This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Network at startup, pre-logon

tk1

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:27:43 pm

Hello,

NON-noob to computers, relative noob to Zorin, started with 12.x. Zorin seems to be a great way to transition from Big Brother's Windows, and I really appreciate it. I have been looking at this as a way to get my folks (in their 80's) off Windows.

I tried searching these forums but the search engine kept omitting KEY words (e.g. network, boot). Wow. Moving on..

Zorin 15.1 installed and updated.
Once logged in, no problems with my network (wifi). Works great, less filling. ;) I use static IPv4 only (no IPv6).
For reference, I have Raspberry Pi's w/ latest OS, and can do what I'm trying to do with Zorin, but it works on the Pi's.

Issue:
When I boot up and BEFORE I log in, wifi is NOT connected. I want it to be connected so I can remote (VNC and/or SSH) to the system before logging in. What do I need to do to get this working? I know it can be done in other distributions (as mentioned above), so how do I make this happen in Zorin?

Thank you for your time,
tk1

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:31:04 am

I will PM AZorin and ask him to look at this thread. ;) :D

Aravisian

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:46:30 am

tk1 wrote:Issue:
When I boot up and BEFORE I log in, wifi is NOT connected. I want it to be connected so I can remote (VNC and/or SSH) to the system before logging in. What do I need to do to get this working? I know it can be done in other distributions (as mentioned above), so how do I make this happen in Zorin?

Thank you for your time,
tk1

Does Zorin with Gnome on Zorin 15 still use the old Network manager?
If so, open network manager, edit conncetions, select your current connection, select edit, then under General, check Automatically Connect and check Allow for all Users.

tk1

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:28:56 am

Aravisian wrote:...open network manager, edit conncetions, select your current connection, select edit, then under General, check Automatically Connect and check Allow for all Users.

This seems to have resolved the issue!

Thank you Aravisian!

Also thank you Swarfendor437. I don't think this is a bug, just that I had it misconfigured.

tk1