This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

AMD drivers not working

lello

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:17:45 pm

I installed Zorin OS 15 today after some troubles as dual boot with Windows 10. I get the GRUB menu and everything but I can't start the OS without the nomodeset setting. The os works with nomodesetting but it lags incredibly. The lag us so bad i can see the picture be rendered from top to bottom like dial-up internet. I have tried getting the AMD drivers to work all day but it doesnt seem to work.
I have tried:
using radeon.modeset=0 instead of nomodeset
whenever i try to install a driver from the AMD page it just returns a warningnomodeset is selected. AMD drivers require KDE or something similar
Under additional drivers it returns nothing even though proprietary drivers is checked as an option.
As a driver it currently uses llmvpipe and renders using my CPU (according to the system profiler) which is weird cause my HDMI cable is connected to my GPU.
Am I missing something obvious?
Thank you so much for your help. Zorin is an amazing operating system and I can't wait to get it to work properly

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:03:44 pm

AMD stopped providing support for Linux some time ago. The other issue is if you have a hybrid chipset with Intel - this can be a major headache. When you installed did you request to add additional drivers? This only works with nVidia chipsets and graphics cards. What happens when you choose advanced boot for safe graphics mode? ;) :D