This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Gnome/Evolution work with O365 w/ MFA

HazNoSoul

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:54:20 pm

Hey guys,

Absolutely loving daily driving Zorin OS Ultimate. VERY happy to see a linux distro put so much effort into refinements that make a serious contender for enterprise environments.

Speaking of which, I've been trying to get a local program to integrate into my O365 Exchange. I have MFA required for all clients/services in my Azure/O365 tenants and I was curious to know if anyone knows when they will build the support for this into Gnome/Evolution? I've been accessing it through Outlook.Office.com but it would be nice to see what kind of experience can be expected by the towns and businesses I push over to this OS. (Also trying to get Jump Cloud to officially support Zorin 15+... awesomesauce IAAS right there)

I'm assuming this is what's causing it because I've tried attaching it to my O365 exchange account through the "Online Accounts" and "Evolution". When I temporarily disable MFA on my account, it allows it to sync fine (until it's turned back on).

Because of the security threats against Azure (and nearly everything else connected to the web), I have to leave MFA on for user accounts.

Anyone have a hidden gem of knowledge I haven't been able to find yet?

Thanks,
Seth

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:24:01 pm

I could be wrong but I think M$ wants you to be running Windows! The only thing for Linux (Ubuntu) appears to be Google!

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... henticator

HazNoSoul

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:26:10 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I could be wrong but I think M$ wants you to be running Windows! The only thing for Linux (Ubuntu) appears to be Google!

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... henticator

It works as its supposed to on OSX, the program is expecting to receive valid data and not another response from the user (MFA OTP from the M$ authentication app). I had a similar problem with a client project that was using OKTA to handle their SSO. They were trying to AzureAD join Win 10 devices for use with Intune (MDM) and the OKTA re-direct was breaking the login process.

The old way of thinking was, "I give you credentials, you give me data"... Modern way "I give you credentials, you validate and possibly ask for MFA".

One of the reasons I like O365 so much is because of the continuity throughout the Azure/O365 platform. PowerBI is one hell of a powerful tool.

I'll have to enable MFA on my personal gmail account and see if I get the same experience. I would think that Gnome Devs would be working on keeping all flavors fat and happy with the modern security principals. I really would love to see ZorinOS, OSX, and Win10 work for the users (Zorin is already on to this by creating the different themes that allow for easier user adoption... it's freaking powerful)

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17:40 pm

Please note this reply is my own personal opinion. I can see the advantage of being able to access Office from anywhere, however, aesthetically it is the worst suite of online applications I have ever had to deal with and uploading and having to download to edit is a pain, especially when cloud services don't support special fonts! Personally, the last best office to come out of the M$ stable was 2003 - everything was where it should be. From all accounts Excel since 2007 still does not meet the demands of Power Users that used 2003 (from a magazine article). From another article, someone who had visited Google and M$ - Google work as a team - Word and Excel teams just try to score points off each other. I've never been a fan of the ribbon - QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) gives me all I need that I used to get from 2003. Now I don't know what it is about Softmaker Office from Germany but whilst it also deploys the ribbon, it is much easier on the eye than all the bright rubbish M$ has come out with since Office 2013 and up. I have now the benefit of 5 machine licences for Windows and Linux - just enough to cover the family IT needs and it only cost me £23.70!
No monthly subscription. If I wanted a cloud I would create my own with a NAS and SSH to it. I don't trust 3rd Party Cloud services for applications - I do use Box for storing documents or to share things and for what I need I only require free storage limits. I was using Win 10 insider for a while then suddenly all my stuff (without consent) was moved to 1 drive and told my limit had exceeded the set limit and that I would have to start spening $1.30 a month if I wanted to continue - needless to say I deleted 1 drive from the install, but I will never move to Windows 10 - worst OS out there. :evil: