This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install Quickbooks via WINE

JettaTDI

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:21:13 pm

Hi all,
I've just completed my first install of Zorin 15.1 and I like the interface. No more Microsoft gimmicks! :D
I opted to leave my Win7 operating system intact and installed on a separate partition, Just in case I should need to run a windows program sometime. In my case here, I run a small machinery repair business and utilize Quickbooks Premier for my accounting. It has worked very well for me and would like to continue using it, despite it being proprietary windows software.
I installed Wine, hoping that I could run QB on it. I've read several other forums where other folks had successfully done so also on Ubuntu. However, during installation QB kicks me out after I enter the product code and it begins install, saying "Installation error: Files already exist". To my knowledge there should be no other files with QB extensions, since I've never had QB on this operating system before. I also unmounted my windows partition just to be sure it cant be seeing int it for some reason (if there is such a thing). Has anyone else had experience with this? Most likely I'm doing something wrong, as I'm very new to Linux systems. Any patience or assistance would be much appreciated!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:02:37 pm

JettaTDI

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:57:11 am

Thanks for your quick reply Swarfendor437, I downloaded and installed Crossover as you suggested and it did install quickbooks. But at the end several error messages popped up too. I'll upload screenshots here and see what ideas you folks may have! Thanks again in advance!

P.S. let me know if you can's see these screenshots as i may not have done it right... I'm new here....
Screenshot from 2020-01-13 23-10-46.png

Screenshot from 2020-01-13 23-12-24.png

Screenshot from 2020-01-13 23-13-16.png

Screenshot from 2020-01-13 23-14-27.png

Screenshot from 2020-01-13 23-38-52.png

Edit- I forgot to mention it, but QB wont open when I attempt to launch it. The last image is of the error message I get when I try to open QB.
Maybe I'm just missing something or not doing it right?

Aravisian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:06:01 am

JettaTDI wrote:Thanks for your quick reply Swarfendor437, I downloaded and installed Crossover as you suggested and it did install quickbooks. But at the end several error messages popped up too. I'll upload screenshots here and see what ideas you folks may have! Thanks again in advance!

P.S. let me know if you can's see these screenshots as i may not have done it right... I'm new here....

Edit- I forgot to mention it, but QB wont open when I attempt to launch it. The last image is of the error message I get when I try to open QB.

It looks like you were using the Windows Installer, yet I see on the Quickbook page that it has a .deb installation file available.
So, your installation was being run by Wine which lacked the proper MSXML component.
Could you please try downloading and installing the .deb file and see how that goes?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:14:09 pm

Aravisian wrote:
JettaTDI wrote:Thanks for your quick reply Swarfendor437, I downloaded and installed Crossover as you suggested and it did install quickbooks. But at the end several error messages popped up too. I'll upload screenshots here and see what ideas you folks may have! Thanks again in advance!

It looks like you were using the Windows Installer, yet I see on the Quickbook page that it has a .deb installation file available.
So, your installation was being run by Wine which lacked the proper MSXML component.
Could you please try downloading and installing the .deb file and see how that goes?

Hi Aravisian, there are no .deb packages to my knowledge for Quick Books as per this alternative method:

http://www.databaseapplications.com.au/ ... _linux.jsp

As for wine I would make some changes in 'winecfg' as per this guide and see if you get any further JettaTDI:

https://www.techyv.com/questions/quickb ... sover-mac/

If you still have your Windows install, you could try running this to find out what dependencies quickbooks uses:

http://dependencywalker.com/

In winecfg there is a window to add named .dll files (you don't need to enter .dll part just the bits in front:

winecfg.jpg

and see if that helps - you may also want to specify that they are to run in windows native environment.

editOverride.jpg

JettaTDI

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:23:40 pm

Perhaps I don't know what I'm looking for, but what I've read is QB only supports using linux as a server... The actual application must be installed on a windows pc. I'll readily admit I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to by the .deb file other than it being the install file for linux distributions? I'm still a greenhorn when it comes too this stuff....
I'm a bit surprised I cant get it to work because form what I've read on other forums it sounds like it's very possible to make it work with even just wine. I wonder if its not a issue on my end or how I'm doing it- and don't be afraid to tell me so if you don't mind walking me through!
Thanks.

JettaTDI

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:25:03 pm

Sorry, I should have refreshed my page before replying. I will thes these changes and see what happens.

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:26:47 am

Ok, I tried the config changes in wine and same results. The first error message if I attempt to open via crossover says "There is no windows program configured to open this type of file".
If I install directly with wine I get this message.
Screenshot from 2020-01-14 17-34-52.png

Presently I have tried wine, Play on Linux, and crossover- each with varying results, but none successful yet. But I think they are all built upon wine?
Is there such a thing that because I have multiple emulators installed that they could be interfering with each other?
Yes I do still have QB installed on a functional win 7 pc. I ran the dependency walker- now what should I do with the info? There's literally Thousands of .dll files it found. Is there a way to somehow sort through and compare with what wine has in its library?? You guys are great, but I'm afraid I'm nearly over my head here.... :?

