This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] How to remove dual boot?

Telstar

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:43:54 am

I need to upgrade a laptop which has dual boot Zorin & Windows 7.

I have seen several different approaches proposed on the web: some are fuzzy and poorly explained, others are unbelievably 'gung-ho'.

Is there a reliable straight-forward (non-geeky) explanation of how to remove Zorin and reinstate Windows 7 (so it can be upgraded to Win10)?

For an unexplainable reason I installed the dual boot on an external HDD, not the laptop's internal !!!

I will then run Zorin from a USB.

Many thanks - Alan (Telstar).

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:29:34 pm

So we need more info - does the machine boot with GRUB or Windows Boot Loader? Have you created a 'repair disc' (CD) whilst in Windows 7 on the notebook? You will need this to restore Windows 7's MBR so it boots into Windows and nothing else. If Zorin is on external drive it should not matter, other than the fact that you would get a GRUB warning of no system present if not connected - that is why you either need a repair disc created by Windows 7 or download a Windows 7 .iso directly from Microsoft (MS Software Builder) but you will need your CoA off the sticker to be allowed to download the .iso. Keep us updated. ;) :D

Telstar

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:03:50 am

Thanks

Boot is via GRUB. I may have a system backup + repair disk created befroe installing Zorin. But I can easily create a repair disc (will do that in a day or two).

Alan Telstar

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:41:44 pm

Once you create your repair disc, boot into repair mode and it should find your Windows install. Once it does, choose the advance cmd option. At the prompt you will be asked for the number of the partition drive that Windows resides. Once you have done that in DOS, prompt change directory from X:/ to C:/ and enter DIR to ensure all tour Windows folders show up. Then follow the guide for Windows 7 here:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/

Telstar

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:59:47 pm

Many thanks - all is done.

Alan

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:35:42 pm

Glad you got sorted. ;) :D

Telstar

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:39:15 pm

Thanks . . . . Update - after a notorious password loop problem I have installed Zonin 15 Lite which seems to solve loads of issues.

Tnx

Alan / Telstar

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:27:07 pm