This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Compose Key and Disable Caps Lock

JRG

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:25:53 pm

I cannot find the Compose Key.

I have searched the Forums, however there is only one hit on "compose key" and it is about something else. As an aside, I discovered that CTL + . produced an ellipsis.

I am used to being able to set the compose key using the keyboard settings, but that does not help me. I want to set the right-hand ALT key as the compose key. I need accents and punctuation like ellipsis (…), upside down question (¿) and exclamation (¡) marks. I am writing this on my desktop computer which is running Linux Mint, so I know it can be done.

The other thing is just a minor annoyance. I am fumble-fingered and end up hitting the Caps Lock key by accident when I mean to press the Shift key (I learnt to touch-type on a typewriter).

How do I resolve the above? \I would be grateful for any assistance.

Aravisian

Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:20:42 am

I may not be understanding what you are looking for correctly, but you might try xbindkeys:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbindkeys

Code:
sudo apt-get install wish xbindkeys-config

Or you might try xmodmap (use same commands above to install except replace xbindkeys with xmodmap).

Searching for "remap keys Ubuntu" can give you other suggestions for similar software- so that you may explore and find which one suits you best.