This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 15 Lite | Black screen w/ only the cursor when login

IhaveNoClue

Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:38:18 am

Hi! I've installed Zorin 15 Lite on my laptop yesterday.

Everything work just fine until this morning. Before logged in I could still saw my wallpaper and the UI, but after that, everything went black, only the notification prompting that I've just connected to Wifi and the cursor showed up.

I could still moved the cursor, but pressing <Super> + T did not open the Terminal, it even shown a fail to launch prompt. I pressed the shortcut key to open the display manager and it still recognized my laptop screen.

Reboot didn't fix anything, so I tried to do a live boot from the USB, and it worked normally.

My laptop is the Dell XPS 14 L421X. CPU: Intel i7 3537U, 4GB of RAM, NVIDIA GT 630M, the /root is on an SSD.

zabadabadoo

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25:18 am

Are you saying you have now fixed it, or that it only works from USB live boot?
As you are using Lite, you should get help from @Aravisian.

Aravisian

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:37:36 pm

This looks like a duplicate thread.

IhaveNoClue

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:16:53 pm

Hi! I've fixed it, or rather I haven't encountered the bug since my second time of installing the OS.

I did the set up a little different this time however:

- I did not change the graphic card driver to the Nvidia one.
- I did not add or remove any launcher in the panel.
- I did not add my own wallpaper.
- I did not change the size of the panel, the icon on the panel, the mouse cursor, the shortcut on the desktop, and the font of the shortcut's title.

Aravisian

Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:17:13 pm

IhaveNoClue wrote:Hi! I've fixed it, or rather I haven't encountered the bug since my second time of installing the OS.

I did the set up a little different this time however:

- I did not change the graphic card driver to the Nvidia one.
- I did not add or remove any launcher in the panel.
- I did not add my own wallpaper.
- I did not change the size of the panel, the icon on the panel, the mouse cursor, the shortcut on the desktop, and the font of the shortcut's title.

Nvidia, these days, seems best avoided.
The rest- that sounds no fun at all, though. :D