This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

15Lite: Status notifier does not show labels

brunoais

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:56:38 pm

Background
I have a program made in C which shows temperatures in the indicator section of the panel.
You can find my version of the code here: https://github.com/brunoais/clevo-indic ... is_version

Problem:
When I start the program, I can't see the text contents next to the icon. The exact text that shows the CPU temperature the program is detecting.
It appears like no labels are appearing with the status notifier panel plugin

It was working just fine in ZorinOS12Lite. What changed?

Aravisian

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:53:51 pm

brunoais wrote:Background
I have a program made in C which shows temperatures in the indicator section of the panel.
You can find my version of the code here: https://github.com/brunoais/clevo-indic ... is_version

Problem:
When I start the program, I can't see the text contents next to the icon. The exact text that shows the CPU temperature the program is detecting.

I don't know what changed, but you may check whether the theme default label is interfering.
Try adding the following to or creating a gtk.css file in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
Code:
  XfdesktopIconView.view .label {
    color: rgba(255,255,255, 0.9);
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 2px black; }

Change the alpha and the background color and text color as needed- if the labels show up after ensuring contrasting colors, then we have a patch for now and know where to look for a fix.

brunoais

Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:34:31 pm

Aravisian wrote:
brunoais wrote:Background

Problem:

I don't know what changed, but you may check whether the theme default label is interfering.
Try adding the following to or creating a gtk.css file in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
Code:
  XfdesktopIconView.view .label {
    color: rgba(255,255,255, 0.9);
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 2px black; }

Change the alpha and the background color and text color as needed- if the labels show up after ensuring contrasting colors, then we have a patch for now and know where to look for a fix.

I added as you suggested, I restarted the PC and it still doesn't appear.
Here's how it shows up:
icons_no_label.png
Here's how the label appears in my PC next to the redshift and bluetooth control
icons_no_label.png (1.51 KiB)

The left one has only the icon, no label.
Here's how it should appear:
label_example.png
Example of how the label should appears itself (different DE) next to the keyboard control
label_example.png (6.94 KiB)

brunoais

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:56:38 pm

Any more help?

Aravisian

Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:47:51 pm

brunoais wrote:I added as you suggested, I restarted the PC and it still doesn't appear.
Here's how it shows up:
icons_no_label.png

The left one has only the icon, no label.
Here's how it should appear:
label_example.png

Your program gets the temp information from /sys/kernel/debug/ec/ec0/io, correct? Interestingly, I do not have that folder and I wonder if changing the source may help.
Otherwise, this definitely looks like an XFCE 4.14 thing. I just tested this using Xubuntu- and I used an instance of XFDesktop 4.12 and then again using 4.14 and easily duplicated the result.
I have not found a solution at this time, but will have to keep trying.

brunoais

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34:32 pm

The program actually uses outb(). It communicates directly with the EC. I don't know that much about that part because I didn't write that code.

I'll do a second test to check the differences and the lack of labels between the previous version and current version comparing XFD 4.12 and XFD 4.14

Aravisian

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:01:45 am

brunoais wrote:The program actually uses outb(). It communicates directly with the EC. I don't know that much about that part because I didn't write that code.

I'll do a second test to check the differences and the lack of labels between the previous version and current version comparing XFD 4.12 and XFD 4.14

Yes, IO Input/Output. I pulled the path above out of the source code for the app, which is why I asked about it. I am not sure, either. Probably aimed for the most universal and direct route, but (I could be wrong) I would think getting the temps from hwmon would be more reliable. At least that is how I grab mine...
I wonder if you modify it that way, would it work on the newer (18.04 and 20.04) Ubuntu Derivatives.