This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Internet disconnections

Inferdramon

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:38:51 pm

Recently, my parents' computer, which has Zorin installed on it, has been having issues with internet connectivity. It was at its worst today, with disconnections every 2 minutes. Is there anything we could do to strengthen the connection and keep it from getting booted off all the time?

Our modem is Motorola SB5100 Surfboard. We have a Netgear router. It's RangeMax Duo Wireless N Router model number WNDR3300. I used a USB adapter to get internet on Zorin. The brand is Asus 802.11n and the model number is USB-N13, or something like that.

madvinegar

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:15:15 am

Since, (if I understand well), your PC did not use to have problems with the internet, but all the problems started recently, I suspect that this is probably caused either by your router/modem or by your internet provider.

Or, did all these problems start to happen after an update in zorin?

Wolfman

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:21:35 am

Hi,

check the MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) settings for your router, my Alice router (my German ISP) is set manually to 1492, if the MTU is not set correctly, it can lead to slow downloads and connection breakage.

The MTU under Linux is normally set to automatic, this is not to say that that is wrong either!!. Check the internet for the best settings for your router.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:16:17 am

Also try changing the channel of your wifi (through the settings of your router)! Try 6, or 9, or 11 etc. You can get much better reception in specific channels, whilst in others you get disconections etc.