This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Stuck at Logo Splashscreen

HowBoutSomePeas

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09:24 am

New hopeful Zorin (and Linux) user here. I've searched a lot for a solution to this issue, and found some similar things, but nothing that could help me.

I just installed Zorin Lite on an Acer Chromebook 15, however when I boot up it gets stuck on the Zorin logo. It sits there with its slowly pulsating glow for about 30 minutes, and then it stops pulsating and is just frozen.

I had Manjaro installed on it before this, and it worked fine.

Any ideas about what's going on?

Here are the stats of the computer

15.6" Anti-Glare HD WLED Backlight Display 1366x 768 with Acer ComfyView Technology; HD Webcam
Intel Celeron Dual Core N3060 1.6GHz boost up to 2.48GHz; 2GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB Flash SSD
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265; Bluetooth 4.0; 2 x USB 3.0; HDMI; Intel HD Graphics 400
Google Chrome OS; 3-cell Lithium Polymer up to 7hr battery life; 4.3 lbs

Thank you

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:14:23 pm

Sorry friend but the specs of your Chromebook are very lowspec, especially having only 16Gb Storage as that is the bare minimum for Zorin to install to. I would trade in your Chromebook for a decent notebook with more storage, and preferably one that has HDD not SSD. ;) :D

HowBoutSomePeas

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:32:54 pm

Well after spending the better part of 2 days trying to get it to work, I merely had break down and ask for help, and that was the trick to figuring it out.

I will tell you how I fixed it, in case it's interesting to anyone.

I suspect the problem had something to do with how I wanted the install to be. I was trying to put the operating system on the little internal 16gb drive, and the home directory on a more impressively sized 128gb flash drive, which I would keep stuck in the laptop permanently. That way the operating system could be on the faster drive, and I could still have space for stuff. I tried this at least 7 times, improving my technique as I went (I think), but I never got it to boot.

I eventually achieved my goals by taking out the flash drive and letting Zorin do its auto install on the internal storage. Then after that was done, I followed this tutorial to move my home folder to the flash drive. https://net2.com/moving-the-home-folder-to-another-partition-in-ubuntu/ That seems to have worked great.

I'm still perplexed about what the problem was doing it during in the installer. I'm pretty confident I was doing it right. But oh well it's working now. Thanks for reading!

Edit: Oop you replied while I was writing. Didn't see it. Thanks, yeah it's a small drive, but it seems to be running fine for now.

Aravisian

Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:50:48 pm

HowBoutSomePeas wrote:Well after spending the better part of 2 days trying to get it to work, I merely had break down and ask for help, and that was the trick to figuring it out.

I will tell you how I fixed it, in case it's interesting to anyone.

I suspect the problem had something to do with how I wanted the install to be. I was trying to put the operating system on the little internal 16gb drive, and the home directory on a more impressively sized 128gb flash drive, which I would keep stuck in the laptop permanently. That way the operating system could be on the faster drive, and I could still have space for stuff. I tried this at least 7 times, improving my technique as I went (I think), but I never got it to boot.

I eventually achieved my goals by taking out the flash drive and letting Zorin do its auto install on the internal storage. Then after that was done, I followed this tutorial to move my home folder to the flash drive. https://net2.com/moving-the-home-folder-to-another-partition-in-ubuntu/ That seems to have worked great.

I'm still perplexed about what the problem was doing it during in the installer. I'm pretty confident I was doing it right. But oh well it's working now. Thanks for reading!

Edit: Oop you replied while I was writing. Didn't see it. Thanks, yeah it's a small drive, but it seems to be running fine for now.

Thanks for coming back to share your solution.
In my own experience, I often find that I help others by nudging them into thinking of a solution they had not yet thought of far more often than by providing them with a knowledgeable solution... And I also find that works on me, as well. I usually solve a problem by persistently keeping at it, often figuring it out by the time someone I asked about it answers:D