This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dead printer

bernardknight

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:18:11 pm

I have just come to Zorin from Windows - all working OK so far except printing. Not a twitch out of the printer, though I have done all possible checking of settings. Correct HP printer ikon appears, all 'jobs' appear in list, but still stays dead. I came across a huge error list somewhere in the system, meaningless to me.
Any advice please?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:07:49 pm

Hi,

install the packages "hplip-gui" and "hpijs-ppds", these should bring your printer to life, HP support for Linux is very good.

Use the HP-Toolbox (GUI) to configure your printer!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

bernardknight

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:19:35 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Have you tried installing the HPlip printer drivers?

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

What model of HP printer by the way?

Many thanks. I've just had a look at the hplip site you recommend - it's formidable, 15 stages to go through, most of the nomenclature incomprehnsible to me, but I'll give it a shot. The printer is an OfficeJet G555 All in One Beginning to feel nostalgic about Windows!

bernardknight

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:22:48 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

install the packages "hplip-gui" and "hpijs-ppds", these should bring your printer to life, HP support for Linux is very good.

Use the HP-Toolbox (GUI) to configure your printer!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Thanks for advice, I' so green re Linux that I don't even know which version of Zorin I've got, which is the first thing these packages demand. I'll lpok for the Linux Toolbox first.
Thanks again