This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

edit "log off"/lock/"power off"

erikw

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:43:49 pm

Hi,
recently i changed my home (lenovo) laptop from W10 to zorinOS 15 core
linux on my desktop is just recently (after trying some other distros in VM for some time) so i'm kind of newbe with that
( my job is AIX/Unix sysadmin, so i'm not afraid of CLI :D ) but on the other hand, when not at work i want it simple and not too much troubles :p

I have been busy tweaking some styles and appearences
i've been searching a while now how i can edit the "log off"/lock/power off" (at the bottem right next to the search
but unfortunately haven't found how to do that savely
my goal: change lock funtion to suspend function

bc i dont want the laptop to suspend when closing lid of laptop i installed gnome tweak and disabled this option
i dont need the lock option, (i'm used to use super+l (made a shortcut for that under keyboard settings))
as workaround for suspend i also made shortcut (super+s) for suspend (with command systemctl suspend), but also want to be able to use the menu
the "power off" dialog doesn give suspend option neither
i found a file widget.js which seem to have that functionality
but before i break my system by editing it ;) i'd like to know how to edit those functions and replace lock by suspend in a safe way
(and if not possible easily, how to add it to the "Power Off" dialog (now only has cancel, restart and "power off")

thanks in advance

Aravisian

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:33:27 am

The Zorin Menu is the Arc menu modified with Graeme Gott and the Zorin Team. It's pretty tough to edit that lil sucker...
Arc menu operates off binary and Shared Object files.
Right off the bat, have you tried using the GUI Alacarte Menu Editor? I am not really sure if it CAN do what you want it to do in this instance. I avoid Gnome like it is plague (Because it IS Plague.) So I do not remember off the top of my head what all Alacarte allows you to do.
Code:
sudo apt-get install alacarte

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:59:38 am

Main Menu is what it appears as (alacarte).

MainMenu.jpg

Menu | System Tools | Main Menu ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:01:56 am

Having looked closely at that, Main Menu just edits the Applications not the actual menu settings. There was a similar post and I found on askubuntu or similar that someone had written a script or edited some settings in one of the system sub-folders that controls this. ;) :D

erikw

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:54:42 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Having looked closely at that, Main Menu just edits the Applications not the actual menu settings. There was a similar post and I found on askubuntu or similar that someone had written a script or edited some settings in one of the system sub-folders that controls this. ;) :D

thank you for your suggestion, i forgot to mention i already looked there too and unfortunately it wasn in the "Main Menu" as you discovered too :)

in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/zorin ... orinos.com/ I found a widget.js script in which is seems the buttons are programmed
i will look on askubuntu too to find out if it was the same script

erikw

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:27:53 pm

Aravisian wrote:The Zorin Menu is the Arc menu modified with Graeme Gott and the Zorin Team. It's pretty tough to edit that lil sucker...
Right off the bat, have you tried using the GUI Alacarte Menu Editor? I am not really sure if it CAN do what you want it to do in this instance. I avoid Gnome like it is plague (Because it IS Plague.) So I do not remember off the top of my head what all Alacarte allows you to do.
Code:

thanks for your suggestion!
it seemed i already had alacarte installed (as part of the distro)
and already had looked in "main menu" for this option.
(i.e when i start alacarte from CLI (as found with dpkg -L ) i get the "men menu" i already looked in )

in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/zorin ... orinos.com/ i found a script widget.js in which is seems the buttons are programmed.
i'm afraid i have to edit that script ... or have to choose another distro, or forget my wish to have a suspend button :p

Aravisian

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:52:37 pm

erikw wrote:
Aravisian wrote:The Zorin Menu is the Arc menu modified with Graeme Gott and the Zorin Team. It's pretty tough to edit that lil sucker...
Code:

(i.e when i start alacarte from CLI (as found with dpkg -L ) i get the "men menu" i already looked in )

in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/zorin ... orinos.com/ i found a script widget.js in which is seems the buttons are programmed.
i'm afraid i have to edit that script ... or have to choose another distro, or forget my wish to have a suspend button :p

OR us e a different menu.
The Arc Menu is one of my favorites, too. But we all must admit, it is not very customizable.

In the meantime, we can look at that javascript file you found. let me jump on the test computer for that...be a few minutes...

erikw

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:46:17 pm

Aravisian wrote:
erikw wrote:
Code:

OR us e a different menu.
The Arc Menu is one of my favorites, too. But we all must admit, it is not very customizable.

In the meantime, we can look at that javascript file you found. let me jump on the test computer for that...be a few minutes...

using a differentt menu seems also a good solution..(stil in the learning curve :p )
how can i switch to a diffferent menu?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:51:48 pm

I don't know if it will solve your issue but you can download Gno Menu in Gnome - Shell Extensions:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension- ... 9rlEtg.png

Alternatives:

https://www.slant.co/options/1124/alter ... ternatives

Enlightenment has only ever been successfully deployed in E-live but I was concerned that auto-install uses Reiser FS written by a German Linux file system creator for SuSE Linux who murdered his wife, and on electronic documentation is a link to a dodgy site that reviews **** sites - eugh!

