This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

display resolution help

ccm001

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:20:52 pm

Help a (somehwat) newbie.

I have limited experience with linux, know some basics and some basic terminal commands.

Decided I wanted to try out Zorin on an old laptop with nvidia graphics and it's giving me some issues (surprise, surprise).

Did Zorin install (Lite) with nvidia option. It works, I'm liking Zorin so far! But I can't keep using it with just 1024x768 resolution - but that's the only option in display settings.
The laptop is older HP pavilion dv2268, with an nvidia 7150m/630m chipset. Using lspci command it does list the chipset - 00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C67 [GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M] (rev a2)

It doesn't seem like I can install older nvidia drivers (like 304) - I'm assuming because it's for older kernels.

My nvidia X Server Settings comes up blank, totally blank - no text, no options, nothing.

Anyone know of a way to boost resolution?
Use an older Zorin, like 12?

Thanks for any help.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:44:27 pm

I would be tempted to go with 12 as you state it is older kit. ;) :D

ccm001

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:41:59 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I would be tempted to go with 12 as you state it is older kit. ;) :D

Thanks for the response. I'll give 12 a go!

Finston Pickle

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:25:52 pm

I had some display issues some time ago that I resolved and which might give you some pointers to things to try.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13594

This was on an older Toshiba laptop ( 5 or 6 years old now, I guess) running Zorin 9.

I hope that this helps.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:33:35 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:I had some display issues some time ago that I resolved and which might give you some pointers to things to try.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13594

This was on an older Toshiba laptop ( 5 or 6 years old now, I guess) running Zorin 9.

I hope that this helps.

Hi Finston, the user was trying 15 Core I think - even if Lite I would advise against it as even if it does run it will run exceedingly slow. ;) :D