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:26:38 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Aravisian, there are no .deb packages to my knowledge for Quick Books as per this alternative method:

Heh I am embarrassed. I was about to argue with you... Because I downloaded it to check it prior to making my reply. But prior to making THIS reply, I went to check again by following the link you provided earlier.
The .deb file I downloaded was for Crossover from the site you linked, not quickbooks.

The Missing MSXML on Wine is still correct, however.

That being said, JettaTDI, maybe have a look for an alternative Linux application?
https://alternativeto.net/software/quic ... form=linux
Maybe something on that list will serve you as well.
The reason I suggest it is because Quickbooks has a cuirrent (and past standing) "Garbage" rating on WineHQ for running under Wine4.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=120

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:00:01 am

Interesting (and disappointing) to see that rating :cry: . But most likely you are right. Problem is I've got several years of accounting and customer info on QB and I hate to need to start over. I have actually experimented with GNUcash, it's a nice system but barely seems robust enough for our business here. Most likely I will continue using windows 7 for now in spite of it being unsupported now (Microsoft announced support discontinues today) until I have more time to play around with something else. I would love to get switched over to Linux 100% but it takes time for me to learn the ropes :roll: I will keep checking back here to see if someone came up with a work around, and I'll keep searching for solutions too.

Are you aware of any other emulation software that may work?

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:12:26 am

JettaTDI wrote:Interesting (and disappointing) to see that rating :cry: . But most likely you are right. Problem is I've got several years of accounting and customer info on QB and I hate to need to start over. I have actually experimented with GNUcash, it's a nice system but barely seems robust enough for our business here. Most likely I will continue using windows 7 for now in spite of it being unsupported now (Microsoft announced support discontinues today) until I have more time to play around with something else. I would love to get switched over to Linux 100% but it takes time for me to learn the ropes :roll: I will keep checking back here to see if someone came up with a work around, and I'll keep searching for solutions too.

Are you aware of any other emulation software that may work?

Well, Swarf above suggested Crossover... Wine4 really is the top one. I heard about another being developed recently bu the name escapes me. I will try to look it up.

Aside, I do not recommend using Virtualbox for THIS purpose- but I could be wrong and it may be worth you testing out for yourself. I just think it would bog down a lot.
JSLinux would probably have the same problem. But same possibilities if you want to test it.

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:36:14 am

Ya I tried crossover... But it seems to be just a glorified version of wine too.
Not sure about Virtualbox especially since I already have a dual boot with windows.
Maybe this doesn't belong here but I did do a little search on other accounting software. main issue I have with GNUcsah is it doesn't have Inventory capability. Perhaps Turbocash would be worth checking into, though they don't have a linux version and it would need to be run in wine as well. I'll try the JSLinux and see what happens and let you know. Maybe tomorrow.
Thank you!

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:51:55 am

JettaTDI wrote:Ya I tried crossover... But it seems to be just a glorified version of wine too.
Not sure about Virtualbox especially since I already have a dual boot with windows.

Oh.
yeah, no need for that, then. If you are dual booting- the Immediate problem is solved- you have running access.
Longterm (Hopefully not very long) is to get it all on Linux.
Will look for an update on JSlinux...

I also found this:
https://www.winepak.org/

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:55:52 pm

Virtual Box is really for running other OS's inside of Zorin (such as Windows). I have done this with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit successfully on FerenOS and installed apps to the VB. CrossOver are the programmers behind Wine - CrossOver is the way they get their funding. Wine 5.0 is due out sometime soon and I noticed that your installer is 'MSI' (Microsoft Software Installer) - this invariably fails in Wine (I had the same issue with Serif Web Plus. Can you install using a Setup.exe if there is one present?

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:44:33 pm

I was running the installer off a CD so I think it defaulted to the MSI, but yes I did try just running the setup.exe file as well and had same results.
On the Virtualbox comment- I guess I was of the understanding that if I already have Win7 on a partition that I shouldn't run it a second time in VB. Not sure why I thought this, but obviously it would be an option. I'll probably eventually wish I hadn't saved my Windows- it's stealing 70Gb of space on my SSD.

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:19:40 pm

Hmmm. I'm afraid I can't make JsLinux work here... Looks like it runs in your browser, but we have a very slow internet connection here. Seems like I'm always running against a wall :x

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:05:51 pm

Winepak didn't do anything different for me. now I've got so many different wine this and wine that on here I'm not sure what's what :? Hopefully my programs aren't thinking the same thing!

