This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem upon reboot

tld6008

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:41:38 am

I went to reboot my notebook running Zorin 15 and all that came up is a Busybox text saying to type help and upon doing that something called Intramfs shows . I cant get the computer to boot up to anything else and after poking around a little I got some reports with he last line as below (in bold).

After reading up on this some suggested booting to grub and follow certain paths which none of them seem to get results

the root filesystem on /dev/mapper/zorin--vg-root requires a manual fsck

Please help!

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:50:33 pm

Hi, to get GRUB showing if Zorin is the only OS on the machine you will need to press the left Shift Key at boot time if GRUB has never shown up at boot time. Once GRUB can be seen you have 10 seconds to make a choice - choose the advanced options for your current kernel, then on safe graphics mode. Once there, choose to launch Terminal with root privileges then follow my advice at the start of this post I made about the login loop:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15297#p68833

tld6008

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:15:03 pm

Thanks, I guess I was getting to grub all along as the lft shift key booted to the normal page.
. When I select advanced options the next page is (attch 1)
1.JPG

There are also 3 buttons on the lower screen edge but I cant make out how to use them.
Anyway no matter what option I select on Attch 1 I get (see attach 2)
2.JPG

And if I type "help" I get (below)
3.JPG

Zorin is the only OS on my computer
Looking forward to suggesitons

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:00:46 pm

OK, you have several kernels on there - choose the 3rd menu item down which is the kernel installed before your present one - if it boots normally then we have discovered that the problem is the newer kernel which will need removing. If that makes no difference, choose the second item of the top two on the menu: recovery mode. This is where you choose dropping to root prompt (command line) and enter:

Code:
fsck /dev/sda1

Then answer 'y' to everything. ;) :D

tld6008

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:49:47 pm

Thrd menu item didn't work, Second item (recovery mode) ended up with same result but ran through a bunch of text first
Your statement "This is where you choose dropping to root prompt (command line) and enter: " Doesn't give me any direction. What I see is the screen shown on my 3rd attachment from previous reply. Even so I added the lines you showed separately and got no results.
What does" CODE: Select all" mean?

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:35:28 am

tld6008 wrote:Thrd menu item didn't work, Second item (recovery mode) ended up with same result but ran through a bunch of text first
Your statement "This is where you choose dropping to root prompt (command line) and enter: " Doesn't give me any direction. What I see is the screen shown on my 3rd attachment from previous reply. Even so I added the lines you showed separately and got no results.
What does" CODE: Select all" mean?

CODE Select all is merely the Forum Websites link to allow you to copy the code into your clipboard.
All you need to do is highlight the text within the Code Box.
So for this:
Code:
here is some code

and you want to enter that in terminal, you would just copy the part that says,
here is some code

On that screen, choose the SECOND TO LAST option available. Then, follow Swarfendors instructions the same from that point. Let's see if that kernel allows you to boot normally.

tld6008

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:24:19 am

OK thanks for the explanation, although I cant copy and paste anything since I am using a different computer to read these messages.
Your suggestion (2nd to last option) does nothing different. I assume the screen you referred to was what I posted as attchmnt 1

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:20:42 am

tld6008 wrote:OK thanks for the explanation, although I cant copy and paste anything since I am using a different computer to read these messages.
Your suggestion (2nd to last option) does nothing different. I assume the screen you referred to was what I posted as attchmnt 1

Ok, in that case, you must resort to pen and paper and carefully checking for typoes. ;)

Nothing different... hmm... Back to the top.

Do your boot thing and when you get back to the screen that says "busybox v.1.27.2 .etc. (initramfs)"
Type
exit
then hit enter.
At this point, it should list any errors- if you could snap a picture of that and post it here.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:02:25 pm

Hi, you may need to get your hands on a Kali Linux CD/DVD and run it live and follow my tutorial here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14115&hilit=+e2fsck#p62062

tld6008

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:09:59 pm

Aravisian wrote:
tld6008 wrote:OK thanks for the explanation, although I cant copy and paste anything since I am using a different computer to read these messages.

Ok, in that case, you must resort to pen and paper and carefully checking for typoes. ;)

Nothing different... hmm... Back to the top.

Do your boot thing and when you get back to the screen that says "busybox v.1.27.2 .etc. (initramfs)"
Type
exit
then hit enter.
At this point, it should list any errors- if you could snap a picture of that and post it here.

