This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Adding, installing printer CUPS files

ozstar

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:19:23 am

Hi,

Downloaded printer drivers files, CUPS and regular drivers but not sure how I actually get them into them into the selection options I am offered when adding a driver.

For example I see a list of Xerox drivers but mine is not there yet so want to add it.

Thanks

oz

ozstar

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06:34 am

I found this driver which says it is Linux for my Fuji Xerox 8570 ColorCube.

Downloaded XeroxLinuxi686xpxx_4.50.11 and installed to XeroxLinuxi686xpxxInstall folder.

These are the files in that folder..
XeroxLinuxi686xpxxInstall- folder files.png
Files in XeroxLinuxi686xpxxInstall folder

My normal reaction ala Windows is to click SetUp however that dies not work here.

This is what the 'Read Me' file says..

Release 4.50.11

To uninstall a previous installation:
1) Use xpadmin to remove all Xerox print queues.
2) For Solaris installation, use pkgrm to remove the CTRWxpxx package.
For all other installations, remove the "Xerox" installation directory.
3) Remove /var/spool/Xerox directory.

run setup within the install directory as root to install the driver.

NOTE: setup will expand and install the compressed tar file in the install
directory, generate script files and other files that are needed
at run time. The following syntaxes are supported:
1) setup <== menu driven install
2) setup tmp_path <== menu driven install
3) setup install install_path <== no menu, just install
4) setup install install_path tmp_path <== no menu, just install
install_path is the installation directory which will contain all
the Xerox software.
tmp_path is a temporary work area. /tmp is the default work area.

In any of the above syntaxes the no_space_check is also supported
and will disable the check to ensure free space exists in the install and
tmp paths.

What do I do now to get this driver installed?

Thanks in anticipation :-)

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:45:30 am

According to the instructions, you are to run the file "setup" as root.

I downloaded the package and tried it out. In a variety of different ways - same result each time. Nothing happened.

ozstar

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50:23 am

Yes it's weird isn't it? Thank you for trying too.
How many times does this sort of thing happen.
So much time wasting, just trying to get something to basically work.

ozstar

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:05:56 am

I just got this back from another forum..
What do you think ?
It is bit over my head at the moment.. Will have to absorb it :-)

I found this driver on the Xerox site which says it is Linux for my Fuji Xerox 8570 ColorCube.

Downloaded XeroxLinuxi686xpxx_4.50.11 and installed to XeroxLinuxi686xpxxInstall folder.

My normal reaction ala Windows is to click SetUp however that dies not work here.

Yep, you were doing this as yourself. The readme states:

run setup within the install directory as root to install the driver.

Clicking on it might have tried to run 'setup' but if it needs root privileges to complete the installation, it'd eventually fail.

The 'readme' file is giving you hints for four different ways to run the 'setup' program/script. You may just need to come up with directories you want to use for the installation destination ("install_path") and what looks like temporary workspace ("tmp_path") for the installation process.

The install process may be as simple as issuing (in a terminal window):

Code:
$ cd $HOME/Downloads/ColorCube<tab>/XeroxLinux<tab>/XeroxLinuxi686xpxxInstall
$ sudo ./setup

and responding to the questions it asks. BTW: I assume that tab completion works on your desktop; if not, you'll need to type in the full name of those download directories.

Since you need to run the installer as 'root', the 'sudo' is required and probably you'll have to enter the root password when prompted. My guess is that, using this form of the setup, you're going to be prompted for values for "install_path" and "tmp_path". Without knowing anything about what the installer is going to be placing in your filesystem, I would say that using "install_path" == "/usr/local/share/Xerox" and "tmp_path" == "/tmp" would be fairly safe. If the installer balks, it'll likely be that "/usr/local/share/Xerox" doesn't exist. Use "sudo mkdir /usr/local/share/Xerox" to create it and rerun "setup".

NOTE: Given that line in the 'readme':

To uninstall a previous installation:

For all other installations, remove the "Xerox" installation directory. <==<< THIS ONE!

I would NOT specify "/usr/local/bin" as the "install_path"---if you don't already have locally-written programs and scripts residing in that directory, you eventually will and it'd be a shame to clobber them when a new Xerox driver needs to be installed.

If the above 'setup' command doesn't run ("Permission denied" or "command not found"), it's probably not marked as executable (that could also be why your double-clicking on it didn't work). Either issue "chmod +x setup" in the "XeroxLinuxi686xpxxInstall" directory and rerun the 'sudo' command line or change that 'sudo' command to be:

Code:
$ sudo sh ./setup

Reply back if anything looks "odd" or doesn't make sense.

Good luck...

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:15:09 am

Ozstar, I did all of that when I tried testing it. I ensured root- I ensured marked as exec.
I tried Root by many forms, navigating with ///admin, sudo, sudo su...
Everything I tried had no result, at all. No error, no warning, no nothing.
I hope you have a better experience...

ozstar

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30:47 am

Hi Aravisian !

Well I gave it a quick shot following exactly (except for the tabs) the lead above and bingo, it spat out many lines of text about privacy etc with a Yes or No question. I did a Y and this is what I got..

Not sure but I guess it is about directories..

Agree (y) / Disagree (n)? y
/usr/bin/lpq: Error - unknown destination "/tmp".
.................................................................................................... ............................................................................/usr/Xerox/xpxx/xpqadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/Xerox/xpxx/xpqadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:07:29 pm

The link I gave a few posts ago did state that management software can be a pain to install, if at all possible. Once you have run the 'setup' commands you then start the printing setup - as you are attempting to connect to a network printer (?) open a terminal and use the command:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer

It will bring up the same interface as you would using Printers in Settings but from previous experience using the terminal creates a better experience of adding a printer.

Next choose your manufacturer, Xerox then scroll down the list of installed drivers - hopefully your Qube should be listed. (Oops - just checked on Notebook at work and Xeros isn't listed as a manufacturer - I wonder why! :lol: ) I think CUPS using the IP address of the Xerox might be the only way forward. (Or do a trade in for a Canon Image Runner!)

ozstar

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:10:14 am

I'm going nuts ! :-)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:18:02 pm

ozstar wrote:I'm going nuts ! :-)

I'm going "Where's my hammer!" :D