This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Weak Intermittent WiFi

Aravisian

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:24:18 am

JeffK969 wrote:More importantly, I have very weak wifi that keeps cutting out, weak signal strength. Have tried several fixes, none have worked. Any suggestions my Pal...
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Right off the bat, if you have not tried this already, can you try:
Get and install:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new/

Code:
cd rtlwifi_new

Code:
make

Code:
sudomake install

Code:
sudo modprobe -r rtl8723be

Let's try selection one:
Code:
sudo modprobe rtl8723be ant_sel=1

Check signal strength:
Code:
iwlist scan | egrep -i 'ssid|quality'

Try Selection two:
Code:
sudo modprobe rtl8723be ant_sel=2

Then, again:
Code:
iwlist scan | egrep -i 'ssid|quality'

If sel=1 gives the strongest signal, set it with
Code:
echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf

If sel=2 gives the strongest signel, set with:
Code:
echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf

JeffK969

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:18:54 pm

Awww, you posted this for me... Thanks Pal. Here's what I have tried thus far:
https://connectwww.com/how-to-solve-rea ... untu/4625/
cd Desktop
cd rtlwifi_new-master
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=2

Also: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1043384 ... ew-desktop
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install r8168-dkms to install the r8168 kernel driver (suppressing the r8169 driver that came default with the kernel)

And: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1037323 ... -also-very
sudo modprobe -r rtl8723de
sudo modprobe rtl8723de ant_sel=2

As well as: https://askubuntu.com/questions/887238/ ... untu-16-04
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
add the following line: options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
sudo modprobe -r ath9k
sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1

Aravisian

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:19:13 am

JeffK969 wrote:Awww, you posted this for me... Thanks Pal. Here's what I have tried thus far:
https://connectwww.com/how-to-solve-rea ... untu/4625/
cd Desktop
cd rtlwifi_new-master
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=2

Also: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1043384 ... ew-desktop
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install r8168-dkms to install the r8168 kernel driver (suppressing the r8169 driver that came default with the kernel)

And: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1037323 ... -also-very
sudo modprobe -r rtl8723de
sudo modprobe rtl8723de ant_sel=2

As well as: https://askubuntu.com/questions/887238/ ... untu-16-04
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
add the following line: options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
sudo modprobe -r ath9k
sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1

I don't know if you can test your signal in other ways,like if you have a notebook available that you can move around your home, use a different O.S. on, etc. Might not hurt to test your wifi signal.

I also have been experiencing this problem for a few months, but in my case, I have already determined that it is the router at fault.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:48:32 pm

If you have a smartphone, try Wifi Analyser from Kewlsoft - you will also pick up information about your neighbor's wifi channels to see if there is a clash. On the PS4 I have had issues until changing to (hate to say it) Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and DNS2 8.8.4.4 - connection is now pretty instant. You could also try changing DNS to cloudflare's:

https://developers.cloudflare.com/1.1.1 ... 1.1/linux/

JeffK969

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:38:00 pm

I hear what you're saying Aravisian, about moving around. When I've had Zorin Lite, Linux Mint Cinnamon, Mate or Solus (or even one of my all-time fav's Chalet OS back in the day) installed on the same PC, as either primary or in dual boot, I didn't have this issue. And I find it funny or weird, because Mint is also Ubuntu based. It's only been with Zorin Ultimate/Core. Don't understand. Maybe I'll just go back to ZLite, and have it resolved once and for all. Or Mint. I'll think about it for a few days...

Aravisian

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:19:36 pm

JeffK969 wrote:I hear what you're saying Aravisian, about moving around. When I've had Zorin Lite, Linux Mint Cinnamon, Mate or Solus (or even one of my all-time fav's Chalot OS back in the day) installed on the same PC, as either primary or in dual boot, I didn't have this issue. And I find it funny or weird, because Mint is also Ubuntu based. It's only been with Zorin Ultimate/Core. Don't understand. Maybe I'll just go back to ZLite, and have it resolved once and for all. Or Mint. I'll think about it for a few days...

It may well be a problem with Zorin Core, then. And if so, it needs to be known or otherwise it cannot be resolved.
I certainly did not make the suggestion to move the location closer to your modem to protect the sanctity of Zorin 15. Rather, to assess if there could be a fault that is easy to address, first.
I have had a much easier time with Zorin 15 lite. That said, with Zorin 15 Core, I had bundles of issues.
What you demonstrate in this post is extensive testing and Zorin 15 stands out as the only one with the issue. Sounds pretty convincing, to me.
Let's try shooting a message to AZorin and see if he can review the issue.

