm

Can you make sure you are not Logged In under Wayland?
App-Indicator often fails under the Wayland desktop.

If that is not the case,
In terminal, could you try
Code:
sudo apt purge indicator-common
in order to remove that package if present.
Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweaks
to install gnome tweak tool
Code:
sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-appindicator
to install current.
Restart your gnome shell and then open gnome tweaks.
Choose "Extensions" from the left pane and then ensure that AppIndicator Support (KStatusNotifierItem/AppIndicator Support) is selected or Checked.
Restart your Gnome Shell, again.
Hopefully, this will help fix the Gnome Extensions issue you are experiencing.

Aravisian

Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:07:46 pm

Moloch1994 wrote:Hey, thanks for replying.
Aravisian wrote:Can you make sure you are not Logged In under Wayland?
App-Indicator often fails under the Wayland desktop.

How can I check it?

In terminal you can enter:
Code:
echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

If you are on Wayland, it should return the answer "gnome-wayland."
If you are on Gnome desktop, it will return "gnome."
If you are on XFCE4 Desktop, it will return "xfce."

Alternatively, you can enter into terminal
Code:
echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

If you are on Gnome or XFCE4, it will return "x11."
If you are on Wayland, it will return "xwayland."

Aravisian

Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:08:57 pm

Moloch1994 wrote:Okay, I figured I could try.

Yep, you could.
Moloch1994 wrote:Did everything as instructed and right now all the tray icons are in place and Steam icon's context menu is working (hadn't worked today). Can't say with absolute confidence that it's permanently fixed yet, but it seems very likely for now. If the issue reoccurs I'll post here again. Thank you very much for the help, Aravisian! :D

Probably but yes, if it stumbles later, come back and berate my failures.

Aravisian

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:48:43 am

Moloch1994 wrote:I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I think it's not fixed after all. The Steam icon disappeared again. :(

See? You can't believe everything you read on the internet.

Ok...
Can you run
Code:
apt list --installed | grep indicator

in terminal and post back the result?

Aravisian

Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:40:19 pm

Moloch1994 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:
Moloch1994 wrote:I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I think it's not fixed after all. The Steam icon disappeared again. :(

See? You can't believe everything you read on the internet.

Ok...
Can you run
Code:
apt list --installed | grep indicator

in terminal and post back the result?

Sure
Code:
WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

gir1.2-appindicator-0.1/bionic,now 12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1/bionic,now 12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-shell-extension-appindicator/bionic,bionic,now 18.04.1 all [installed]
gnome-shell-extension-zorin-appindicator/bionic,bionic,now 26.1 all [installed,automatic]
indicator-appmenu/bionic,now 15.02.0+16.10.20160927-0ubuntu3 amd64 [installed,auto-removable]
libappindicator-dev/bionic,now 12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
libappindicator1/bionic,now 12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libappindicator3-1/bionic,now 12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libindicator3-7/bionic,now 16.10.0+18.04.20180321.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libindicator7/bionic,now 16.10.0+18.04.20180321.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]

Can you remove the following (by using "sudo apt-get remove --purge _____")
gir1.2-appindicator-0.1/bionic,now 12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-shell-extension-zorin-appindicator/bionic,bionic,now 26.1 all [installed,automatic]
libappindicator1/bionic,now 12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
After which do
Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

Reboot system and relay results?

If that fails, you may need to do
Code:
sudo apt remove indicator-*

to remove ALL indicators. Then try this again:
Aravisian wrote:
Code:
sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-appindicator
to install current.
Restart your gnome shell and then open gnome tweaks.
Choose "Extensions" from the left pane and then ensure that AppIndicator Support (KStatusNotifierItem/AppIndicator Support) is selected or Checked.
Restart your Gnome Shell, again.

Moloch1994

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:04:17 pm

I apologize for not responding earlier, but my account seemingly vanished from this website. I tried emailing the Board Administrator as it was suggested, but got no reply from him. So I just went and created the same exact account, using the same username and the same email. I dunno what happened.

Moloch1994

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:06:08 pm

I think my comments aren't even getting posted, what's going on :evil:

Moloch1994

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:21:49 pm

Aravisian wrote:Can you remove the following (by using "sudo apt-get remove --purge _____")

Okay, so I did that, and it seems it didn't remove anything. From what I can tell, it says "Package 'X' is not installed, so not removed" about every single package
Aravisian wrote:After which do
Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

Reboot system and relay results?