There definitely are errors when I do this and there is more that one page of text that runs by before stopping, is there anyway to stop the progress or view the first part once it stops, or maybe that part will not show errors?
Below is what happens if I select the first (top) option and type exit
4.JPG

When I select the second (recovery) option this is the last part displayed
5.JPG

there is an error but the recommendation comes back to my original post

tld6008

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:11:07 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, you may need to get your hands on a Kali Linux CD/DVD and run it live and follow my tutorial here:

I will try to do this and report back

tld6008

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:38:59 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, you may need to get your hands on a Kali Linux CD/DVD and run it live and follow my tutorial here:

I am downloading KALI Live now and will follow your instructions and report back.
Could this problem be a hardware issue i.e. hard disc issue?

tld6008

Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:58:07 pm

I booted from KALI Live . There were several options to choose from and I selected the first, KALI LIVE. It opened to the following screen no prompt for username or Pword and no response from keyboard input. I will try to research the Linux Doc referenced. I had an issue with Kernal Panic on this computer with an earlier version of Zorin. It went away with the install of Zorin 15 but now seems to be back.
6.JPG

star treker

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:21:14 pm

I've had a kernal panic before, and it really did cause panic in me I tell ya. Nothing scarier then when the system won't even boot into the OS. If I recall, the simple solution was to rollback to an earlier kernal from the GRUB menu. I've actually had to do that a couple of times since an update. Zorin 15 is quite new, and it uses the new kernal. But if you have an old system like mine, these new kernals don't work on our systems.

tld6008

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34:43 pm

star treker wrote:I've had a kernal panic before, and it really did cause panic in me I tell ya. Nothing scarier then when the system won't even boot into the OS. If I recall, the simple solution was to rollback to an earlier kernal from the GRUB menu. I've actually had to do that a couple of times since an update. Zorin 15 is quite new, and it uses the new kernal. But if you have an old system like mine, these new kernals don't work on our systems.

Well the reason I have Zorin 15 is due to a earlier Kernel Panic with Zorin 9. Nothing on my grub menu works.

Aravisian

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:29:28 am

tld6008 wrote:There definitely are errors when I do this and there is more that one page of text that runs by before stopping, is there anyway to stop the progress or view the first part once it stops, or maybe that part will not show errors?
Below is what happens if I select the first (top) option and type exit
4.JPG

When I select the second (recovery) option this is the last part displayed
5.JPG

there is an error but the recommendation comes back to my original post

Ok can you try the command:
Code:
(initramfs) fsck /dev/mapper/zorin--vg-root

OR
Code:
fsck -y  /dev/mapper/zorin--vg-root

Got more tricks if those just fail...

tld6008

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:02:05 pm

Aravisian, I did run the second command and as a result ended up being able to boot into Zorin without issue. There was a diagnostic page that showed up prior to the boot process that indicated a problem with the hard drive. Prior to that I had run a Dell diagnostic process and the HDD failed some tests.
I plan to buy another HDD and replace.

star treker

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:04:50 pm

When hard drives get old, they begin to fail. I got a computer in my home right now that has a hard drive with bad sectors, and it only gets worse, and slows down more. There are apps and other functionality that don't even work due to the condition of the hard drive. I've been putting off on the swapping of the drive and re-installation project, cause again, its a project lol.

There used to be a time when a mechanical hard drive would outlast an SSD drive, but that was like 20-years ago. These days, mechanical hard drives have a higher failure rate, mostly due to poor quality. But then when you consider that modern SSD drives are designed to last at least 10-years, they start being king of the mountain. Only trouble is, SSD's are about twice as expensive as mechanical drives these days.

Last I checked a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro drive was still 200+ dollars when I last checked. I think they have a new 860 Pro model out now though. People who don't game however can get away with a 128GB SSD hard drive which can be had for as little as 60 bucks or so. Anyways, get that drive replaced there buddy. Looks like a new install will be in your future soon. I wouldn't even attempt to back up a corrupted OS for transfer to the new drive.

carmar

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:58:32 pm

tld6008 wrote:Aravisian, I did run the second command and as a result ended up being able to boot into Zorin without issue. There was a diagnostic page that showed up prior to the boot process that indicated a problem with the hard drive. Prior to that I had run a Dell diagnostic process and the HDD failed some tests.
I plan to buy another HDD and replace.

Are you referring to SMART? I've had SMART warnings from BIOS that I later found unreliable. A HDD I use on my desktop got SMART warnings. Ran chkdsk, had one or two bad sectors but nothing more than that. After the chkdsk run, SMART didn't come up again. I used HDD sentinel (https://www.hdsentinel.com/) and it showed up fine every time. That same drive has been my Zorin boot drive for 8 months now, and I rarely boot to Windows.

My point is that your drive may not be bad even if BIOS says it is. I'm not familiar with Dell diagnostics, so I can't opine on that.

tld6008

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:29:03 pm

star treker wrote:When hard drives get old, they begin to fail. I got a computer in my home right now that has a hard drive with bad sectors, and it only gets worse, and slows down more. There are apps and other functionality that don't even work due to the condition of the hard drive. I've been putting off on the swapping of the drive and re-installation project, cause again, its a project lol.

