This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Low resolution, can't change graphics drivers

lasmore

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:39:50 pm

Trying Zorin Lite Live on an older self-built tower machine with a GTX460 and 4GB RAM (I know...)

Only gives me options up to 1024 x 768, and won't let me change the graphics drivers (just says it's using a modern proprietary one and blocks the other options out).

Would really like to transition to Linux, but 1024 is kinda unusable on this monitor. Used to get 1366x768 on Win 7.

xrandr spits this out:
Code:
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm   
1024x768       0.00*   
800x600        0.00     
640x480        0.00 

carmar

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:27:19 pm

I haven't used Lite but if Core does the trick then go ahead and use it. I have a NE56R34u Gateway running Core (used to run Win 8 or something like that). Also 4GB RAM and 1366x768. Runs my Windows games just fine (well, whatever it can handle).

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:37:40 pm

Does anything show up in Additional Drivers on the Software Updater:

additional drivers.jpg

lasmore

Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:04:56 pm

Thanks for the replies, but I managed to figure it out : )

I installed Zorin properly to see if that would help with the driver options (accidentally put it on an old HDD I'd forgotten was still in there...), but they were still greyed out.

I looked into general advice on managing drivers from a general Ubuntu forum and just went for it, had no idea if it would be appropriate to Zorin (very new to this). The first answer worked:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1129516/black-screen-at-boot-after-nvidia-driver-installation-on-ubuntu-18-04-2-lts

Although now I'm dealing with a different problem, so if I can't sort that tomorrow I may start another thread!

It seems a lot of Linux is knowing the terminal inside out and dealing with bizarre issues. Maybe it just isn't for non-savvy users.

Edit: also that theme is very cool

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:26:28 pm

lasmore wrote:Thanks for the replies, but I managed to figure it out : )

I installed Zorin properly to see if that would help with the driver options (accidentally put it on an old HDD I'd forgotten was still in there...), but they were still greyed out.

I looked into general advice on managing drivers from a general Ubuntu forum and just went for it, had no idea if it would be appropriate to Zorin (very new to this). The first answer worked:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1129516/black-screen-at-boot-after-nvidia-driver-installation-on-ubuntu-18-04-2-lts

Although now I'm dealing with a different problem, so if I can't sort that tomorrow I may start another thread!

It seems a lot of Linux is knowing the terminal inside out and dealing with bizarre issues. Maybe it just isn't for non-savvy users.

Edit: also that theme is very cool

Hi, when you installed Zorin did you choose to elect to install drivers during install? The problem is that Zorin in their wisdom, added the nvidia driver latest to be installed to cater for the gaming boys - this won't work if you have an older graphics card. I would avoid the install drivers bit.

As for my theme this was a Wallpaper by Zorish on pling.com:

https://www.pling.com/p/1331740/

and the Icon/Button theme is Candy:

https://www.pling.com/p/1305251

;) :D

star treker

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:52:37 pm

When I installed Zorin OS 9, then Zorin OS 12 following its release, I always elected to install graphics drivers during install, and I never had a problem. The only problem I had was due to graphics drivers updates on the system later down the line that crippled my system. But I feel that its important to note, that was years ago. Since my latest re-install of Zorin OS 12 about a year ago now it feels like, I haven't had any troubles with graphics drivers updates.

However, I also feel it important to note, that everybodies system is different. Take my notebook for example, it uses a 2-GPU setup, and that alone can cause problems with drivers on Linux. They try to code these drivers for everybodies setup, but its really impossible to know. So sometimes we run into issues. Part of these issues are sometimes caused by incompatibilities with the system kernal version. And I have run into kernal issues personally before.

Yes, Linux in general is really for the technological savvy person. However, that is beginning to change, as distro's such as Zorin begin to break down the barriers, and giving the general computer user, the tools they need to use Linux. If you saw Linux in the 90's or the 2000's, your brain would literally pop like a balloon. Not even I could figure out Mandrake Linux in 2008! Zorin OS is where its at my friend, and Linux will only get easier to use in the next coming years.

lasmore

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54:14 am

I think I did opt for the 'modern drivers', maybe that was it.

A shame if that is the case; surely the gaming crowd would be far more able to sort any driver issues than the type of user who still has an older GPU.

I will see if I can sort this latest issue (tried testing the screen at too high a resolution, everything went black and won't revert, even using xrandr) and if not...maybe I'll have to wait another few years :mrgreen:

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:12:54 pm

Give antiX 19 or MX Linux 19 a go - needs minimal hardware requirements to run. ;) :D