This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Livebox wireless connection resolved

mullet

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:26:04 pm

Dear all,

I got so fed up with Vista (windos XP was good...if it ain't broke, don't fix it) and decided to give Zorin a bash. Really like it on first impressions.

However, what a nightmare trying to get the wireless to work. what a waste of hours in evenings of internet searches to find the solution. So I hope to spare some lesser skilled people, like me, this agony. Essentially what happened is I installed and downloaded the recommended drivers and updates via a cable connected to the livebox. Although the wifi would detect the network of my livebox and that of my neighbours', it would just go round and round trying to connect. I assumed this was a driver issue, and this is what I based my internet searches on.

Then I thought, "what if this is a livebox issue?". If you are using a livebox with the same issues I have outlined above, try this (I did this in the French language, so don't know what word for word what it would be in English, but you should get the jist)...

Find your MAC address by opening a terminal and typing xifconfig
Using a cable connection or use of another laptop or computer , go to your livebox set up (I typed in a web page 192.168.1.1).
Go to the configeration of the wifi parameters, add a new computer or device. It is here you should be able to enter the mac address. Save the changes.

After doing this, I can finally connect after entering the password/security key.

I'm not technically-minded enough to explain in greater depth, but it worked for me. I just wish this basic solution was easy to find in the first place and,in this case, wasn't a limitation of Zorin but rather lack of info.

Cheers,
Ian.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:58:53 am

Hi Ian,

thanks for sharing the info with everyone. I understand what you said no problem. :D

Regards Wolfman :D