This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 15 Automatic Login issue

criticalchit

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:04:54 am

Hey yall,

This is my first experience with Linux, so its entirely possible I'm doing something wrong, but here goes.

When I first installed Zorin OS yesterday (dual boot with win7), I selected automatic login. When I disable it and reboot, I can select which os to boot to, but as soon as I select Zorin, it hangs on a black screen and never prompts for a password. The only way I can get through it is to go to the recovery mode menu, then continue to boot, which is obviously not ideal. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Aravisian

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:31:02 pm

That is not ideal, at all.
I would recommend that you re-install and do so using the steps outlined in Swarfendors Guide, here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14361#p63543
Download and scroll to Installation.
It covers the "Something Else" method and Dual Boot with Windows.

criticalchit

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:36:52 pm

No progress at all. In order to boot, I have to first enter recovery mode. If I enable Automatic Login under Users, this is resolved, but then I don't have the initial login screen - jumps straight to my desktop.

Aravisian

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:16:11 pm

criticalchit wrote:No progress at all. In order to boot, I have to first enter recovery mode. If I enable Automatic Login under Users, this is resolved, but then I don't have the initial login screen - jumps straight to my desktop.

Enabling auto-login will cause you to not get a login screen.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:44:54 pm

Also you will have issues installing anything as to upgrade your user status to 'root' you need ... your login password! :roll: