This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

cursor froze up.

ezymel

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:45:22 pm

Hi:

I just installed ZORIN 15 lite. Everything worked great the first time. I think I did a dumb thing and that is to block the touchpad as I am using a mouse. My computer is older model HP laptop, Intel core i3, 2310 M CPU,
2.10 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 64 Bit OS and processor. I gave you a lot of info but I bet I didn't have to give that much. At first, I tried to tap the touchpad so the red lite would come on but it didn't. This is the dumb thing I did. I went to the mouse and touchpad app and while fiddling around trying to stop the touchpad, the cursor froze up and whether I try it with the mouse or touchpad, the cursor does not move. When I get to the main sign in screen and before I enter my password, the insert that shows did move either by mouse or touchpad. I was able to sign in and got to the desktop but the cursor was frozen. NOT GOOD! I installed ZORIN as my 2nd OS to my win 10. I did boot into win 10 and had no problems what-so-ever. I was able to lock the touchpad. So, I went back to ZORIN, and decided the use the advanced operation and maybe the test subjects would clear this up. I selected repair and went through successfully but did not solve my cursor problem. I really, really need your help and hopefully someone can respond to me today. The issue I am facing is not being able to go with ZORIN and I did pay for the download which did cost some. I figure what I knew about ZORIN previously, I would go ahead and do the full install of ZORIN 15 but I had to use the lite version as my laptop is a little too old and kinda slow. I need to know what to do to solve this problem about my cursor. I should have never gotten into the settings area and mess with the touchpad. I hope I didn't damage anything and the fix will be easy and am overlooking something. Once again, I ask for your help so I am able to use ZORIN. Thank you very much and hope to hear from you, shortly.

My best,

ezymel[size=150][size=150]
[/size][/size]

carmar

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:14:23 pm

Hope you get helped. I'd be interested in the solutions you're offered. My touchpad stopped working at some point after I started using a USB mouse. Unplugging mouse didn't make a difference. I didn't change any settings. I have Core.

Aravisian

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:09:59 pm

Could you please try installing the synaptics touchpad driver?
Code:
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-18.04

IF that fails:
In terminal, please run the following:
Code:
less /proc/bus/input/devices

If you see your touchpad driver- good. That means it is supported in Ubuntu.
If not- it is not supported. If you see it, in terminal:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Change the GRUB CMDLINE LINUX DEFAULT to this:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i8042.reset quiet splash"

hit ctrl+x to exit. Then it will ask if you want to save changes. Hit "y"
Then hit enter again to keep the same title on the file.
Then exit.
In terminal
Code:
sudo update grub

Code:
sudo rmmod i2c_hid

Code:
sudo modprobe i2c_hid

Do a complete restart after and check touchpad on reboot.

ezymel

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38:56 am

Thanks for your support. This what I tried to do and it did work, so far. I could have messed up with my win 10 and Zorin. I certainly did not want to lose win 10 as not only did I have a lot of information on it but in order to reinstall it, I would have to install win 7 first as it was an online upgrade. I knew I could always reinstall Zorin as I have it on flash. That is what I did. The first thing I noted was that Zorin was damaged as all I got was a few lines of something called GRUB. I lost my selection choosing Zorin or win 10. I was hoping that I didn't lose win 10. What I did was to go to the partitions on win 10, and deleted what was left on Zorin and expanded to a full partition. As far as I was able to see was that win 10 was still there. That I couldn't tell until I started to reinstall the flash. The question that I saw was that if I want to share Zorin with win 10. I felt quite good that win 10 was still on my hard drive. I completed and rebooted and "viola" both win 10 and Zorin was in the selection. First, I booted to Zorin but this time, the cursor was working. I still wanted to disengage the touch pad as long as I was using a mouse and this time I successfully accomplished that. Zorin is now working great and very surprised that it is fast. I was able to boot into win 10 and everything is fine there too. I am happy that I have both. I like Zorin as it is so clean. The graphics using Firefox is just as sgood as win 10. I just have to get used to the O Thanks for your support. This what I tried to do and it did work, so far. I could have messed up with my win 10 and Zorin. I certainly did not want to lose win 10 as not only did I have a lot of information on it but in order to reinstall it, I would have to install win 7 first as it was an online upgrade. I knew I could always reinstall Zorin as I have it on flash. That is what I did. The first thing I noted was that Zorin was damaged as all I got was a few lines of something called GRUB. I lost my selection choosing Zorin or win 10. I was hoping that I didn't lose win 10. What I did was to go to the partitions on win 10, and deleted what was left on Zorin and expanded to a full partition. As far as I was able to see was that win 10 was still there. That I couldn't tell until I started to reinstall the flash. The question that I saw was that if I want to share Zorin with win 10. I felt quite good that win 10 was still on my hard drive. I completed and rebooted and "viola" both win 10 and Zorin was in the selection. First, I booted to Zorin but this time, the cursor was working. I still wanted to disengage the touch pad as long as I was using a mouse and this time I successfully accomplished that. Zorin is now working great and very surprised that it is fast. I was able to boot into win 10 and everything is fine there too. I am happy that I have both. I like Zorin as it is so clean. The graphics using Firefox is just as sgood as win 10. I just have to get used to the OS. At least now I have two OS's.

Aravisian

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:33:58 am

Glad you got it fixed up on all fronts.
And I agree- Zorin O.S. has a very slick and clean feel to it.
I've started up many distro's, but in my opinion, Zorin is the best looking desktop to start up.

ezymel

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:14:22 am

Yes, it is fast and slick. I was wondering why the graphics outside of using a browser differs from the type that Microsoft develops for their OS? In other words, I notice that when you go to the various files in Zorin, it is so simplistic where not much color is used showing various folders, icons, etc. Without all the frills, would be one of the reasons why Zorin or even most of linux OS's are so much faster as programming is developed using a basic approach? Am I making sense in saying this? For example, I was checking out the games and in particular, the chess game shown in Zorin looks like more of a sketch. whereas in microsoft, the chess game is a full dimensional drawing in softer colors. I would sacrifice the frills anytime for something that is more dependable and fast. However, in gaming then that is where Microsoft wins. I play some so that is why I have now a dual OS. I bet most users do. Microsoft is wising up a little with win 10 but still with all the patches for their OS, it does bog up the system. It;s not only that but their browsers as well. They say, "we have the best and fastest browser ever" and I say compared to what!? Most of the browsers are so slow and a lot of add on accessories such as extensions, especially the added apps which many, I do not trust. I do like Opera, Firefox, and a few others. I am not too fond of Chrome, particularly dislike Edge and not overly enthused with Internet Explorer. It is interesting though that when you need technical help, their engineers go out of their way to help as long as you are on the same level with them. I spent many hours on one call and we had an intelligent discussion where I helped them and they helped me. They even got good ideas from me. Maybe, I know about computers but I don't know everything. Most non computer people would not even get to an engineer as they would be screened out because unable to communicate the language. I find here with linux, most people do know what they are talking about. I can honestly say that I have a lot to learn using Linux because it is a new language and quite a different Kernel. I was brought up on Microsoft and learned what they have.

Aravisian

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:30:53 pm

ezymel wrote:Yes, it is fast and slick. I was wondering why the graphics outside of using a browser differs from the type that Microsoft develops for their OS? In other words, I notice that when you go to the various files in Zorin, it is so simplistic where not much color is used showing various folders, icons, etc. Without all the frills, would be one of the reasons why Zorin or even most of linux OS's are so much faster as programming is developed using a basic approach? Am I making sense in saying this? For example, I was checking out the games and in particular, the chess game shown in Zorin looks like more of a sketch. whereas in microsoft, the chess game is a full dimensional drawing in softer colors. I would sacrifice the frills anytime for something that is more dependable and fast. However, in gaming then that is where Microsoft wins. I play some so that is why I have now a dual OS. I bet most users do. Microsoft is wising up a little with win 10 but still with all the patches for their OS, it does bog up the system. It;s not only that but their browsers as well. They say, "we have the best and fastest browser ever" and I say compared to what!? Most of the browsers are so slow and a lot of add on accessories such as extensions, especially the added apps which many, I do not trust. I do like Opera, Firefox, and a few others. I am not too fond of Chrome, particularly dislike Edge and not overly enthused with Internet Explorer. It is interesting though that when you need technical help, their engineers go out of their way to help as long as you are on the same level with them. I spent many hours on one call and we had an intelligent discussion where I helped them and they helped me. They even got good ideas from me. Maybe, I know about computers but I don't know everything. Most non computer people would not even get to an engineer as they would be screened out because unable to communicate the language. I find here with linux, most people do know what they are talking about. I can honestly say that I have a lot to learn using Linux because it is a new language and quite a different Kernel. I was brought up on Microsoft and learned what they have.

