This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't add remote CUPS printer

dinki

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:37:11 am

Hey guys, I'm struggling trying to add some CUPS printers to my newly installed Zorin desktop. The printers are on my file server running Open Media Vault (Debian). I've been able to use them on all our devices previously. These include Chromebooks, iPhone, and Windows 7 computer.

I'm migrating my Win 7 machine to Zorin and these printers are the last thing keeping me from calling the transition complete. I'm hoping someone can help.

For Windows I was able to add the printer as a network printer using:
```
https://192.168.0.125:631/printers/Brot ... lack_White
```

I tried doing this from Settings->Additional Printer Settings->Add->Network Printer->Internet Printing Protocol (HTTPS) . The device is added but I cannot print a test page.

I did try doing Settings->Additional Printer Settings-> Server -> Connect->CUPS Server (192.168.0.125) then logged in and I can see the printers I want to use and can print test page just fine. I just can't figure out how to get those to use with Zorin. I'm probably missing something obvious but I've been troubleshooting this for a couple hours and would certainly appreciate some pointers. Many thanks!

Aravisian

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:52:17 am

Will the steps in the Ubuntu Documentation guide here help?: https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/cups.html

dinki

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:49:00 am

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I'm still having problems. I did try changing the 'Listen' to my CUPS server but it still doesn't see it. I found the logs and it tells me this:

```
E [27/Dec/2019:22:12:43 -0600] [cups-deviced] PID 7129 (gutenprint52+usb) stopped with status 1!
E [27/Dec/2019:22:16:46 -0600] Unable to open listen socket for address 192.168.0.125:631 - Cannot assign requested address.
```

I can almost bet that if I plug the printer directly into the Zorin machine I'd be able to print but I'm trying to make this machine an on demand use rather than an always on machine so I'd like to keep the CUPS server and printers where they are.

Aravisian

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:06:38 am

dinki wrote:Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I'm still having problems. I did try changing the 'Listen' to my CUPS server but it still doesn't see it. I found the logs and it tells me this:

```
E [27/Dec/2019:22:12:43 -0600] [cups-deviced] PID 7129 (gutenprint52+usb) stopped with status 1!
E [27/Dec/2019:22:16:46 -0600] Unable to open listen socket for address 192.168.0.125:631 - Cannot assign requested address.
```

I can almost bet that if I plug the printer directly into the Zorin machine I'd be able to print but I'm trying to make this machine an on demand use rather than an always on machine so I'd like to keep the CUPS server and printers where they are.

Hmm...
Could you please try
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge printer-driver-gutenprint

If successfully removed, then proceed to also remove then reinstall CUPS.

dinki

Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:09:26 pm

Thanks for your help. I did try that and it didn't work. I did manage to get it to work though. If you look at my previous thread about extra printers popping up you'll see that I turned off avahi. I ended up restarting it and I found the printers I needed to use. They had cryptic names like 'printer', 'model', and something else but through process of elimination I ended up finding them and can now print.

I appreciate the help you guys are providing!

Aravisian

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:19:25 am

dinki wrote:Thanks for your help. I did try that and it didn't work. I did manage to get it to work though. If you look at my previous thread about extra printers popping up you'll see that I turned off avahi. I ended up restarting it and I found the printers I needed to use. They had cryptic names like 'printer', 'model', and something else but through process of elimination I ended up finding them and can now print.

Note to self: Avahi, future reference...

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:24:33 pm

Aravisian wrote:
dinki wrote:Thanks for your help. I did try that and it didn't work. I did manage to get it to work though. If you look at my previous thread about extra printers popping up you'll see that I turned off avahi. I ended up restarting it and I found the printers I needed to use. They had cryptic names like 'printer', 'model', and something else but through process of elimination I ended up finding them and can now print.

Hi Aravisian,

For your future reference:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15180&p=67883#p67888

Aravisian

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:26:35 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

Hi Aravisian,

For your future reference:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15180&p=67883#p67888

Thanks, I need all the help I can get :D