Aravisian

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:04:32 pm

erikw wrote:i found a file widget.js which seem to have that functionality

You would need to import that at the top of the menu.js after confirming it is the function that you need.
Then write in it's use.
I took a look at the script and I don't think we would break the system trying to edit it. I think we both would need help to edit it Properly, however.
I could get it sorted out given a couple days. ( I will continue to look at this project anyway as it may help me to figure out an example to a problem that I created for Swarfendor:D)
Or...
erikw wrote:using a differentt menu seems also a good solution..(stil in the learning curve :p )
how can i switch to a diffferent menu?

Swarf gave some suggestions just above and if you do not like those, we can make others.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:06:08 pm

I made a brief tour of Gno-Menu - it has been updated since (Gno-Menu, not the video!):

https://vimeo.com/222391756

erikw

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:39:30 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I don't know if it will solve your issue but you can download Gno Menu in Gnome - Shell Extensions:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension- ... 9rlEtg.png

Alternatives:

https://www.slant.co/options/1124/alter ... ternatives

Enlightenment has only ever been successfully deployed in E-live but I was concerned that auto-install uses Reiser FS written by a German Linux file system creator for SuSE Linux who murdered his wife, and on electronic documentation is a link to a dodgy site that reviews **** sites - eugh!

thanks!
just installed gno-menu it and it seems a good alternative ! it seem to have nice features!
(and even would be a perfect alternative if the suspend button is at the bottom of the menu (sorry i'm not satisfied quickly :P ) so now trying to find out if those buttons can be placed at the bottom :mrgreen: )

(or maybe i have to lower my expectations of the adjustability and accept the default (and my shurtcut 'workaround' :) )

Aravisian

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:43:09 pm

erikw wrote:(or maybe i have to lower my expectations of the adjustability and accept the default (and my shurtcut 'workaround' :) )

Sorry Swarf and well, Erikw...
For what you would like to customize, it sounds like WhiskerMenu would be the one for you. You can have the buttons at the top or at the bottom or not there, at all. You can adjust the opacity of the menu, what is within the menu, the size and shape of the menu easily.
There's a catch- it is for the XFCE4 panel. Personally, I use the WhiskerMenu version 1.5 as the latest version has LOST customization due to it being re-worked to operate on GTK3. You could install xfce4 panel, but you would have to run it alongside of your gnome panel.
Which leads to the next question:

Have you tried XFCE desktop?

erikw

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:50:02 pm

Aravisian wrote:
erikw wrote:(or maybe i have to lower my expectations of the adjustability and accept the default (and my shurtcut 'workaround' :) )

Sorry Swarf and well, Erikw...
For what you would like to customize, it sounds like WhiskerMenu would be the one for you. You can have the buttons at the top or at the bottom or not there, at all. You can adjust the opacity of the menu, what is within the menu, the size and shape of the menu easily.
There's a catch- it is for the XFCE4 panel. Personally, I use the WhiskerMenu version 1.5 as the latest version has LOST customization due to it being re-worked to operate on GTK3. You could install xfce4 panel, but you would have to run it alongside of your gnome panel.
Which leads to the next question:

Have you tried XFCE desktop?

on an old laptop (at work) i have the xfce version of ZorinOS, had no need for custimozations (only use it for listening to radio-streams and it's always on bc of boinc manager doing computing for projects)
(also looked at linux mint but i preferred the looks of zorinos
on my private laptop xfce did not seem necesary so i installed the core version of zorinOS.
but switching to xfce is still a possibility (atm not yet too much customizations and applications installed)
and whiskermenu seems to be made for me ;)
i will also try this soution (try zorinos xfce and whiskermenu ) it in a VM to see if it fits my expectations :)

thanks for all your help so far

Aravisian

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:58:36 pm

erikw wrote:i will also try this soution (try zorinos xfce and whiskermenu ) it in a VM to see if it fits my expectations :)

thanks for all your help so far

Just right click the WhiskerMenu on the panel and select properties and start playing around.

erikw

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:35:42 pm

@aravisian, @Swarfendor437
FYI i reinstalled my laptop with zorinos Lite (xfce) , feel more comfortable with this then with gnome (i 1st tried to install xfce4 , but that messed up my desktop )
after reinstall i had to delete some xfce related folders from my (preserved) /home , but now it seems okay
(although ' show desktop' doesn't exist under keyboard shortcuts (and the known shortcuts for it don't work.. but .. i made it available in a button on the panel)
workaround is using " wmctrl -k on" now for the shortcut (.. after a warning if i want to overwrite " show desktop" :-?
thanks again for helping !

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:36:20 am

erikw wrote:@aravisian, @Swarfendor437
FYI i reinstalled my laptop with zorinos Lite (xfce) , feel more comfortable with this then with gnome (i 1st tried to install xfce4 , but that messed up my desktop )
after reinstall i had to delete some xfce related folders from my (preserved) /home , but now it seems okay
(although ' show desktop' doesn't exist under keyboard shortcuts (and the known shortcuts for it don't work.. but .. i made it available in a button on the panel)
workaround is using " wmctrl -k on" now for the shortcut (.. after a warning if i want to overwrite " show desktop" :-?
thanks again for helping !

It used to be ctrl+alt+d...
testing...
Yep, still is on mine.