This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZORIN GETS FROZZEN AT UPDATING

pcfan5

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:31:01 pm

Hello. I have installed zorin 15 on a laptop which has intel N procesor and 4 GB ram, y cannot update. I gets frozzen as soon as the updater mannager is open, or even while dowloading packages or also it says I don't have internet conexion . I promised users this will be better than windows 10 . I don't know why releases aren't well tested before lunching...sorry to be so nasty saying this . Will it possible to install zorin 12 , it was more stable... ????

Aravisian

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:45:08 pm

I don't see anything that can prevent you from installing Zorin 12 as it is LTS.

As to the update manager freezing up--- I have no idea... I am running Zorin 15 Lite on two machines. On this machine, I have modified it so heavily- it wouldn't even be recognized as Zorin anymore. And I brutally murdered the Update Manager. Updates only happen if I request them.
On the other machine, it is stock Zorin 15 lite and I could swear the thing updates every single day. I hardly walk by it without it asking for more updates.
They seem to go through no problem but it sure eats a lot of them.

pcfan5

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:15:06 am

Aravisian wrote:I don't see anything that can prevent you from installing Zorin 12 as it is LTS.

As to the update manager freezing up--- I have no idea... I am running Zorin 15 Lite on two machines. On this machine, I have modified it so heavily- it wouldn't even be recognized as Zorin anymore. And I brutally murdered the Update Manager. Updates only happen if I request them.
On the other machine, it is stock Zorin 15 lite and I could swear the thing updates every single day. I hardly walk by it without it asking for more updates.
They seem to go through no problem but it sure eats a lot of them.

Thank you for your reply , when is the spire date for Zorin 12? - I was worried about since it is no longer linked in the official zorin site.. I am using Zorin lite. I have check the system files from USB live with gparted, no errors. Also run SMART test (short one) no errors, aswell.

Aravisian

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23:45 am

pcfan5 wrote:Thank you for your reply , when is the spire date for Zorin 12? - I was worried about since it is no longer linked in the official zorin site.. I am using Zorin lite. I have check the system files from USB live with gparted, no errors. Also run SMART test (short one) no errors, aswell.

Support was for five years. It will end in this year, actually. I was thinking of the extended security support which lasts until early 2023.

pcfan5

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29:01 am

Aravisian wrote:
pcfan5 wrote:Thank you for your reply , when is the spire date for Zorin 12? - I was worried about since it is no longer linked in the official zorin site.. I am using Zorin lite. I have check the system files from USB live with gparted, no errors. Also run SMART test (short one) no errors, aswell.

Support was for five years. It will end in this year, actually. I was thinking of the extended security support which lasts until early 2023.

You made me smile when you said you destroyed your OS . How can I get that extended support?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:36:57 am

Zorin 12 Lite was the first Lite version to use xfce (= xubuntu). xubuntu 16.04 on which Zorin 12 was based reached EOL in April 2019:

https://xubuntu.org/release/16-04/

xubuntu like lubuntu (lxde) LTS are usually for 3 years. :(

star treker

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:42:24 am

Both Aravisian and I have been doing the same things. I technically still have Zorin OS 12, technically... But in reality, I've installed XFCE desktop, and am running on that. And I've fully customized the OS with the Azenis theme. So its more like Azenis OS with XFCE flare :P

Screenshot_2020-01-26_18-33-02.jpg

pcfan5

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:45:55 am

I sort this frozzen issue by running in termina sudo get update (I know it isn't recomended but....) then run software mannager updater without trouble and the system got updated. But I swear the mannager tilt all the system.

Aravisian

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:48:04 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Zorin 12 Lite was the first Lite version to use xfce (= xubuntu). xubuntu 16.04 on which Zorin 12 was based reached EOL in April 2019:

https://xubuntu.org/release/16-04/

xubuntu like lubuntu (lxde) LTS are usually for 3 years. :(

Ah, I was looking at the Ubuntu 16.04 support lifespan. It did not occur to me that an alternate desktop would change that, I stand corrected.
pcfan5 wrote:You made me smile when you said you destroyed your OS . How can I get that extended support?