Linux organizes in a much more efficient way than Windows does.
With MS, information is stored in the first open slot on the disk. In Linux, however, each related grouping of information is allotted a block- with a reasonable amount of free space with it to allow for updates and upgrades. Should a block get outgrown, it automatically moves or expands the block. This is why you do not generally need to defrag with Linux.
Linux is much more organized as well. This allows faster filing.
Linux does not use a Registry as MS does. Many instances of Slowness in MS can be faulted by the Registry.
MS filing is a MESS and always was. The registry was implemented to try to help unmess the mess.

You are right that MS is better for gaming but only in that it has more active (And profitable) development. Gaming depends heavily on the hardware, as well. With Proton and Steam, you can experience gaming at the same level while using Linux.
And steam was built on Linux.

ezymel

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:24:31 am

Thanks a lot Arivisian: Please disregard all the stupid repeats that I did and I did realize that I must have done something to make duplicates of what I wrote. I usually go over what I write so it would make sense. I feel like redoing what I did to correct it as if anyone else comes across it, they would think that I was a dummy. Generally, you don't have dummies on Linux. OK. Now, hear is an interesting thing that now happens which doesn't happen on win 10. When I am using Zorin, and I leave my computer with the lid open,everything is fine. When I close the lid, and reopen it. everything is frozen up. No activity whatsoever. I have to manually close it down and once booted up again, it works fine. Windows, I have no trouble with when I close the lid. The only thing that I can surmise is that Zorin goes into sleep mode and it is a deep sleep. Ha ha. It must be some kind of some glitch but I am not going to worry about it. I also want to ask you something else. Since Zorin is quite new and not too much info on it, meaning that there is no manual or videos for it, I would imagine some other distro manual might suffice . I am sure Zorin is working on it. I have used Ubuntu, Xbuntu, or other offshoots. Others I have used is Mint, Debian, Elementary, and others. I am sure, all of them use the basic Kernel. I chose Zorin because the writeup interested me and I thought that I would go for it. The desktop is clean and whatever you choose is quite responsive. That part I like very much. Like I said earlier, it is just that I have to get used to it and find where everything is. This is the first time, I had to shell out a large amount of money for a downloaded system. I figure, you get what you pay for. I do like the forum and it is laid out very nice. I tend to be active here and maybe the more I learn, I can help others as well. So, on that note, I will say good morning from the Pacific Coast as it is 00:16 and kind of past my bedtime. I don't know where you are at so I will close is having a good one.

ezymel

Aravisian

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:48:30 am

ezymel wrote:Thanks a lot Arivisian: Please disregard all the stupid repeats that I did and I did realize that I must have done something to make duplicates of what I wrote. I usually go over what I write so it would make sense. I feel like redoing what I did to correct it as if anyone else comes across it, they would think that I was a dummy.

I think you are over-worrying it. ;) I learned a long time ago to ignore posts I have made in the past. Whenever I read something I posted in the past, I get very critical of myself.
I bet many people do.
ezymel wrote:When I am using Zorin, and I leave my computer with the lid open,everything is fine. When I close the lid, and reopen it. everything is frozen up. No activity whatsoever. I have to manually close it down and once booted up again, it works fine. Windows, I have no trouble with when I close the lid. The only thing that I can surmise is that Zorin goes into sleep mode and it is a deep sleep. Ha ha. It must be some kind of some glitch but I am not going to worry about it.

