This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Display Scalability

petrosy

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:40:54 pm

HI,

I have a dual sceen setup with a Nvidia display adapter. One display is 1080p and the other 4k. I was wondering if there is a way to have different font scalability settings per monitor. As current I have one setting across both monitors. Either its too big on the 1080p or too small on the 4k monitor. Can this be set independently?

Regards P

Aravisian

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:03:24 am

petrosy wrote:HI,

I have a dual sceen setup with a Nvidia display adapter. One display is 1080p and the other 4k. I was wondering if there is a way to have different font scalability settings per monitor. As current I have one setting across both monitors. Either its too big on the 1080p or too small on the 4k monitor. Can this be set independently?

Regards P

I know that it can be on XFCE desktop using Display Manager (In fact, mine is set up this way on XFCE), but I do not know about Gnome Desktop. Can you clarify what version of Zorin you are running?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:03:48 am

Please note that Zorin 15.x is based on Ubuntu 18.04.2 and not 19.04. I would advise you try the xrandr solution posted on this thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1028622 ... ings-18-04

You could try Zorin on Wayland, but from an OS perspective, I would avoid like the plague.

petrosy

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22:17 am

I am using Zorin Ultimate with default install I guess. Have not tweaked it much. Will try both those option this weekend and report back. Thanks for the tips

Aravisian

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:37:23 am

petrosy wrote:I am using Zorin Ultimate with default install I guess. Have not tweaked it much. Will try both those option this weekend and report back. Thanks for the tips

Ultimate uses Gnome Desktop, not XFCE desktop.

petrosy

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:45:47 am

Right... I guess I will try the xrandr solution

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:14:53 pm

Aravisian wrote:
petrosy wrote:I am using Zorin Ultimate with default install I guess. Have not tweaked it much. Will try both those option this weekend and report back. Thanks for the tips

Unless it's Ultimate Lite - and remember, purchases of Ultimate is for Ultimate (Core) and Ultimate Lite. ;) :D

petrosy

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:06:12 am

I am going to file this in the too hard basket.... may visit it later. I will need to do a bit more reading up on xrandr. Thanks for all the advice

carmar

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34:20 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

Unless it's Ultimate Lite - and remember, purchases of Ultimate is for Ultimate (Core) and Ultimate Lite. ;) :D

:o My receipt and download link only said Ultimate. Which one is the $39 one?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41:43 pm

carmar wrote:
:o My receipt and download link only said Ultimate. Which one is the $39 one?

I thought it was supposed to be the same link - if not working, please advise and I will PM AZorin. ;) :D

Check your download link from original email to see if there is one to the Lite Ultimate - if not, let me know and I will PM AZorin. ;) :D

carmar

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:50:10 pm

I could have sworn that when I first bought it, there was only one download option (bought on 10/19/2019, downloaded image of 4.21 GB) when I clicked on my purchase link. I never got around to running the image. It sits on a storage drive on my desktop (that mostly sits unpowered since my laptop runs well with Core).

Now when I click that same purchase link, I see three options: "Ultimate 64-bit", "Ultimate Lite 32-bit", "Ultimate Lite 64-bit".

star treker

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:57:22 pm

Zorin supports different versions of Zorin OS depending on what is required. Some people use Linux at home, which they just need Ultimate or LITE. Some people use Linux in school, so the education version is required. And some people use Linux at work, so like a business edition is what they would want.

Now in regards to 64-bit vs 32-bit, that is becoming less of a concern now days since most people don't own computers older then a single core 64-bit CPU. Most 32-bit CPU's were made in 2002 and before. So if your computer is that old, chances are its a 32-bit CPU. And thus you would need the 32-bit distro version. If your computer is from 2004 or newer, chances are it uses a 64-bit CPU, which means you would choose the 64-bit version of the distro.

Aravisian

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:06:27 am

carmar wrote:I could have sworn that when I first bought it, there was only one download option (bought on 10/19/2019, downloaded image of 4.21 GB) when I clicked on my purchase link. I never got around to running the image. It sits on a storage drive on my desktop (that mostly sits unpowered since my laptop runs well with Core).

Now when I click that same purchase link, I see three options: "Ultimate 64-bit", "Ultimate Lite 32-bit", "Ultimate Lite 64-bit".

The download link was probably updated to include Lite- which was released a bit late due to it being re-built (slightly) to include XFCE 4.14 instead of 4.12. XFCE 4.14 was released shortly before Zorin 15.0 was.
I think the Zorin did a mad scramble to include 4.14 in the Lite versions.

Which... I promptly UNDID in order to use the much superior XFCE 4.12 on my own machine.

carmar

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:01:17 pm

Thanks.