There used to be a time when a mechanical hard drive would outlast an SSD drive, but that was like 20-years ago. These days, mechanical hard drives have a higher failure rate, mostly due to poor quality. But then when you consider that modern SSD drives are designed to last at least 10-years, they start being king of the mountain. Only trouble is, SSD's are about twice as expensive as mechanical drives these days.

Last I checked a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro drive was still 200+ dollars when I last checked. I think they have a new 860 Pro model out now though. People who don't game however can get away with a 128GB SSD hard drive which can be had for as little as 60 bucks or so. Anyways, get that drive replaced there buddy. Looks like a new install will be in your future soon. I wouldn't even attempt to back up a corrupted OS for transfer to the new drive.

I want to get a SSD but can't get confirmation if one will fit into this computer I would think so but cant get a yes answer anywhere I was looking at a Sandisk 1T drive ($100) And I have a Dell Inspiron 1500 (3542) For the life of me I can't get a straight reply from any Dell FAQ, Knowledgebase or Support forum
star treker wrote:When hard drives get old, they begin to fail. I got a computer in my home right now that has a hard drive with bad sectors, and it only gets worse, and slows down more. There are apps and other functionality that don't even work due to the condition of the hard drive. I've been putting off on the swapping of the drive and re-installation project, cause again, its a project lol.

I have had multiple indications that there is a HDD problem, actually started back when I had Zorin 9. So this one is soon to be history

Aravisian

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:53:56 pm

tld6008 wrote:I want to get a SSD but can't get confirmation if one will fit into this computer I would think so but cant get a yes answer anywhere I was looking at a Sandisk 1T drive ($100) And I have a Dell Inspiron 1500 (3542) For the life of me I can't get a straight reply from any Dell FAQ, Knowledgebase or Support forum

Yes, it will fit 7mm or 9mm.
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all- ... _en-us.pdf
You can also buy a 9.5mm adapter, if needed.

tld6008

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:38:42 pm

I installed a new SSD and reinstalled Zorin 15 but I am now having an issue with restoring the Backup that I made. When I select the backup file to restore it says there is nothing to restore but the folder is there full of Duplicity files. Any suggestions?

Aravisian

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:07:22 am

Open the restore folder that is full of Duplicty files and rename them to have ".gz" on the end of each name and see if that resolves.

tld6008

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:52:46 am

Aravisian wrote:Open the restore folder that is full of Duplicty files and rename them to have ".gz" on the end of each name and see if that resolves.

Currently all the duplicity file extensions are .gpg. What will this do?
Another thing that is bugging me is when I view the properties of a file it doesn't show the date created or altered do you know if there is a way to turn that feature on?

tld6008

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:55:38 am

Aravisian wrote:Open the restore folder that is full of Duplicty files and rename them to have ".gz" on the end of each name and see if that resolves.

Is there a way to change the extensions as a batch. There are 99 of these files

Aravisian

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:58:31 am

tld6008 wrote:

Is there a way to change the extensions as a batch. There are 99 of these files

LOL yeah... that's not a fun task.
In XFCE (Zorin LITE) there is using the Thunar Bulk rename tool. I am not sure about Gnome, though...
Maybe this: https://www.gnome.org/batch-rename-3/

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:54:20 pm

You can install Thunar file manager in Zorin Core - when you do so it also install the Thunar bulk file renamer but I have not tried it on my install of Core. Make a copy of some files you want to rename so you don't bork the original files and see if it works. ;) :D

tld6008

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:29:43 pm

FYI,
I did download Thunar and used the Bulk Rename feature changing the extension to gz as you suggested but the restore failed as it did with the
I noticed in another thread on this site you have commented on issues with the Backup program in the past. I loaded Zorin 15 around Aug 30 last year so I don't know if the problem was resolved by then

Aravisian

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:36:48 pm

tld6008 wrote:FYI,
I did download Thunar and used the Bulk Rename feature changing the extension to gz as you suggested but the restore failed as it did with the
I noticed in another thread on this site you have commented on issues with the Backup program in the past. I loaded Zorin 15 around Aug 30 last year so I don't know if the problem was resolved by then

That bulk rename may still come in handy.
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup/Hel ... /WorstCase
Scroll toward the bottom- I was led to that place when I found this link:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1136241 ... ore-failed

I have personally had very little trouble with Duplicity Backup- however, I also no longer use it.
I compress the folders that I want to back up to tar.gz and store them in a safe place. Then if I need them, I just extract them to the new O.S.
However, this comes in handy if I need to restore only a file and not my whole system, as well.