This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My taskbar keeps getting messed up!

shmotzy

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:51:34 am

Okay, so I configure my taskbar at the bottom of my desktop the way I want it...then when I reboot some icons are either missing or moved around!! What the heck causes this?? My cairo dock works fine, however!

madvinegar

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:16:12 am

Since you are using the cairo dock, I suggest that you change your look to "Gnome Look" and delete completely the bar at the bottom.

It has been reported many times that the panel bar in the win7 look has these problems (I had them myself) but if you change to Gnome look you will never face these problems again. Trust me! :-)

(You have seen a photo of my desktop so you can get the idea).

shmotzy

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:29:33 pm

okay I will switch to Gnome look!

madvinegar

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24:07 pm

In order zorin to create a very accurate windows environment, the windows looks have various bugs... :lol:

The only stable look is the gnome look, as it should be. :D

shmotzy

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:00:50 pm

Yes those are the quirky things that have been happening! I switched to Gnome, still had some things jump around. I want to delete the taskbar altogether, but for some reason I cannot select "delete this panel!" What's up with that?? ALSO where do I go to delete the My Computer and Home Folders, and the trash icons on the desktop?? Thanks!!!

madvinegar

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:10:48 am

shmotzy wrote:ALSO where do I go to delete the My Computer and Home Folders, and the trash icons on the desktop?? Thanks!!!

Follow these instructions:

Press Alt+F2.
Write gconf-editor and press enter.
Navigate to apps -> nautilus -> desktop.

Uncheck the boxes:

computer_icon_visible
home_icon_visible
trash_icon_visible

In the same way you can re-appear them whenever you want.

(I see another sticky coming up... :lol: )

madvinegar

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:41:54 pm

No problem my friend. Just trying to help the fellow members!

shmotzy

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:48:55 pm

Aha! I forgot about nautilus! Silly me! I will try that tonight!