JeffK969

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:49:56 pm

OK, so I also have an issue... My laptop is 1366x768. I have plugged into 2 different TV's via HDMI ports, as to where wallpaper displayed on the screens, but nothing else. I'm using Ultimate Lite 15. The TV's were a 51" 1920x1080 and a 32" 1280x720. So I can use a xrandr command and it will scale to either size I plug into automatically? I'd like to get this fixed for I have another presentation to give this Friday, and that location also uses the 51" TV. The 32" was in my home. I hooked it up to test out KDE Connect with my cell for the slideshow. But I would like to learn how to make it scale able with any TV I plug into.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31:28 pm

JeffK969 wrote:OK, so I also have an issue... My laptop is 1366x768. I have plugged into 2 different TV's via HDMI ports, as to where wallpaper displayed on the screens, but nothing else. I'm using Ultimate Lite 15. The TV's were a 51" 1920x1080 and a 32" 1280x720. So I can use a xrandr command and it will scale to either size I plug into automatically? I'd like to get this fixed for I have another presentation to give this Friday, and that location also uses the 51" TV. The 32" was in my home. I hooked it up to test out KDE Connect with my cell for the slideshow. But I would like to learn how to make it scale able with any TV I plug into.

I don't understand the question: When you plug in using XFCE D.E. on Zorin Lite, are the monitors not showing up under Settings Display?

JeffK969

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:36:34 pm

When I plug in, both the TV's would just show the Wallpaper of laptop, no icons. If I opened the slideshow on laptop, it would show on TV, TV would just show wallpaper. I could go into setting / display but they will not display the laptop screen. And def not widescreen 16.9 I can get a small screen, 4:3 I think. I would like to be able to scale it so the TV matches my laptop screen.

Aravisian

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:23:56 am

JeffK969 wrote:When I plug in, both the TV's would just show the Wallpaper of laptop, no icons. If I opened the slideshow on laptop, it would show on TV, TV would just show wallpaper. I could go into setting / display but they will not display the laptop screen. And def not widescreen 16.9 I can get a small screen, 4:3 I think. I would like to be able to scale it so the TV matches my laptop screen.

When you plug in the Secondary TV as monitor, is it dsiplaying as a Second Monitor?
What happens if you open Settings, Display, then tell it to make it Primary monitor? You can also set it to always read the way you set it up, so it would automatically open that way if both are hooked up when you power on the laptop.

JeffK969

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33:41 am

Ok... Here's my normal laptop display (1366x768)

Screenshot_2020-02-12_22-00-05.png
This was taken via screenshot

Here's my laptop when connected to TV via HDMI cable and both powered on while connected.

Screenshot_2020-02-12_21-56-42.png
Please notice laptop window is on left, and not proper size.

I had to take a few pics with my cell, but apparently the jpegs are too large to put on here.
Basically, my laptop can't scale correctly with TV 1:1 when hooked up. Meaning both my laptop and TV are full screen and both display properly.
Was hoping the xrandr commands would help. And if so, which one for a 1920x1080 51" TV.

Aravisian

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:59:31 am

I am honestly no sure on this one, But I will research it and see what I can find out. Push come to shove, can ask on the XFCE forum.

JeffK969

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:49:07 pm

I've found some pages that talk about it, xrandr commands. Just don't quite understand when to type in the command, or which command, and do you have to type it each time, or is it just once and will work all future occurrences. Just not sure how they impact the laptop when TV's/Monitors are not connected and laptop powered on. See, a bunch of questions I have.

But I did meet Chewbacca in Disney. I thought he'd be bigger. Then I remembered how small most actors are, especially in height. Poor person inside had to be hot, wearing that outfit in 85+ degree weather. But then I remembered Chewbacca is Real....

JeffK969

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:33:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AbrarMjuiA

When I get home, going to try this. Just may be what I need. I hooked up laptop to 51" yesterday. Could only get TV to work full screen, so I went with that. Laptop screen only showed about half the screen and no menu bar on bottom. Will update Tuesday.

Aravisian

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:44:36 pm

JeffK969 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AbrarMjuiA

When I get home, going to try this. Just may be what I need. I hooked up laptop to 51" yesterday. Could only get TV to work full screen, so I went with that. Laptop screen only showed about half the screen and no menu bar on bottom. Will update Tuesday.

I'm sorry Jeff... I set up another Monitor and went about testing this- and the BackLight Went out.
It's opened up in the garage, now- and I hadn't gotten back to this. I hope what you found works and...

Anyone got an old T.V./Monitor they wanna give away?:D

JeffK969

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:59:55 pm

OK... Looks like nothing had to be done, I was wrong. I always hooked up the HDMI cable and plugged into both ends, Laptop & TV prior to powering on both. This time, I was busy and didn't plug HDMI in until after both were powered on, and a screen came up, I selected mirror images and presto. It's off slightly, 1360 as opposed to 1366 (so the far right edge can't be seen, part of the M of PM on the clock). It's darn good enough for me and I'm happy.
Although, there's this part of me that wants to see if I can get it perfect, so maybe I'll try to add that xrandr thing. I asked myself both, WWAD or WWSD. Next time it'll just be WWASD.