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44:45 pm

JettaTDI wrote:Winepak didn't do anything different for me. now I've got so many different wine this and wine that on here I'm not sure what's what :? Hopefully my programs aren't thinking the same thing!

The really mind-boggling part is how often many people use this same technique for d@ting.
JettaTDI wrote:Hmmm. I'm afraid I can't make JsLinux work here... Looks like it runs in your browser, but we have a very slow internet connection here. Seems like I'm always running against a wall :x

Yes, JSLinux works out of the browser- it seemed like a possible option avoiding installation woes.
What this leaves us with is:
-Continuing to use Windows or Virtualbox for that application;
-Finding a linux alternative to Quickbooks- I do not know enough about Quickbooks to make any kind of suggestions on which.
-Getting it to install on Wine4. If I can ask, what procedure did you use to install Wine4?

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:35:01 pm

No problem. I read some wine forums and other info on how to install and I came across one that recommended installing the Synaptic package Manager so I get the latest version. So that's what I did. Then from there searched Wine and downloaded and installed the packages. I successfully installed Microsoft Office then, because that's the only recognizable format that QB can use to export data. (I would rather use LibreOffice and support them than another MS product!).
Next, because QB didnt install, I did some more research and installed Play On Linux in hopes that might work (via the software app on Zorin). Got different errors, but still didn't work. Then I came here!
And you guys have been doing your best to help me, it's very much appreciated! Never in a blue moon would I expect to get personal assistance from Quickbooks if I'm attempting a non kosher deal like this (in their opinion). I wish I could do something to help someone else out too because of all the help i've recieved but I'm a novice myself yet.

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:42:34 pm

As far as trying Virtualbox, will I run into issues with it because I have a windows install on the same hard drive? I realize I will be using a lot of space for windows but if It's a viable option I'm willing to give it a try. Maybe I should first reformat the windows partition and make this a Zorin only machine? Or would I be better off to wipe the whole drive to give Zorin priority and utilize the space?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:56:27 pm

Ha! Thought I would download a trial of Quick Books - only works in Browser - no downloads! How Rubbish is that! Also Downloaded Cross Over Trial in anticipation! Hey Ho! :(

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31:40 pm

OK, Think I have found an alternative for you - Odoo:

https://www.capterra.com/p/135618/Odoo/

https://www.odoo.com/page/download

The capterra review was for an old version - the doenload is a .deb package - choose the Community one which is free but does include inventory. ;) :D

Odoo.jpg

Well can't find it anywhere! So hang fire - just entering Odoo in a terminal comes up with a clash and nothing showing in Main Menu Editor! Back to Square 1!

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:01:09 pm

https://www.odoo.com/page/download

Last stable release was three months ago- so it is current.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:11:03 pm

Hi Aravisian, Can't see where it is and currently dog sitting! :D

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:19:04 pm

Hey I had found Odoo also, and was looking into it more. I supposedly installed it, but who knows where it went. Where would it open?

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:21:44 pm

JettaTDI wrote:I supposedly installed it, but who knows where it went.

That's a Windows comment.

If not in your app menu, hit alt+F2 and try launching from there.

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:24:18 pm

Here's a install info link, but I can't get past the second command line before it gives an error.
https://www.odoo.com/documentation/13.0 ... html#linux

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:26:24 pm

Lol. I guess you gotta train me in on all the right terminology :D

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29:14 pm

Ok, so if I go alt+f2 it asks for a command. What kind of command does it take to launch it? (I'll refrain from saying 'run' since thats probably windows only language

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37:24 pm

Normally the name of the app. Try Odoo then try Odoo.

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52:44 pm

Says command not found

I ran Install package again via software. Says it installed just like before. But no option to launch it. alt+f2 did something this time and system monitor shows it running. But where is it?
Screenshot from 2020-01-15 16-47-44.png

Screenshot from 2020-01-15 16-49-26.png

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:19:12 pm

In terminal, can you toss in these (If you have not already done so):
Code:
sudo apt install postgresql -y

Code:
wget -O - https://nightly.odoo.com/odoo.key | apt-key add -

Code:
echo "deb http://nightly.odoo.com/13.0/nightly/deb/ ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/odoo.list

Code:
sudo apt-get update && apt-get install odoo

You may also need Python a3.6 or above
Code:
sudo apt-get install python3

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:24:46 pm

Second line returns "This command can only be used by root". Is that not what sudo does?
Screenshot from 2020-01-15 17-15-48.png

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31:56 pm

I figured it out. :D sudo -i
But I've got a long learning curve here... I was half decent at command line in windows but this is a whole new game!

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:47:05 pm

Everything ran through ok it seemed in the terminal, but Odoo still wont launch visibly

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:44:00 pm

JettaTDI wrote:Everything ran through ok it seemed in the terminal, but Odoo still wont launch visibly

I think it's time to file for Chapter 11.