EDIT: Sent a link of this thread and a (very) quick summary of experiences to AZorin.

JeffK969

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:50:14 pm

Thanks for your help. I believe, it may be some sort of conflict with Ultimate/Core(Ultimate 15.1 is on it now, had Core 15 for a while prior) so I at this stage am thinking of just re-installing Lite. I do personally like Lite better anyways. Just wanted to use both, but oh well. I don't want anyone to take another second of their time to think about this.

Aravisian

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:56:36 pm

JeffK969 wrote: I don't want anyone to take another second of their time to think about this.

You are not the only person that has experienced it. I think that IF there is a deeper issue with Zorin Core and Ultimate on this topic, it is best checked out.

JeffK969

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:24:31 am

Hey Pal... So I took your advice, and PM'd AZ. Didn't hear anything back yet. I also installed Linux Mint Cinn in a dual boot to see how the WIFI acted. Although not as strong as I'd prefer, it would range between 32-50, it always connected and only dropped out once during 1 week. I would use it for a bit, then boot into Z Ult. Would wait, and wait to connect to wifi. Up to 12 minutes 1 evening. Signal would never go above 46. Would say Weak most of the time, but would get OK once in a blue. Had enough.
Z Ult Lie is now installed, connects quickly, and not 1 drop. So I'm happy. All is good.

Aravisian

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:00:50 am

JeffK969 wrote:Hey Pal... So I took your advice, and PM'd AZ. Didn't hear anything back yet. I also installed Linux Mint Cinn in a dual boot to see how the WIFI acted. Although not as strong as I'd prefer, it would range between 32-50, it always connected and only dropped out once during 1 week. I would use it for a bit, then boot into Z Ult. Would wait, and wait to connect to wifi. Up to 12 minutes 1 evening. Signal would never go above 46. Would say Weak most of the time, but would get OK once in a blue. Had enough.
Z Ult Lie is now installed, connects quickly, and not 1 drop. So I'm happy. All is good.

Sounds like Gnome Desktop, then. Mint and Zorin Lite both use Mate (Cinnamon) and XFCE desktop.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:25:39 pm

I can't see how DE's effect WiFi - it should purely be driver/kernel issue ... and it might be that Lite uses a different Kernel to Core. If older kit, may need an earlier kernel? Just a thought. ;) :D

JeffK969

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:45:02 pm

I honestly am not sure of the how's, why's and what's. All I know is poor WIFI with Z Ult. OK WIFI with Mint Cinn. Even better with Z Ult Lite.
Hey, I'm happy with Lite. I have zero qualms. I prefer Ult Lite over Ult anyhoo. I was just hoping to learn a bit more over time by using Ult.
There's so much to learn in linux and I'm already way behind schedule....lol I may have to do a Vulcan Mind Meld with Swarf & Aravi...Hmmmm
But to get back to what you say Swarf, could it be something with the particular driver in conjunction with the kernel? Just talking aloud...
ZLite rocks, so I'm good.... Very Good...

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:16:47 pm

Aravisian can you tell me what kernel Lite has and another thought has occurred to me, the accursed Systemd trash! Would I be correct in thinking Systemd isn't present in xfce?

Aravisian

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:55:26 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Aravisian can you tell me what kernel Lite has and another thought has occurred to me, the accursed Systemd trash! Would I be correct in thinking Systemd isn't present in xfce?

Kernel 5.0.0-37 though I am running 4.15.0-74.

XFCE is desktop, but yes, uses Systemd and not another init alternative.

JeffK969 wrote: so, I'm good...

For now. XFCE is switching to being much more like GNome 3 in version 4.16, doing away with the XFWM window manager entirely and switching to full CSD.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:19:17 pm

Aravisian wrote:
For now. XFCE is switching to being much more like GNome 3 in version 4.16, doing away with the XFWM window manager entirely and switching to full CSD.

Aaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh! :twisted:

AZorin

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:29:13 pm

Hi guys! Apologies for the late reply.
It looks like the issue might be caused by a slightly older kernel in the non-Lite editions of Zorin OS. The Linux kernel has recently been upgraded from version 5.0 to 5.3 in the repositories, which usually brings with it new better hardware drivers.
I would recommend making sure the latest updates have been installed from the Software Updater.