This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

File write permissions via Wine

Wigbert

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:10:44 pm

Hi All,

First, I'm no computer newbie but I am a windows guy NOT a Linux guy..
2nd, I am DESPERATE to break away from Windows and this is my 4th attempt to do so
3rd, I don't have the time to wade through pages of help learning exactly 'what' it is I need to do.

My problem (one of them) is this. When I install a windows program, in this case MSMoney 2001 using Play on Linux it all works fine until I want to access/save files to my QNAP server.
I have successfully mounted the network share but cannot save, via any program installed to Play on Linux, to that share. I also installed a simple backup program (Backer) and that too cannot save to the shared folder.

Further more, after going through the process of mounting the drive to /mnt whilst the folder is still there after re-boot there is no data. This is after following a procedure given to my by Installation Support
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1050460 ... 99#1050499

Surely, I mean it cannot be!, I have to go through the same process at every re-boot just to access a network share???????? which then does not allow me to save a file to that share, or even open it for that matter....

My observation is that if Linux, in any form, is going to replace Windows there MUST be an easy way to do in Linux (Zorin) what can so easily be acheived in Windows. I can map a network share to Windows 7 in seconds; I am currently loseing the will to use Zorin (I have already bought ultimate 12/15 (as I want to support it)) but I'm currently wondering why and even contemplating Windows 10 which I HATE the thought of....

Final question, is there such a thing as "How do I do in Zorin this thing I can do in Windows?" help guide? If not there really does need to be..

Sorry for the rant but I really am at the end If I don't get any help.

ps, I'm no idiot, I program Logic Controllers and design generator/lift control systems for a living.... PLEASE HELP!

Wigbert

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:15:15 am

Thanks everyone....

Aravisian

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:53:18 am

Wigbert wrote:ps, I'm no idiot, I program Logic Controllers and design generator/lift control systems for a living.... PLEASE HELP!

When it comes to the Unfamiliar, all any of us can do is learn. When you first learned to drive a car, I bet your knuckles were white on the steering wheel. And when you first learned to ride a bike, I bet you were demanding your dad not let go of it.
Something seems very daunting when it is unfamiliar and you are uncertain about what to do or how to operate it. Linux is so successful because many people keep on getting on the bike.
I agree with you- You are no idiot. So be patient and persistent. I recall that when I migrated from WinDO$ to Linux, it was two weeks of hell and I was NOT easy to get along with for that time. But then, I started learning and I haven't stopped yet.

Speaking of the Scary Unfamiliar stuff...

I HAVE NO IDEA what the answer to your question is. But I will hit some references and see what I can find. Perhaps a more knowledgeable person will pop in and make it look easy, in the meantime.

Wigbert wrote:Final question, is there such a thing as "How do I do in Zorin this thing I can do in Windows?" help guide? If not there really does need to be..

I think the trouble here is that in the end- so many people do so many different things, that would become a very long guide. I think a basic one May help and is a good idea... But ultimately, people usually learn better by rolling up their sleeves and getting in n' dirty.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:31:08 pm

Regarding Network sharing:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -on-linux/

(not all of us do this! ;) :D )

Wigbert

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:27:08 am

Hi Aravisian and Swarfendor437,

Many thanks for the replies, I was starting to get a bit despondent!

I appreciate the driving analogy but the reality is rather different. I knew quite well how to drive by observation of my father and was a rather naughty boy as a result. Before my 17th birthday my test driving reign of what is now known as TWOC'ing came to an abrupt end after "borrowing" a John Menzie's transit van whilst bunking off from school. My list of "tested" vehicles included a lorry, a Landover, several diggers, a single Decker bus and a double Decker I had to abandon 10 miles from the bus station after the police nearly got me. I do regret all this but am relieved I caused no damage to machine/person/animal.

At the age of about 6/7 I "hitched" a boat trailer to my tricycle and towed it around my granny's hotel car park.

I guess the point is I am not afraid to jump in and try out the unknown so I am going to persist with Zorin and I will break away from WinDo$ (the pun is not lost on me as I have programmed in command line) but my enemy is time.

I want to use Wine and some of my win programmes as a complete break is not going to work immediately, I need a transition period. Maybe it will be me that writes the "Guide". I am known as a very helpful guy teaching difficult subjects on some very complex equipment to people who really want to learn but don't have the same level of understanding that I do.

By giving out knowledge we ALL benefit and you can be certain that when asked on this forum, if I can answer I WILL but at this stage it is me that needs help. So thanks to both of you for your replies. I will post MY solution when I get what I want done.

Kind regards,
(a reformed naughty boy)

Wigbert

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:34:22 am

Errrrrr, Wierd,

Swarfendor437, I just looked at your DeviantArt page and not only do you have a photo of my home town BUT also a photo of a boat that I built as a child!!!!!!

My father was a boat builder and he employed child labour for many things including grp lamination and bore hole drilling to name but two.

At the age of 9 his outboard motor repair customers got a boost when I started repairing them so they actually got them back before the new season.. He was a bit too good at procrastination.

I know this is WAY off topic but what a coincidence..

Aravisian

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:39:30 am

What I have been able to uncover so far;
QNAP is responsible for the server, neither Windo$ nor Linux is. What this means is, QNAP must create and allow access for Linux. Which is very odd that it doesn't since Linux is often used on Servers, in general.
From QNAP:
https://www.qnap.com/solution/linux-station/en-us/
https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2019/qnap- ... plications