This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 15.2 Lite | Srceen freeze after I close laptop lid

IhaveNoClue

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:39:12 am

My laptop's screen just froze after I closed the laptop lid. The mouse still moving like normal, but everything else on the screen just froze, eventhough the app and the OS still work. It happen to all the options when closing the laptop lid (log out, sleep, turn off the screen). Reboot and it work normal again though.

My laptop is the Dell XPS 14 L421X. Spec: Intel i7 3537U, Nvidia GT 820M (using the X.Org X driver), 4GB of RAM, 256GB SSD.

Aravisian

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:06:19 am

Can you please navigate to your app menu> Settings> Power manager and set all options to "Never".
In terminal, please enter
Code:
xset dpms 0 0 0 && xset s noblank  && xset s off

Or try
Code:
xset s 0 0

IhaveNoClue

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:11:27 am

Aravisian wrote:Can you please navigate to your app menu> Settings> Power manager and set all options to "Never".
Code:

Or try
Code:
xset s 0 0

I've done what you have said but it still happen.

Aravisian

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:15:17 am

IhaveNoClue wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Can you please navigate to your app menu> Settings> Power manager and set all options to "Never".
Code:

Or try
Code:
xset s 0 0

I've done what you have said but it still happen.

Are you using a Trackpad or USB mouse?

IhaveNoClue

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:33:18 am

Aravisian wrote:Are you using a Trackpad or USB mouse?

Trackpad

Aravisian

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:51:40 am

IhaveNoClue wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Are you using a Trackpad or USB mouse?

Trackpad

I ask because sometimes, disabling the trackpad helps.
Well, let's try your drivers. If you are using the default, I'd try doing an update or reinstall with
Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg

Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg-server

Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg-input-all

Code:
sudo reboot

IhaveNoClue

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:06:09 am

Aravisian wrote:I ask because sometimes, disabling the trackpad helps.
Well, let's try your drivers. If you are using the default, I'd try doing an update or reinstall with
Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg

Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg-server

Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg-input-all

Code:
sudo reboot

Well I disable the trackpad and switch to a mouse but it still happen.

For the command:
- install xorg prompt that the newest version is already installed
- install xorg-server prompt that it could not locate the package
- install xorg-input-all also prompt that it could not locate the package

After reboot the bug still happen.

Aravisian

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:55:34 am

Under Software and Updates, can you ensure you are connecting to "Main Server?"
You might try with dependencies:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y xserver-xorg-input-all

IhaveNoClue

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:30:28 am

Aravisian wrote:Under Software and Updates, can you ensure you are connecting to "Main Server?"
Code:

So my laptop connected to a server in Vietnam (where I'm currently at). I changed it to the Main Server, re run the command, but it still could not locate the package.

Then I tried you dependencies command:

- xserver-xorg-input-all work.
- xserver-xorg required me to install xserver-xorg-core, so I did it and both commands work.

After that I rebooted the machine. And it still not work :(

Aravisian

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:41:29 am

IhaveNoClue wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Under Software and Updates, can you ensure you are connecting to "Main Server?"
Code:

So my laptop connected to a server in Vietnam (where I'm currently at). I changed it to the Main Server, re run the command, but it still could not locate the package.

Then I tried you dependencies command:

- xserver-xorg-input-all work.
- xserver-xorg required me to install xserver-xorg-core, so I did it and both commands work.

After that I rebooted the machine. And it still not work :(

That is very odd. The commands all work when I test them. Let me try looking into this more when I have had more rest. It is almost 2am here and my brain is not cooperating with me.

IhaveNoClue

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:48:39 am

OK so I've found out something. Since I set my laptop at "Log out" when close the lid. I firgured what happen if I just type in my password and hit Enter. And to my surprise, the screen when back to normal!

So I thing what happened was the laptop just "captured" the screen right at the moment the lid is closed, and when I reopen it the screen didn't get refreshed, like an after image. The act of login force the laptop (or the OS) to refresh the screen and it when back to function normally.

Still, why it behaved like that is beyond my knowlegde.

IhaveNoClue

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:50:32 am

Aravisian wrote:That is very odd. The commands all work when I test them. Let me try looking into this more when I have had more rest. It is almost 2am here and my brain is not cooperating with me.

Eventhough the problem is not technically solved, still I thank you very much for the help.

Aravisian

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:39:51 pm

IhaveNoClue wrote:OK so I've found out something. Since I set my laptop at "Log out" when close the lid. I firgured what happen if I just type in my password and hit Enter. And to my surprise, the screen when back to normal!

So I thing what happened was the laptop just "captured" the screen right at the moment the lid is closed, and when I reopen it the screen didn't get refreshed, like an after image. The act of login force the laptop (or the OS) to refresh the screen and it when back to function normally.

Still, why it behaved like that is beyond my knowlegde.

Are you able to replicate this effect- does it happen each time, or only intermittently?

IhaveNoClue

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:38:06 am

Aravisian wrote:Are you able to replicate this effect- does it happen each time, or only intermittently?

Yes I can, multiple times. I'm even report this bug to the Zorin dev team, and found another person who experiences the exact same bug as me.