When I enter that, it offers me to remove a whole lot of stuff that seems kinda important. Like 340+ MB of stuff. Are you sure I should do that?

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:39:23 pm

No issue with Riseup VPN here after several logouts and back in again it is there.

Riseup vpn.jpg

And you did install the classic (stable) version?:

Code:
sudo snap install riseup-vpn --classic

https://snapcraft.io/riseup-vpn

Aravisian

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:19:09 pm

Moloch1994 wrote:Okay, so I did that, and it seems it didn't remove anything. From what I can tell, it says "Package 'X' is not installed, so not removed" about every single package

, Ok so those were already removed from the last action.

Moloch1994 wrote:When I enter that, it offers me to remove a whole lot of stuff that seems kinda important. Like 340+ MB of stuff. Are you sure I should do that?

Heh, no, do not do that. I think we may need to set a time later to add your programs to Manually installed.
In the meantime, since it listed those packages as clearly removed, there is no need for a "cleaning" action.

I also see something very strange in this thread: All your posts are gone. I see your comments about having to remake your account.
I have Never Seen that Happen, before.:|

Please try Swarfendors suggestion, above. If that fails...

I also have been coming across the Tray Icon complaint from others across a wide variety of forums, not just this one and all are using Distros based on Ubuntu 18.04. I see a common trend.
I am not suggesting "giving up" but- It may be worthwhile to try Zorin 12.4 LTS or Linux Mint...

Moloch1994

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:49:08 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:No issue with Riseup VPN here after several logouts and back in again it is there.

Riseup vpn.jpg

And you did install the classic (stable) version?:

Code:
sudo snap install riseup-vpn --classic

https://snapcraft.io/riseup-vpn

What does VPN have to do with anything?

Moloch1994

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:56:13 am

Aravisian wrote:I also see something very strange in this thread: All your posts are gone. I see your comments about having to remake your account.
I have Never Seen that Happen, before.:|

So it's not just me, huh? It's like my whole existence on this website just vanished.
Aravisian wrote:Please try Swarfendors suggestion, above. If that fails...

I don't understand. Why do I need that VPN? How's it gonna solve my tray problem?
Aravisian wrote:I also have been coming across the Tray Icon complaint from others across a wide variety of forums, not just this one and all are using Distros based on Ubuntu 18.04. I see a common trend.
I am not suggesting "giving up" but- It may be worthwhile to try Zorin 12.4 LTS or Linux Mint...

Well, tbh since I used some of the commands you recommended (before my account disappeared), I've mostly been having a problem with the Steam icon. The rest of them seem to be working fine and not disappearing. Steam's icon doesn't disappear most of the time, but it just doesn't work (left or right click doesn't spawn the context menu). I added Steam icon to Favourites and spawn the menu from there, so it's not a huge issue for me right now. I'd still like it fixed, but I can do without it in the meantime. Please let me know if you can solve this problem in future. Thank you!

Aravisian

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:13:46 am

Moloch1994 wrote:So it's not just me, huh? It's like my whole existence on this website just vanished.

Yes, Swarfendor sent a note to AZorin about that.
Moloch1994 wrote:Well, tbh since I used some of the commands you recommended (before my account disappeared), I've mostly been having a problem with the Steam icon. The rest of them seem to be working fine and not disappearing. Steam's icon doesn't disappear most of the time, but it just doesn't work (left or right click doesn't spawn the context menu). I added Steam icon to Favourites and spawn the menu from there, so it's not a huge issue for me right now. I'd still like it fixed, but I can do without it in the meantime. Please let me know if you can solve this problem in future. Thank you!

All the "fixes" I can find so far,
https://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/d ... 902871693/
seem to be the same stuff we have covered. I bet the fix will turn out to be something very simple.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:59:41 pm

Had another look at this from the Ubuntu angle and it appears that problems started with 18.04 on which Zorin 15 is based, based on what I have found here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1084091 ... 8-04-gnome

and here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2403720

I've also looked at Configuration Editor but that seems unfinished work (I spotted a link to disable screen-lock but pairing with existing system options not possible "we are looking to include that in a later release" - LOL! not!)