This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing Java [Solved]

kay-dee

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42:14 pm

I need Java, apparently, before I can install Extreme Download Manager. And I know that one version of Java is buggy. I tried using these previous instructions for installing Java using "wget" but couldn't get it to work:

Download the .deb file from here
https://deb.pkgs.org/universal/opennms- ... l.deb.html
and install it by opening the folder it is contained in in Terminal and entering:
CODE: SELECT ALL
dpkg -i oracle-java8-installer_8u131-1~webupd8~2_all.deb

Can someone please walk me through this? Or better yet, talk me out of it!!!
Katie

Aravisian

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17:47 pm

kay-dee wrote:I need Java, apparently, before I can install Extreme Download Manager. And I know that one version of Java is buggy. I tried using these previous instructions for installing Java using "wget" but couldn't get it to work:

Download the .deb file from here
https://deb.pkgs.org/universal/opennms- ... l.deb.html
and install it by opening the folder it is contained in in Terminal and entering:
CODE: SELECT ALL
dpkg -i oracle-java8-installer_8u131-1~webupd8~2_all.deb

Can someone please walk me through this? Or better yet, talk me out of it!!!
Katie

I recall that Xtreme Download Manager carries its own Java with it on set up. That was the cause of your troubles last time as the Wolf pointed out, if I recall correctly.

I think talking you out of it would be the way to go- but that hinges on finding a way to meet your needs without the Xtreme Download Manager.
I suspect poor net speeds are what is inspiring you to look at Xtreme.
Needless to say, there is no app that speeds up your internet. The way many of these work is by increasing the amount of packets being handled simultaneously.
In other words, grabbing more during the same passing time like having more hands grabbing slices of pizza than two at the table.
How many alternatives have you checked out?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:54:17 pm

You would probably be better with this (as recommended in the past by a former mod):

https://www.downthemall.org/

kay-dee

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:38:25 pm

The 'A' team back together again! Wonderful!
Thanks, you two. I have used Extreme Download Manager for many years, in Windows and various Distros. It ran on my Lenovo/Zorin 15 without issue except I had to delete the Core Dump errors from time to time. But on the new Clevo with Zorin 15 (maybe upgraded to 15.1), I can't install XDM, it seems, without Java. I've never had a problem with XDM in the past. It is fast and very easy to use: Run a video and a big button appears in the lower right of your screen. Hit that and click Start Download.
I tried 'Downthemall' and found it a hassle to use. This is awhile back, and I can't even remember if I figured it out, but remember it seemed overly complicated. For me anyway.
Easy of use and speedy downloads are my priority, of course. Probably the same as everyone else on the planet :-)
Katie

kay-dee

Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:54:56 pm

Ran the following commands in an attempt to install Oracle Java 8, the version, hopefully, without the bugs.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
Then ran java -version. No version of Java installed. Could you have a look at my screen shots and please, can I have your opinion?
Thank you,
Katie

kay-dee

Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:59:38 pm

Site keeps crashing. No screen shots.

kay-dee

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:05:00 pm

Site crashes when I upload a screenshot and I have to sign in again.
Katie

kay-dee

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:46:57 pm

I visited the Oracle site and downloaded jre-8u241-linux-x64 tar.gz. There are instructions for installation. Also, in the Terminal, there are three commands for installing Java8. Which would be my best option?
Katie

Aravisian

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:59:25 pm

kay-dee wrote:Ran the following commands in an attempt to install Oracle Java 8, the version, hopefully, without the bugs.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
Then ran java -version. No version of Java installed. Could you have a look at my screen shots and please, can I have your opinion?
Thank you,
Katie

I was wondering, given a new machine, if you should just go ahead with Java. Yet, it seems to be a constant thorn in your paw.
What this leaves you with is either;
-Struggling to get Java to cooperate
-Using an alternative download manager

Heh- It could be on a new OS, Newer machine, you should try a newer Java than 8. It could be that you should try the Ubuntu OpenJDK package instead of oracle, this time around. It could be that both of those could result in the same bug and same error you had before...

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:20:33 pm

Have you tried the downthemall extension for Firefox? ;) :D

kay-dee

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:02:29 pm

Installed Java 11.0.5 using the terminal and "java -version" confirms it is installed but I still can't install Extreme Download Manager. I get the message that JavaXDM requires Java Runtime 1.6 (Java SE 6 / Openjdk6 ) or Higher. Any ideas for me?
Thank you as always,
Katie

kay-dee

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:21:46 pm

Installed java open jdk. That didn't work either!!!!
Katie

Aravisian

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37:54 pm

IF I recall, the download manager had java included within it and the Wolf had helped us locate that, in the past.
This implies Installing Xtreme Download Manager also installs the java it needs along with it. I recall that uninstalling and reinstalling Java back then had no effect on the Download Managers reading of Java.
So, I think in this case, it must be the same and the Java Failures must be within Xtreme Download manager.
Looking at the webpage for XDM it includes a Linux 64bit installer and below that, a Jar (Java) file.

This is the developers git:
https://github.com/subhra74/xdm

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:41:20 pm

Just picked up the latest LXF and Down Them All has a separate standalone Manager called Down Zem All. ;) :D

kay-dee

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:34:36 pm

As you can see by the screenshot, I now have Java installed. But Extreme Download Manager (XDM), will not install. It says I need Java Runtime 1.6 (Java SE 6 / Openjdk6 ) or Higher. Is that not covered by what I just installed?
Thank you,
Katie

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:31:54 pm

This post on GitHub should assist you - you may need to click on the 'RAW' button top right to see text off-screen:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/sent ... 2520Ubuntu

kay-dee

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:43:59 pm

Thanks everyone.
Java turns out not to be my problem. I have Java jdk installed correctly. It turns out Extreme Download Manager is the problem. After spending an hour searching, I got XDM to install using these instructions:

Install Java jdk first. Download XDM as tar. In Downloads, right click on the file and Extract in Downloads. Open the extracted file and you should see two folders: install.sh and a Read Me folder. Right click on install.sh folder and select Open in Terminal. In Terminal enter command sudo ./install.sh and hit enter.

For me XDM installed and once configured to my Dissenter Browser, XDM worked. I downloaded a dozen videos from YouTube and saved them. Later, they ran flawlessly with VLC. Good audio and visuals. No Jave Core Dump messages as of today.

I know this sounds too simplistic but it worked where many other instructions didn’t. And, okay… I know the command above is the same one as in the Read Me file. But using the method as described above worked. Go figure!

So I’m up and running, thankfully.

Load Them All just seems bloated with features for the simple stuff I do. If I spent some time with it, I’m sure I could figure it out. But it’s hard to beat the simplicity of XDM: Play a video, hit the XDM button and click Download. What ever is playing on the screen is saved in Downloads. But I’ll be keeping Load Them All in my back pocket; just in case Java starts giving me problems again.

Anyway, a big hug and thank you…
Katie

star treker

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15:54 pm

Hello Katie! :)

I am glad you were able to get your situation solved. I'd like to quickly caution you against using download managers, as many of them have spyware built in. Hopefully the one you chose doesn't, but lots of them do.

kay-dee

Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:34:01 pm

Me too!!!
What's a girl to do? All I can say is that I have used Extreme Download Manager for many years and so far, so good. I haven't found anything I like better. And I've never had issues installing it 'till now. Though I'm not keen on having Java on my machine.
Thanks, star treker, for joining in,
Katie