This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trouble installing Zorin OS

tardisusers21

Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:50:49 pm

I am trying to install Zoron IS 15.1 on my laptop. It boots into Zorin os through the DVD I burned it to and runs well. When I tried to install it to the hard disk it goes fine until when you reach the last installation screen. After finishing that instead of Zorin installing it just stays stationary for hours upon end with nothing going on besides the mouse cursor spinning.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:01:25 pm

Do you install via the shortcut on the live desktop? Does the notebook have any other OS on it? More information please! ;) :D

tardisusers21

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:11:41 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Do you install via the shortcut on the live desktop? Does the notebook have any other OS on it? More information please! ;) :D

I tried installing it from the shortcut and from settings but none of them worked. It did have windows 7 on it but when I tried installing Zoron the first time it wiped windows 7.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:23:04 pm

So do you have Windows 7 on it still? Also check this post out which might be related.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15290#p68798

The best way to dual boot if you still intend/need 7 for some apps then this is the best method:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

Even though in the video it is Zorin 9, the same method should be used for Zorin 15 and 7. ;) :D

tardisusers21

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:52:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:So do you have Windows 7 on it still? Also check this post out which might be related.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15290#p68798

The best way to dual boot if you still intend/need 7 for some apps then this is the best method:

Even though in the video it is Zorin 9, the same method should be used for Zorin 15 and 7. ;) :D

It does not have windows 7 on it still since Zorin wiped it when installing. When i boot into the computer ,without the zorin installation disc inside it, it won't boot into anything.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55:40 pm

OK, Can you boot into the BIOS at all? If it has any of the following:

Windows Boot Manager - turn it off.

Fast Boot - disable

EFI/Legacy - Set to legacy.

When you run Zorin in Live mode (with the DVD), please run GParted and upload a screenshot.

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

tardisusers21

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:07:50 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, Can you boot into the BIOS at all? If it has any of the following:

Windows Boot Manager - turn it off.

Fast Boot - disable

EFI/Legacy - Set to legacy.

When you run Zorin in Live mode (with the DVD), please run GParted and upload a screenshot.

The bios don't seem to have anything you had suggested on it.

Aravisian

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:48:52 pm

tardisusers21 wrote:

The bios don't seem to have anything you had suggested on it.[/quote]
This screenshot is showing partition management, not the BIOS screen. The BIOS screen is the run by the Motherboard os and it is seen prior to your Operating System being loaded.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:01:23 pm

OK, so based on your word that there are no BIOS options as stated you need to choose the 'something else method' which I have explained in the unofficial manual:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14361

tardisusers21

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:39:51 pm

Aravisian wrote:

The bios don't seem to have anything you had suggested on it. This screenshot is showing partition management, not the BIOS screen. The BIOS screen is the run by the Motherboard os and it is seen prior to your Operating System being loaded.

I know what the bios is he said "When you run Zorin in Live mode (with the DVD), please run GParted and upload a screenshot." so i did that

Aravisian

Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40:08 pm

tardisusers21 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

The bios don't seem to have anything you had suggested on it. This screenshot is showing partition management, not the BIOS screen. The BIOS screen is the run by the Motherboard os and it is seen prior to your Operating System being loaded.

I know what the bios is he said "When you run Zorin in Live mode (with the DVD), please run GParted and upload a screenshot." so i did that

Oh. <scratches head> I misunderstood what I was seeing, given the screenshot and comments did not match eachother. Sorry.

tardisusers21

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:25:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, so based on your word that there are no BIOS options as stated you need to choose the 'something else method' which I have explained in the unofficial manual:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14361

Where is the "something else method" in the manual

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:48:25 pm

Page 94 of the manual.

carmar

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:16:22 pm

Ok, I stole this off the net but it is essentially what I saw every time I installed.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:10:51 pm

That is what I was referring to in the manual -'last option'. The only thing I would change is I would now increase '/' from 30 Gb to 50 Gb due to issues on another distro I've had to do with flatpak cache. I've tried applying the solution to delete items in flatpak cache to no avail. ;) :D

tardisusers21

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:02:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Page 94 of the manual.

