This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Freeze after Closing LId

afkramer

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:44:02 pm

Zorin 15 Lite is probably the most perfect OS. I have found a problem on multiple computers, when I shut the laptop lid it freezes and gets stuck, requiring a hard shut down. Is there a fix for this? It seems like it is a known bug. Any help would be tremendous!

zabadabadoo

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:36:17 pm

You may want to look here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15282

Particularly this section of that post (reproduced here)...
ezymel wrote:When I am using Zorin, and I leave my computer with the lid open,everything is fine. When I close the lid, and reopen it. everything is frozen up. No activity whatsoever. I have to manually close it down and once booted up again, it works fine. Windows, I have no trouble with when I close the lid. The only thing that I can surmise is that Zorin goes into sleep mode and it is a deep sleep. Ha ha. It must be some kind of some glitch but I am not going to worry about it.

Aravisian wrote:This is a known bug with Ubuntu and I do not know of a good, solid solution. It affects some computers and of those, a small percentage respond to certain workarounds or "fixes" while some do not.
On my current machine, I am not affected. But my last one was. I got used to holding the power button down...
You could try the Lid Switch Fix:
http://tipsonubuntu.com/2018/04/28/chan ... 18-04-lts/
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1046826 ... laptop-lid
Also, using your Power Settings Manager, you can try setting all options to "never."

Another post about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15231

afkramer

Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38:20 pm

If this helps anyone in the future, I found the easy solution! Disabling screensaver in settings and changing power settings- when lid is closed- suspend. Works perfectly now!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58:44 pm

afkramer wrote:If this helps anyone in the future, I found the easy solution! Disabling screensaver in settings and changing power settings- when lid is closed- suspend. Works perfectly now!

Great work! Thanks for sharing! ;) :D