This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Webserver conf file mystery

ozstar

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:55:12 pm

Hi
This is really strange :-)
I have placed 2 .conf files for 2 websites Apache2 site enabled and site available but something us automatically changing the text in them into the 1 website

E.g. I have mysite1.conf with its name and local folder location in it.
Then I have another mysite2.conf with info about it in it.

I can get to both sites from outside the LAN for a while then all files end up gaving tge sane content about only one of the sites.

?

Aravisian

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:00:08 pm

Ozstar,

It would be deeply appreciated if you would start some threads which are easy to solve. Like, how to shut down your computer, maybe. Or, how to close an active window.

'Cuz what you are doing currently is murder.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:44:28 pm

ozstar

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:55:06 am

Hi,

So sorry to throw this really weird stuff at you but can you imagine what I'm going through?
By the time I get to post here I have tried many things, gone onto other forums and still can't get the answer.

Although I'm enjoying my very slow growth into Linux, I must admit it is really confusing at times as there seems to be so many variables, so many answers which in a way contradict each other.

I have been trying to get into Linux for 15 years or more Red Hat, Fedora, Centos, Mint, Ubuntu and now Zorin 15 but always gave up as I had to spend too much time just trying to get something to work. So many good tutorials but out of date or have different ways of doing things.

Shame there is not one definitive tutorial about how to set up a webserver correctly to the, 'It's working' stage.
I have read I am sure all of them, some are very well written but don't help me and what I am trying to do, which is nothing but get a simple webserver to work with an outside static IP.

You guys have been great and it is crazy to expect you know everything about everything, even though I know you try to help and I am grateful for that, otherwise it feels like you're alone and getting nowhere. One step forward then 2 back ! :-)

Thanks for the link Swarfendor437, whilst it didn't get to exactly what I need, I was able to open a thread there and maybe some of the experts there can assist.

Anyway. Thanks again and we'll keep on keeping on... onward and upward as they say :-)

Aravisian

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:57:48 am

I was teasing you Ozstar.

ozstar

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:31:07 am

Yes of course I know you were and that's how I took it.

Just thought I'd explain where I was coming from too as at times I get so frustrated.

Anyway.. just about to jump onto the 'Backup' thread..

Thanks

Aravisian

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:41:41 am

ozstar wrote:Yes of course I know you were and that's how I took it.

Just thought I'd explain where I was coming from too as at times I get so frustrated.

Anyway.. just about to jump onto the 'Backup' thread..

Thanks

Honestly, I am confident that if you were on Windows 7 or windows 10, you would have just as much frustration.

I suspect that the answer to this OP is quite simple. But we do not know what it is.
Same as you, I have looked up a LOT of tutorials and information to see if I can help. It's exactly as you describe. Mind-boggling and contradictory information is given.
I looked it up as if I was on Windows- same results.
One thing I do know is that when it gets this frustrating, sometimes you need to just hop up and go work on something else (or relax, play, read a book.)
Hopefully some on the other forum you posted questions can help. Try as we might, this is not a Zorin question and it's probably out of our scope.
We can try to help find information but not provide much direct information. And I suspect we have been hitting the same DuckDuckhits that you have.

ozstar

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:54:23 pm

Hi..

Yes you are right this is really not the definitive forum for server probs although you never know where the experienced angels are..

Even on all the other major Linux forums I can't get definitive answers that help me much.

One forum suggested to clear all the host conf files out and start again so I am now at that stage. I have taken all .conf files out except the orig 000-default.conf files.

I have just noticed however that localhost or 127.0.0.1 do not resolve anymore on the Apache page.

Get a 'Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at localhost.'

This tells me there is some confusion ore than likely cause by me changing and rearranging the host conf files to try and get that working.

I have cleared the browser, rebooted the router and stopped and started apache but still no joy.

What else should I try to at least get localhost up ? Like going back to scratch.

Aravisian

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:07:18 am

ozstar wrote:Hi..

Yes you are right this is really not the definitive forum for server probs although you never know where the experienced angels are..

Even on all the other major Linux forums I can't get definitive answers that help me much.

One forum suggested to clear all the host conf files out and start again so I am now at that stage. I have taken all .conf files out except the orig 000-default.conf files.

I have just noticed however that localhost or 127.0.0.1 do not resolve anymore on the Apache page.

Get a 'Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at localhost.'

This tells me there is some confusion more than likely cause by me changing and rearranging the host conf files to try and get that working.

I have cleared the browser, rebooted the router and stopped and started apache but still no joy.

What else should I try to at least get localhost up ? Like going back to scratch.

Had you made a successful back-up previously?
That advice may have been sound for a person that was well in hand and knew what they were doing but had one small error. But considering how many hoops you jumped through to get this far with a high probability of not being sure what steps got you here... I wouldn't have suggested that first.
Heck, I even anticipated some trouble and suggested you make a ack up a couple days ago in case all the work was lost.

ozstar

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:52:23 am

Hoops ! Wow I feel like like a kangaroo with all the jumpin' I'm doing...

I still get the No permission with the Deja Backup and don't quite know what files to save on the RedoBack up CD. I don't need any compressing or imaging as I have plenty of space. Just to get the structure over, just in case...
I have anyway manually copied the whole Home Folder to the 500 Drive I have spare.

I still haven't downloaded and tried any other Backups as I have been so busy with this crazy host file trouble.

Maybe today if I get time.. also will keep trying the Deja

EDIT : AH HAAA.. Looks like the schedule worked. Except this error.. Couldn't backup these files../home/david/.dbus
Went to the 500- disk and the BACKUP directory I created and there were 3 duplicity files. So looks like all good.
So some joy today ! :-)

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14:14 pm

Just remember, just as in Windows so in Linux - if a file is something that is in use (system file) by the OS you won't (or need) to back it up. ;) :D

ozstar

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:37:07 am

yes true..