This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual Boot in UEFI

JeffK969

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:47:36 am

Hello,
Haven't tried to Dual Boot while in UEFI Boot before, always have done in legacy and via gparted made another partition. If I have Zorin Ultimate solely on my hard-drive and try to install a second OS, is it as easy to just select install along side Zorin (Ubuntu) and then use the slider to pick the amount of space and install? Hard to find a video online on dual booting two Linux Distro's. Everything seems to have that micro$$$$ along with it.

Thanks

Aravisian

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:01:33 am

JeffK969 wrote:Hello,
Haven't tried to Dual Boot while in UEFI Boot before, always have done in legacy and via gparted made another partition. If I have Zorin Ultimate solely on my hard-drive and try to install a second OS, is it as easy to just select install along side Zorin (Ubuntu) and then use the slider to pick the amount of space and install? Hard to find a video online on dual booting two Linux Distro's. Everything seems to have that micro$$$$ along with it.

Thanks

It's always been very easy for me. Sadly, in testing different things, I have done a lot of it. The vast majority of it was dualing alongside of Zorin and I never had any issues.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:09:32 pm

JeffK969

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41:52 am

Just put the disk in, rebooted and used the slide for size. Easier than I imagined. Never tried that before, have always done it the longer way via legacy.
Just wish I knew how I could've replaced the primary Z Ult with Z Ult Lite instead of wiping everything out... But it's done with now...lol

Aravisian

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:18:47 am

JeffK969 wrote:Just put the disk in, rebooted and used the slide for size. Easier than I imagined. Never tried that before, have always done it the longer way via legacy.
Just wish I knew how I could've replaced the primary Z Ult with Z Ult Lite instead of wiping everything out... But it's done with now...lol

You could have and I have done it. But it is a lot of work and tweaking. backup, then wipe and reload was probably faster, easier and less risky, less aggravating.

JeffK969

Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:06:03 pm

I have a 1TB B/U HDD that I mainly put music, vids, pics and all my 'must keep' files on, so it wasn't really that long. 2 hours tops to install both OS's. Could be done quicker, but I also set up Thunderbird/Evolution, Firefox/Chromium with all the links, themes. Uninstalled/installed packages/fonts (KMyMoney is a must for me). And all the other adjustments for my liking. It was an evening well spent. And now I'm going thru Postinstall depression. When everything is set up the way I want and now I'm looking for things to do.... New things to learn... It's sad....

Aravisian

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:44:38 pm

JeffK969 wrote:t was an evening well spent. And now I'm going thru Postinstall depression. When everything is set up the way I want and now I'm looking for things to do.... New things to learn... It's sad....

I understand EXACTLY what you mean... LOL
Sometimes... I actually think I enjoy doing a wipe and reload where I get to set everything all up again.

Nah...

JeffK969

Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:07:16 pm

So after reading what AZ said about the wifi, I may have to just install Z Ult as a 3rd boot option on a pc. Wondering if it would as easy as installing the 2nd. I'm not taking Z Ult Lite or Mint off.
I'm thinking it may be just as easy... But what do I know... Heck, I need something to do to help with my withdrawal. Been doing things with fonts, downloading some. Not that much fun...ha