This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin theme on stock Ubuntu 19.10

mindplay

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:35:36 am

As a life-long Windows user transitioning to Linux, the stock Ubuntu experience was quite unbearable to me, and Zorin was a regular life-saver! :-)

But for various reasons, I have to run a newer Ubuntu 19.10 - for one, because I'm using very new hardware that isn't supported by the Ubuntu 18 distro that Zorin is based on.

So I've been following the instructions here to get a more Zorin-like experience with the various Gnome extensions that come pre-installed and pre-configured with Zorin:

https://bigdaddylinux.com/zorin-os-them ... tribution/

With the Gnome extensions set up, the experience is actually very much like Zorin and I feel much more at home already! :-)

Now, the last step is the theme, which isn't critical to me, as I have the overall experience I wanted - so this is mostly vanity, but I really love the slick, clean looks of the Zorin theme!

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite seem to work when applied to a stock Ubuntu 19.10 - here's a screenshot:

https://imgur.com/a/gx91kzX

As you can see, the switch controls have these peculiar symbols on top of them?

Is this an incompatibility with a (likely newer?) version of Gnome that ships with a newer Ubuntu?

Does the theme have some missing dependencies that aren't bundled with the theme itself?

Or is there some other explanation?

(I know this may be a bit off-topic, but I don't know where else to ask - ideally, I'd be running the Zorin distribution itself, but as explained, that's not currently an option for me, since there's no Ubuntu 19-based edition.)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:57:24 pm

What kernel is present in Ubuntu 19? Zorin 15.1 is now at kernel 5.0. ;) :D

Aravisian

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:06:27 pm

mindplay wrote:
Now, the last step is the theme, which isn't critical to me, as I have the overall experience I wanted - so this is mostly vanity, but I really love the slick, clean looks of the Zorin theme!

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite seem to work when applied to a stock Ubuntu 19.10 - here's a screenshot:

https://imgur.com/a/gx91kzX

As you can see, the switch controls have these peculiar symbols on top of them?

Is this an incompatibility with a (likely newer?) version of Gnome that ships with a newer Ubuntu?

Does the theme have some missing dependencies that aren't bundled with the theme itself?

Or is there some other explanation?

(I know this may be a bit off-topic, but I don't know where else to ask - ideally, I'd be running the Zorin distribution itself, but as explained, that's not currently an option for me, since there's no Ubuntu 19-based edition.)

I cannot see anything else in your screenshot that looks out of place.
The symbols on the switches are normal. That is a USB symbol and what it means is that it is enabled that you can wake your notebook from suspend with any USB device.

mindplay

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:52:49 pm

Aravisian wrote:
mindplay wrote:The symbols on the switches are normal. That is a USB symbol and what it means is that it is enabled that you can wake your notebook from suspend with any USB device.

I don't think you understand - these are everywhere, every single switch in every app, not just those that have to do with USB.

On a real Zorin OS, I'm seeing checkmark and an "x":

https://imgur.com/a/k1CMP3t

On Ubuntu, every switch appears to have the USB icon and a circled x - they don't work at these sizes at all. (I would have never guessed that was a USB icon.)

Maybe it has to do with the font?

I could try installing whatever font Zorin uses, I guess. I'd prefer not having these icons at all though...

zabadabadoo

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:07:32 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:What kernel is present in Ubuntu 19? Zorin 15.1 is now at kernel 5.0. ;) :D

FYI. My Z15.1 Core is now on kernel 5.3.0-26 after software update I ran on 18/1/20.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:16:33 pm

The 'icons' are switch settings within 'Settings' of each element. I'm using a 'Candy' Icon theme to compliment my 80's style desktop:

Switches.jpg

mindplay

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:27:23 am

Uh, this gets stranger still.

The assets inside the actual theme have the checkmark and "x" - and looking inside the SVG file, those are shapes, not text.

https://github.com/ZorinOS/zorin-deskto ... gle-on.svg

I checked, and those are the files I have installed locally - I `git pull` them from the actual repository, so.

How is it possible I'm seeing something else than what's in the actual files??

Aravisian

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:24:14 pm

mindplay wrote:Uh, this gets stranger still.

The assets inside the actual theme have the checkmark and "x" - and looking inside the SVG file, those are shapes, not text.

https://github.com/ZorinOS/zorin-deskto ... gle-on.svg

I checked, and those are the files I have installed locally - I `git pull` them from the actual repository, so.