If you do not have Pip, please install it:
Code:
sudo apt install python3-pip

Code:
sudo apt install python-pip

Then using pip, install some more dependencies...
Code:
sudo pip3 install xlwt

Code:
sudo pip3 install num2words

While I was looking for information on the Odoo site, a Tech Support chat box opened up.
With nothing to lose, I addressed it. Someone answered. Of course, I was emotionally abused by ChatBot as a child, so I wasn't feeling very talkative.
I do not use Odoo nor know anything about it. So I did not know the proper questions to ask, but the person seemed helpful. I do not know what caused that Pop Up Catbox to appear.
https://www.odoo.com
You might hang around there and see if anyone asks what you want.

JettaTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:56:57 pm

Thanks Aravisian! I'll give them a try!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:22:28 am

Should have thought about my search methods. I think I have found the answer after searching for: "How to get Odoo 13 to launch in Ubuntu 18.04" resulted in numerous ones - plumped for the top return:

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-instal ... ntu-18-04/ ;) :D

Don't make my mistake of mis reading the prerequisites! You need to install pip, git and Node.js

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:06:41 am

Well I went wrong somewhere - get a failure in loading daemon! :(

JettaTDI

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:20:41 pm

Bummer. I'm just now finding out that Odoo is a online program, too bad it won't work for me. We live in a remote area, very limited to no internet service here and I can't count on it to run my books for me... I'll keep looking for answers, either to make Quickbooks work or to find another management system. Thanks a lot for the help folks!

Aravisian

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:11:07 pm

Appreciate your patience. This is a nerve wracking problem to solve. It's like a lady duck- dead ends everywhere.

JettaTDI

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:41:08 pm

Presently I'm researching another desktop based option I found, https://turbocash.net/pages/TCFeatures.html It seems to have what I need for accounting/ inventory management. Turbocash5 which is the paid version (TC4 is free but not as robust) is a subscription $6 per month or $60 per year. Developed primarily with windows user in mind so I still wasn't sure. So I spent the $6 and I was amazed that within an hour Philip Copeman himself replied with my download link and other helpful information. I replied and gave him a little background as to what operating system I'm trying it on and he recommended using Codeweaver's Crossover. I already have that since I tried it on QB. I'll keep playing with this as I have time and can try to keep you all posted.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:58:13 pm

JettaTDI wrote:Bummer. I'm just now finding out that Odoo is a online program, too bad it won't work for me. We live in a remote area, very limited to no internet service here and I can't count on it to run my books for me... I'll keep looking for answers, either to make Quickbooks work or to find another management system. Thanks a lot for the help folks!

It's only 'online' locally as it asks for you to enter your local router to run it from the desktop but in a browser - unless I got that wrong friend. ;) :D

JettaTDI

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:34:16 am

I could be wrong, yes. After entering many lines of command it was failing to do more than to give me error messages so I found the little help box in the bottom corner of Odoo's site as Aravisian suggested and asked about my issues. He deferred me to help pages and to read install instructions there because he wasn't in tech support. I also specifically asked him if it needs a connection to run and he said yes.
That's why I felt I was again against a wall.
Check this also.
https://nisus.lk/odoo-faq

Aravisian

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:39:39 am

JettaTDI wrote:I could be wrong, yes. After entering many lines of command it was failing to do more than to give me error messages so I found the little help box in the bottom corner of Odoo's site as Aravisian suggested and asked about my issues. He deferred me to help pages and to read install instructions there because he wasn't in tech support. I also specifically asked him if it needs a connection to run and he said yes.
That's why I felt I was again against a wall.
Check this also.
https://nisus.lk/odoo-faq

Honestly, it sounds like a wall to me, too.

JettaTDI

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:57:16 am

That's why I kept looking and found TurboCASH ;)
My issue is now if I click to open a page within the program the new window opens below it on the desktop. And sometimes it opens a duplicate main window instead that you can't do anything on. Alt+f4 to make it go away. I'll email Philip about this issue too since he told me to let him know if I experience any hiccups.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:19:34 pm

Well it is good to know that you are getting support from the get go. ;) :D

JettaTDI

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:39:50 am

TurboCash 4 works well in Code Weaver's Crossover, IF it is installed in the 'kitchen sink' bottle. Here's the links to the instructions he gave me when I emailed them. Very helpful.
https://www.codeweavers.com/bin/ticketf ... srhF8uUCsp
Follow the instructions to import the file here
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wik ... orted_deps

Unfortunately TurboCash 5 does not work in Crossover at this time. The windows won't work right in the desktop.
So, the take away from this for now is to keep using Windows 7, either for Quickbooks or for TC 5, and hopefully someday there will be further development to support it in Linux based systems! Meanwhile I'll get more familiar with Zorin and Turbocash 4!
Thanks guys for your patience and help! :D