This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Panel position

diedrichg

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:46:29 am

In the Zorin OS Ultimate Windows layout, is it possible to move the panel to any of the other sides other than the bottom? It's not mentioned anywhere on your website.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:33:10 pm

You only have two choices, Top and Bottom with the Windows 7 style theme. Go to Settings | Appearance | Zorin Appearance | Panel Tab.

You can either have the Panel at the Top or Bottom.

kay-dee

Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:26:59 pm

Swarf, can you change the size of the panel? Mine extends across the whole bottom of the screen and takes up a lot of real estate, getting in the way of scroll buttons, etc. I'd love it if it was tighter and centered in the bottom center, leaving the ends free.
Katie

star treker

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:49:24 pm

In the same place where you select weather to have the panel on the top or bottom, I believe there is also a setting in there to set your panel to auto hide. When you set your panel to auto hide, the panel will disappear, leaving you your full screen space. And when you want to use your panel, just hover your curser all the way to the very bottom of your screen, and then it will pop up for you.

kay-dee

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:22:42 pm

Thanks star treker.
Yup, that's exactly how I have things set up. I don't mean to muscle in on this thread, but the problem is when I'm running a program that has a control button, usually in the lower right. When I go to click on that button, the panel pops up instead. If the panel was shorter and positioned in the middle of the screen, it wouldn't be in the way. Maybe there's a way of replacing the panel and its functions with a dock. Don't know but must look into it.
Thank you...
Katie

star treker

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:40:18 pm

Hi Katie! :)

The only person who might not like you muscling in is a moderator. But since I am not one, there is no infraction lol. I hear what your saying, and it does sound like what you need is a dock. If you were to install XFCE desktop to your Zorin installation, and switch to XFCE, then you would have full customization options. From there you could go through steps to remove the panel and use a dock instead.

It might be a good idea to start your own thread asking how to do all that, and I already know who will have the answer, Aravisian. He's the one who helped me to install XFCE and switch to that, so he will be able to guide you through the steps on what to input into the terminal to make it happen. I don't remember the code commands so I am unable to help on the steps.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:39:09 pm

I'm currently on the MX Linux 19 Notebook - will post back later.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39:19 pm

Hi Katie,

I think you are only going to get a short panel if you have ultimate version of Core. The alternative is to hide the current Panel and install 'Docky' using Synaptics Package Manager - you can do all manner of things with Docky:

Docky.jpg

To change the Panel Size I would use the 'Text Scaler' Extension, and you could also look at Fonts in Zorin Appearance (Fonts Tab). Hope this helps, and yes you should really start your own thread but there is such a lot happening here, I don't care at the moment. Been a funny day. ;) :D

Aravisian

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:50:00 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Katie,

I think you are only going to get a short panel if you have ultimate version of Core. The alternative is to hide the current Panel and install 'Docky' using Synaptics Package Manager - you can do all manner of things with Docky:

Docky.jpg

To change the Panel Size I would use the 'Text Scaler' Extension, and you could also look at Fonts in Zorin Appearance (Fonts Tab). Hope this helps, and yes you should really start your own thread but there is such a lot happening here, I don't care at the moment. Been a funny day. ;) :D

I addition to the excellence above:
You would have to replace the gnome shell panel with a command to get rid of it in each case of using an alternate dock or Panel if screen space is an issue.
Yes, you can just install xfce4 panel and use that. You do not have to install the full desktop, XFCE4 panel operates independently.
Docky- as Swarfendor suggested or, I used Cairo-Dock for a very long time. It is extremely configurable in just about any which way you could possibly ever want.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:03:35 pm

Just to add that the Weather applet that comes with Docky no longer works - that is down to Weather Underground changing it's terms and conditions etc. - Most Weather services now expect a subscription! I wait to be corrected. ;) :D

kay-dee

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:07:33 pm

Thanks guys.
A lot to go over here, all of it good. Let me try a few things then open a new thread. My apologies to diedrichg.
And by the way, I do currently use Cairo Dock positioned up the left hand side of my screen. Cairo might be my best bet.
Katie