Even if i am not dual booting will i need to do this?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:10:13 pm

It is advisable to - if you go for a blanket install, IF the system should crash you might lose everything. This way if '/' breaks you can just reinstall leaving your '/home' folder intact. ;) :D For accurate Gb of 50 multiply by 1024 = 51200. Your swap area should equate to double your installed RAM. ;) :D

tardisusers21

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:40:25 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Page 94 of the manual.

Could you show me a video tutorial or images on how to do it instead?

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:35:07 pm

36 minutes 28 seconds in. :D

tardisusers21

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:20:08 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:https://vimeo.com/110085401

Thanks, I'll try it now

tardisusers21

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:32:11 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:https://vimeo.com/110085401

why is the partition size 30,000 in the video and then the other partition 4096?

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:51:25 am

Hi, the 30 Gb partition was labelled '/' = root file system. The 4096 is at the end of an extended partition and is the linux swap - at the time the video was made, the general consensus was that it should be the same size as physical RAM - the current consensus is double the amount - I no longer have that motherboard as it started to play up saying side panel removed when it had been left off for years for ease of swapping drives.

tardisusers21

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:03:00 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, the 30 Gb partition was labelled '/' = root file system. The 4096 is at the end of an extended partition and is the linux swap - at the time the video was made, the general consensus was that it should be the same size as physical RAM - the current consensus is double the amount - I no longer have that motherboard as it started to play up saying side panel removed when it had been left off for years for ease of swapping drives.

so what should I do if I have a 120 GB HDD and 1gb of ram?

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:44:11 pm

Start of drive, Primary partition 50 Gb Ext4 and marked as '/'
Extended volume (logical partition):
At end of partition linuxswap of 2 Gb
Everything in front of swap, format to Ext4 and mark as '/home'

Install GRUB to sda.

MBMz10

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:00:09 am

tardisusers21 wrote:

Not sure if you are installing Core or Lite although you said it ran OK from the DVD and I am unable to tell from the screenshots but maybe if it is Core 1GB RAM could be an issue. 2GB recommended for Core, 512MB for Lite. See here https://zorinos.com/help/system-requirements/

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:25:44 pm

Actually on old gear I found Lite to be struggling to load with 2 Gb RAM. With 1 Gb RAM I would be looking at Sparky Linux, AntiX 19, MX Linux 19. ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:33:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Actually on old gear I found Lite to be struggling to load with 2 Gb RAM. With 1 Gb RAM I would be looking at Sparky Linux, AntiX 19, MX Linux 19. ;) :D

I'd take that a step further and shoot for Antix over MX Linux. MX is great, but won't perform nearly as well as Antix would on that.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:37:23 pm

Er hem - I got MX Linux 19 running on a D600 with only 512 Mb RAM. :D

(now disposed for someone else to play with now I have the D830)

tardisusers21

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:31:44 pm

MBMz10 wrote:
tardisusers21 wrote:

Not sure if you are installing Core or Lite although you said it ran OK from the DVD and I am unable to tell from the screenshots but maybe if it is Core 1GB RAM could be an issue. 2GB recommended for Core, 512MB for Lite. See here https://zorinos.com/help/system-requirements/

it was lite

tardisusers21

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:47:03 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Start of drive, Primary partition 50 Gb Ext4 and marked as '/'
Extended volume (logical partition):
At end of partition linuxswap of 2 Gb
Everything in front of swap, format to Ext4 and mark as '/home'

Install GRUB to sda.

Ok so I have done what you had said and there was nothing new. Just the same result as last time. It just closes the installer and does nothing

Aravisian

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:00:28 pm

You might try booting from LiveCD and "Try without installing" Then, in live mode, enter into terminal
Code:
service rsyslog stop

Then select the "install Zorin" icon directly and start the installation.

tardisusers21

Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:08:57 pm

Aravisian wrote:You might try booting from LiveCD and "Try without installing" Then, in live mode, enter into terminal
Code:
service rsyslog stop

directly from where?

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:21:53 pm

The install icon on the desktop - if it's not there suspect you have a corrupted .iso. :(

tardisusers21

Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:51:24 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:The install icon on the desktop - if it's not there suspect you have a corrupted .iso. :(

Oh wait I have that

tardisusers21

Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:07:45 pm

Aravisian wrote:You might try booting from LiveCD and "Try without installing" Then, in live mode, enter into terminal
Code:
service rsyslog stop

Well that's what's its been doing for a good while

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:20:51 pm

I see it is an HP Notebook - they usually come with 4 primary partitions - hidden restore, C drive (Windows), recovery media partition, recovery media creation partition - which prevents you from installing anything else as they make all the partitions primary - you could try and confirm this by booting into Windows, PC, Manage, Disk Management - and upload a screenshot of your partitions. ;) :D

tardisusers21

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:19:59 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I see it is an HP Notebook - they usually come with 4 primary partitions - hidden restore, C drive (Windows), recovery media partition, recovery media creation partition - which prevents you from installing anything else as they make all the partitions primary - you could try and confirm this by booting into Windows, PC, Manage, Disk Management - and upload a screenshot of your partitions. ;) :D

so I can't install anything on it other than Windows?

Aravisian

Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:23:36 am

Tardisuser, could you try booting into Bios, then settings and disable “legacy boot” and “Secureboot”. Save and exit.
In windows, disable "Fastboot"

Please see if this guide is helpful, on managing Windows partitions:
https://www.howtogeek.com/101862/how-to ... -software/

Then try booting into your Zorin installation medium again.

tardisusers21

Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:44:05 am

Aravisian wrote:Tardisuser, could you try booting into Bios, then settings and disable “legacy boot” and “Secureboot”. Save and exit.
In windows, disable "Fastboot"

Please see if this guide is helpful, on managing Windows partitions:
https://www.howtogeek.com/101862/how-to ... -software/

Then try booting into your Zorin installation medium again.

I have a very simple BIOS which does not have "secure boot" or "legacy boot"

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:32:50 pm

Can you please boot into Windows, go to Computer | Manage | Disk Management and post a screenshot of Disk Management - and be sure that the window box that states Healthy etc can be seen full for each partition please.

How to upload a screenshot: https://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

tardisusers21

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:19:01 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Can you please boot into Windows, go to Computer | Manage | Disk Management and post a screenshot of Disk Management - and be sure that the window box that states Healthy etc can be seen full for each partition please.

How to upload a screenshot: https://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

seems like zorin partitioned it but did not install

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:19:10 pm

No it has not partitioned it - you need to partition that unallocated space of 50 Gb - I would use the partition editor during install choose the something else method. At the start of that unallocated space create a '/' partition of 20 Gb formatted to Ext4, then create a logical (extended) partition to the end of the space that is left. Inside the logical partition create the swap area at the end of the drive which should be double the number of your physical RAM - so if you have 2 Gb of Memory, swap area needs to be 4 Gb. The space left in front of swap should be formatted to Ext4 and marked as '/home' for all your data. Please be aware that if you do this that you will overwrite your mbr with the Linux GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader). If you don't want to do this then at the first part of the unallocated space you need to create a '/boot' partition of 512 Mb formatted to Ext4 and tell the Zorin installer to place GRUB there. Then you will need to boot back into Windows XP and download EasyBCD from Neosmart, launch it (it will back up the Windows mbr) and then add the Linux boot partition to the menu.

tardisusers21

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:26:43 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:No it has not partitioned it - you need to partition that unallocated space of 50 Gb - I would use the partition editor during install choose the something else method. At the start of that unallocated space create a '/' partition of 20 Gb formatted to Ext4, then create a logical (extended) partition to the end of the space that is left. Inside the logical partition create the swap area at the end of the drive which should be double the number of your physical RAM - so if you have 2 Gb of Memory, swap area needs to be 4 Gb. The space left in front of swap should be formatted to Ext4 and marked as '/home' for all your data. Please be aware that if you do this that you will overwrite your mbr with the Linux GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader). If you don't want to do this then at the first part of the unallocated space you need to create a '/boot' partition of 512 Mb formatted to Ext4 and tell the Zorin installer to place GRUB there. Then you will need to boot back into Windows XP and download EasyBCD from Neosmart, launch it (it will back up the Windows mbr) and then add the Linux boot partition to the menu.

Didn't I do something like this before and it didn't work?

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:28:03 pm

Looking at that screenshot it doesn't look like it. ;) :D