This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Uninstalled gnome-shell and much more - need help

itzDrunky

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:05:52 am

So i ran into a login loop problem (caused by my being c*** at linux) and eventually figured it out. The problem is that in the process of doing so, I uninstalled and then reinstalled gnome shell and now I can't even open zorin appearance. I also cant use zorin connect or zorin dash anymore...

Is there anything i can do short of uninstalling zorin?

I have some pictures below of the problem

Error: Schema org.gnome.shell.extensions.zorin-dash could not be found for extension zorin-dash@zorinos.com. Please check your installation.

~$ zorin-appearance
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/zorin-appearance", line 11, in <module>
load_entry_point('zorin-appearance==3.0', 'gui_scripts', 'zorin-appearance')()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zorin_appearance/__main__.py", line 159, in main
window = ZorinAppearance()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zorin_appearance/__main__.py", line 75, in __init__
desktop_box.add(desktop.Layouts())
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zorin_appearance/desktop.py", line 76, in __init__
for interface_layout in layout.Layout.__subclasses__():
NameError: name 'layout' is not defined

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:12:31 pm

Hi, open a terminal, and if not already installed, install Synaptic Package Manager with:

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

Once installed, press Alt+ F2 and enter 'synaptic' without the quotes. You will be asked for your login password to give you 'root' privileges.
Once in Synaptic, just search for 'Zorin' - mark all packages you have missing for installing by right-clicking the little square to the left of each package. You may get some message advising you will also be installing additional packages - these will be dependencies. Then click on 'Apply' on the top menu bar of Synaptic.

Keep us posted. ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:18:44 pm

https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/stable
In addition to Swarfs good advice--above is a list of the packages that come with Zorin and Zorin Lite.
Just add the repo, note the name of the package you are missing and in terminal
(For example)
Code:
sudo apt-get install  zorin-appearance-layouts-shell-core

You might also try in terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install zorin-desktop

itzDrunky

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:06:29 pm

Thank you so much you both! using these i got everything working again and I'm good to go. thanks once again synaptic and the zorin os repo got it done

Aravisian

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:18:45 am

itzDrunky wrote:Thank you so much you both! using these i got everything working again and I'm good to go. thanks once again synaptic and the zorin os repo got it done

I know, because I have done the same exact thing.
Multiple times.:D

I get a little experimental with the OS on occasion...

itzDrunky

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:58:50 am

Aravisian wrote:
itzDrunky wrote:Thank you so much you both! using these i got everything working again and I'm good to go. thanks once again synaptic and the zorin os repo got it done

I know, because I have done the same exact thing.
Multiple times.:D

I get a little experimental with the OS on occasion...

Yea I Feel really stupid finally realizing what the problem was... I was about to go nuclear and just part ways with my data on the drive. I'm glad i came here first and can get help from those with the experience

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:21:12 pm

Now might be a good time to backup that data! ;) :D