How is it possible I'm seeing something else than what's in the actual files??

That IS strange. Because the icons look the same other than the symbols.
The only thing I could figure is if there is an "else/if" command or in your theme gtk.css an "-gtk-icon-source" that is unusual. Are you using the Zorin theme?
If so, did you install the theme in its entirety? (Icon theme, .css theme, etc.)

mindplay

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:01:40 pm

Aravisian wrote:That IS strange. Because the icons look the same other than the symbols.
The only thing I could figure is if there is an "else/if" command or in your theme gtk.css an "-gtk-icon-source" that is unusual. Are you using the Zorin theme?
If so, did you install the theme in its entirety? (Icon theme, .css theme, etc.)

I followed the instructions here:

Is there another way to install it? (like from a proper package maybe? rather than cloning and manually installing?)

Aravisian

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:55:21 pm

mindplay wrote:
Aravisian wrote:That IS strange. Because the icons look the same other than the symbols.

I followed the instructions here:

Is there another way to install it? (like from a proper package maybe? rather than cloning and manually installing?)

Installing a theme is as simple as placing the extracted theme in /usr/share/themes or in your home folder: ~ /.themes
What I did was I downloaded it as a package from the same site you did and examined it. The package is proper...
You might try using the Zorin Repository
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable

But I wonder if something else is interferring. I am not familiar with Pop! OS defaults. Can you check your HOME folder for a hidden folder titled .themes and see if it has any contents?
Check your HOME folder for .config/gtk-3.0/ folder as well and see if there are any contents there that are instructing your gnome-shell to use different icons than normal.
You may also check using Gnome-Tweak Tool
Code:
gnome-tweaks
and see if anything is switched on that may interfere.

mindplay

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:23:07 pm

I don't have a ".themes" folder in my home folder.

I do have a ".config/gtk-3.0" as well as ".config/gtk-4.0", but both of those just contain an ini file a single flag "prefer_dark_mode", doesn't seem relevant.

In gnome-tweaks, I only have the 3 extensions enabled that were listed in that article.

The really baffling part is that these aren't even "icons" in that sense - as far as I can tell, the checkbox and x are just shapes within those SVG files.

I wonder if it's actually using those SVG files though, or if those are just there so you can go back and make changes? There's a PNG version next to each SVG file. Might have to drill through the CSS file itself to get to the bottom of this...

star treker

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:55:15 pm

Has Ubuntu 19.10 changed so much from previous versions, that you don't have a themes folder? Oh that is highly disturbing. Maybe go with Zorin OS, then install XFCE desktop to get the full powers of customization and theaming. :)

Aravisian

Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:37:20 pm

mindplay wrote:
The really baffling part is that these aren't even "icons" in that sense - as far as I can tell, the checkbox and x are just shapes within those SVG files.

I wonder if it's actually using those SVG files though, or if those are just there so you can go back and make changes? There's a PNG version next to each SVG file. Might have to drill through the CSS file itself to get to the bottom of this...

They are-or not. But it doesn't matter because if part of the .svg is used, all of it gets used. You cannot separate them out.
Well, at least, the system doesn't in use. This is why I was asking you to check if a different gnome-shell theme may be prioritized. If you had a theme installed in your /usr/share/themes folder but then had another in your home /.themes folder, the one in .themes would take priority.
I examined the .css file and I could not find anything at all that would replace the -gtk-icon-source.
I'm honestly, mystified.

star treker wrote:Has Ubuntu 19.10 changed so much from previous versions, that you don't have a themes folder? Oh that is highly disturbing. Maybe go with Zorin OS, then install XFCE desktop to get the full powers of customization and theaming. :)

No, the .themes folder is usually created by the user, not by default. Default uses the /usr/share/themes folder for Ubuntu.

mindplay

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:46:10 am

Yeah, this is baffling.

This is a stock Ubuntu 19.10, and practically all I've done is install those 3 Gnome extensions and copy the theme to "/usr/share/themes", so no way is there a second copy of the theme somewhere - I couldn't even pick the theme in gnome-tweaks before I moved it to that folder.

I've opened an issue on GitHub to ask the developers:

https://github.com/ZorinOS/zorin-deskto ... s/issues/6