This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How to move a folder and files using nautilus

ozstar

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:40:43 am

Hi,

I am trying to move some folders from opt/lampp/htdocs to var/www/html/ but permissions as root keep stopping me. Have tried a few thing to no avail. Seemed there was gksu but that is now defunct.

Code:
Error moving file /opt/lampp/htdocs/1300rentbuy: Permission denied

I initially tried to set up the webserver using the lampp pack but since then are doing it manually piece by piece.. tho' it is taking forever and still stuck with Apache.

To keep it clean, I guess I need to uninstall the files etc that came down with lampp correct ?

How to do: Just delete the lampp folder or..

Thanks

ozstar

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:27:40 am

Well I found one way of moving the files.

Open File Manager ( I think mine is Nautilus as default) as Administrator the open another install window of FM as Administrator, the n drag from one window to the other. Worked anyway even it is unorthodox.

Still not sure about how to get lampp and all its pak out.

Aravisian

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:08:33 am

ozstar wrote:Well I found one way of moving the files.

Open File Manager ( I think mine is Nautilus as default) as Administrator the open another install window of FM as Administrator, the n drag from one window to the other. Worked anyway even it is unorthodox.

Still not sure about how to get lampp and all its pak out.

With gksu gone, you may use 'pkexec' in its place.
Or, as you have done already, open a terminal and type in
Code:
sudo su
and proceed that way.
You may use the "mv" or "cp" commands in terminal or use GUI File Manager opened in elevated privileges as you have done already.

ozstar

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:45:57 am

Thanks. So at least 3 options.

I didn't get pkexec because I read I may have to get other permissions etc with it.

Aravisian

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:57:34 am

ozstar wrote:Thanks. So at least 3 options.

I didn't get pkexec because I read I may have to get other permissions etc with it.

I get WHY gksu went the way of the dinosaur...
But I am one of those... I get used to doing something a certain way and... Someone tells me to use "pkexec" instead and I go "Don't tell me what to do, man."
I still have not figured out all the nuances of pkexec. It doesn't always work, for one. Two, it seems more like a workaround than a replacement. It doesn't perform the same function as gksu, it just fills some of the gaps gksu's absence leaves.
So, I generally just use sudo su OR sudo -i in a terminal, then launch that way. This is not that great, either.
Probably in due time, a new 'gksu' will arise.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:43:47 pm

Another alternative and some useful tips in response on this article:

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/04/g ... heres.html

ozstar

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:27:44 pm

Thank you