This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

WI-FI adapter not found

MuonWho

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:26:30 am

Hello
This is my first experience with any Linex system. Please be gentle. Toshiba Satellite C75 laptop, 8GB / 750GB HD / AMD A6. New installation with dual boot to failed WIN 10. I'm online with a USB tethered phone connection. I keep getting a "WI-FI adapter not found" notice. I've looked through BIOS setup and cannot find any mention of WI-FI adapter, but the laptop has a WI-FI indicator light and it is on. Any thoughts on how to get WI-FI?
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:57:53 pm

Is Win10 installed or not? Do you have the specification details of your notebook? Item 9 and Item 10 about wireless on this spec sheet doesn't look particularly promising:

https://support.dynabook.com/support/st ... Id=4008781

When you open Device Manager in Win 10 what Network devices are listed/named? See Post made by Mwalimu here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15300#p68933

Then follow the guide from here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/55868/i ... ss-drivers

;) :D

MuonWho

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:59:20 pm

Win 10 has failed. The laptop tries to boot into Widows, but cannot. I left Windows on the hard drive so that I can retrieve my files. So, no access that I am aware of to device manager. I will try to look around in the files to see if I can get the specs on the WI-FI adapter. I will also check the links you suggested to see if they can help. Thanks for your efforts so far.
Tom

carmar

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:38:54 pm

MuonWho

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20:30 pm

Yep! Newbie mistake. Function F12 turned WIFI on and Zorin connected immediately.
Thanks,
Tom

Aravisian

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:53:04 pm

MuonWho wrote:Yep! Newbie mistake. Function F12 turned WIFI on and Zorin connected immediately.

I would not have guessed that.
Yes! I am a newbie, again!
I need to remember this one since there have been a lot of threads lately asking about WiFi vanishing.

MuonWho

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:11:36 pm

The Function F12 was probably specific to my Toshiba Satellite C75. I believe that my older Toshiba had a physical slide switch.

Aravisian

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:34:37 pm

MuonWho wrote:The Function F12 was probably specific to my Toshiba Satellite C75. I believe that my older Toshiba had a physical slide switch.

Yes, the Dell computers have a switch on the side, too. But that's kind of it- I might suggest the switch on the side and the poster say, "it ain't got one, ya dope!" and I will start thinking of software troubleshooting instead of considering a Key Combo for it.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:05:19 pm

On a Samsung (to be avoided as they didn't provide fixes for their Intel chips following the meltdown fiasco) there is a BIOS setting to circumvent the Fn+ F9 key - Wireless permanently on - Enabled - Helps when the keyboard combination becomes foo-bard. :D