This is a known bug with Ubuntu and I do not know of a good, solid solution. It affects some computers and of those, a small percentage respond to certain workarounds or "fixes" while some do not.
On my current machine, I am not affected. But my last one was. I got used to holding the power button down...
You could try the Lid Switch Fix:
http://tipsonubuntu.com/2018/04/28/chan ... 18-04-lts/
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1046826 ... laptop-lid
Also, using your Power Settings Manager, you can try setting all options to "never."
ezymel wrote:I also want to ask you something else. Since Zorin is quite new and not too much info on it, meaning that there is no manual or videos for it, I would imagine some other distro manual might suffice . I am sure Zorin is working on it.

Swarfendor has made an unofficial manual or Guide, here:
https://app.box.com/s/sp7uzb7r2o731g7jkn6tcb8gxvtz6gvy
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14361

ezymel wrote:I have used Ubuntu, Xbuntu, or other offshoots. Others I have used is Mint, Debian, Elementary, and others. I am sure, all of them use the basic Kernel. I chose Zorin because the writeup interested me and I thought that I would go for it. The desktop is clean and whatever you choose is quite responsive. That part I like very much. Like I said earlier, it is just that I have to get used to it and find where everything is. This is the first time, I had to shell out a large amount of money for a downloaded system. I figure, you get what you pay for. I do like the forum and it is laid out very nice. I tend to be active here and maybe the more I learn, I can help others as well. So, on that note, I will say good morning from the Pacific Coast as it is 00:16 and kind of past my bedtime. I don't know where you are at so I will close is having a good one.

ezymel

I grew up in the Bay Area.

Now, I am in Texas. Ft. Hood is what brought me here.

carmar

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:39:43 pm

Sorry for piggybacking but as I noted earlier, I have the same issue. I followed everything until I get to
"sudo update grub"
In response, I get:
"sudo: update: command not found"

Advice?

Aravisian wrote:Could you please try installing the synaptics touchpad driver?
Code:
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-18.04

IF that fails:
In terminal, please run the following:
Code:
less /proc/bus/input/devices

If you see your touchpad driver- good. That means it is supported in Ubuntu.
If not- it is not supported. If you see it, in terminal:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Change the GRUB CMDLINE LINUX DEFAULT to this:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i8042.reset quiet splash"

hit ctrl+x to exit. Then it will ask if you want to save changes. Hit "y"
Then hit enter again to keep the same title on the file.
Then exit.
In terminal
Code:
sudo update grub

Code:
sudo rmmod i2c_hid

Code:
sudo modprobe i2c_hid

Do a complete restart after and check touchpad on reboot.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:44:01 pm

There is a dash missing

Code:
sudo update-grub

;) :D

[https://askubuntu.com/questions/281119/how-do-you-run-update-grub]

carmar

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:24:16 pm

Thanks. It ran, then for, "sudo rmmod i2c_hid"
It gave me, "rmmod: ERROR: Module i2c_hid is not currently loaded"

star treker

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:43:26 pm

Thats one of the things that actually drives me nuts about doing terminal commands. They have to be inputted exactly 100% correctly, otherwise it doesn't go through. (Yes, just as bad as the old Apple II days.) In my philosophy, that means that computer's are stupid. However, since AI is becoming a thing, and Google searches finish your sentences and gives you popups on what you are trying to say as you type, that just might change. Although, I'm not sure how I would feel about AI being a part of my operating system, but someday that will be a thing. And then trying to do terminal commands will be a thing of the past. You will simply talk to your computer, and it will do it.

PS: Talking to a computer is what Scotty was trying to do in Star Trek 4, only he didn't realize how primitive computer's were in the 20th century, and thought the computer mouse, was a microphone receiver lol.

Aravisian

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08:27 am

I dread the day that the terminal finishes my sentences for me or corrects a typo.

carmar

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:22:15 pm

carmar wrote:Thanks. It ran, then for, "sudo rmmod i2c_hid"

Sorry. Just a reminder if anyone has a suggestion for this.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:28:58 pm

carmar wrote:
carmar wrote:Thanks. It ran, then for, "sudo rmmod i2c_hid"

Sorry. Just a reminder if anyone has a suggestion for this.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1134211 ... us-zenbook :(

carmar

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:52:03 am

Thanks. I also found this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1033033 ... rk-i2c-hid
May be best to forget about it since I prefer external mouse use anyway.