I am not sure- But I think it is for Paying Customers.

If destroying the OS made you smile- so might another reasonable option. Another member did similar and posted a thread about it.
Instead of installing Zorin 15 lite-- Install Xubuntu 18.04 lite. Then, add the Zorin Stable Repository and "Zorinify" the O.S.
Xubuntu 18.04 still offers XFCE 4.12 - will have support for longer AND is more conservative- or cautious-- with the Kernel Upgrades. I rolled mine back based on that, to 4.15.0-74
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable

Code:
sudo apt-get update

From here, you can install your Zorin goodies like Zorin Plymouth, Zorinmenulite and so on.
pcfan5 wrote:I sort this frozzen issue by running in termina sudo get update (I know it isn't recomended but....) then run software mannager updater without trouble and the system got updated. But I swear the mannager tilt all the system.

Wha?!
sudo apt update is very recommended... You need to run that...
star treker wrote:Both Aravisian and I have been doing the same things. I technically still have Zorin OS 12, technically... But in reality, I've installed XFCE desktop, and am running on that. And I've fully customized the OS with the Azenis theme. So its more like Azenis OS with XFCE flare :P

Oh... well this may explain a bit- you are running XFCE on Core with all the Gnome still installed. That may explain some odd tweaks...

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:51:02 am

10 year LTS is for Enterprise customers of Ubuntu. ;)

Aravisian

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:55:44 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:10 year LTS is for Enterprise customers of Ubuntu. ;)

What is Enterprise? Is that Capt. Kirks copy of Ubuntu?

"Scotty! I need more power to the engines!"

"Aye, sir... Ah'm jes runnin' su'o apt upgrade on the lass n' we'll be up n' runnin' inna wee moment."

star treker

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:03:11 am

You are so right Aravisian!!!

And Scotty was so proud of his upgrading work on the engines, he wanted to have a feel of her ample nacelles. :P

Aravisian

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:31:07 am

https://ubuntu.com/blog/tag/enterprise
star treker wrote:And Scotty was so proud of his upgrading work on the engines, he wanted to have a feel of her ample nacelles. :P

You made it weird. :|

star treker

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:47:53 am

Aravisian lol. In one of the latest Star Trek reboot movies, Scotty actually says that line about the nacelles attached to the ship, so its pretty much a pure recital. He said it not me, even though I just said it. HAHA lol

Aravisian

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:14:11 am

pcfan5 wrote:Hello. I have installed zorin 15 on a laptop which has intel N procesor and 4 GB ram, y cannot update. I gets frozzen as soon as the updater mannager is open, or even while dowloading packages or also it says I don't have internet conexion . I promised users this will be better than windows 10 . I don't know why releases aren't well tested before lunching...sorry to be so nasty saying this . Will it possible to install zorin 12 , it was more stable... ????

I did some searching and one suggestion that seems to be the most common is to remove and then reinstall the update manager

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge update-manager

Code:
sudo apt-get install update-manager

This may remove the zorin-desktop. If so, make sure you have your Zorin repository added
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable

Code:
sudo apt update

and afterward, run
Code:
sudo apt-get install zorin-desktop

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:15:05 pm

The same can also be said about apt too! ;) :D

pcfan5

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:45:50 pm

Well, I won't mess my OS like that, also it isn't my computer. Returning the topic, I was wondering why they updater mannager got like that , that made all the OS frozzen, until I did sudo get update on terminal . This isn't the way it is supposed to work. Have developer noticed about this problem?. Is there a way to avoid it , this computer will be operated by non advanced users, in fact I am not advanced linux user myself.-

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:08:07 pm

Sometimes if the repos are hard to make a connection could cause a freeze. Is the updater set to point to 'Maini Server'? ;) :D

pcfan5

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:44:46 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Sometimes if the repos are hard to make a connection could cause a freeze. Is the updater set to point to 'Maini Server'? ;) :D

I guess it is , I cannot say for sure right now, but I remembered from your unofficial manual and I recall having checked that. I will check it soon again; and come back.