This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(Solved) How to get the updater to work automaticaly?

pcfan5

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:44:30 am

I am in zorin lite 15.1 and since for ever the updater doesn't notify me there are updates. I mute the "bell" where notifications are shown, however this has nothing to do with the "new updates" .. what should I check.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10:41 am

You could try the server solution but I would advise you backup your system before messing with it:

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide ... dates.html

pcfan5

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:23:39 pm

This is too risky to try at this moment for me. However it is not what I need. I don't need to do automatics unattended updates, I just need the software updater notificator (the orange icon with arrows back and forward ) to warn me there are new updates. I forgot to say that I have checked at "start-up programs " update-notifier. Is this problem a problem in my computer or a general error.?

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:35:56 pm

I'll let Aravisian field this one pcfan5 as he is our Lite expert. ;) :D

Aravisian

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:52:58 am

When you open Software & Updates and open the second tab over, "Other software" what is checked off or checked on?
I wish I WAS the expert on Lite..

pcfan5

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:06:05 pm

Hi , thank you for your reply, I can get back to you now, because I din't get the notification also I have to take the Zorin computer.
I will paste here pictures of what you ask , I didn't modify anything from "others" since installation.
The pictures are in spanish, but you will be able to get a general glance... Should I search for any specific item to be checked or unchecked ??

Captura de pantalla_2020-04-10_18-53-57.png

Captura de pantalla_2020-04-10_18-54-44.png

Aravisian

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:17:09 am

Everything in your screenshots look normal and correct.
While viewing the first screenshot, I tried to scroll down... :|

Do you have "xfce4-notifyd" installed and enabled?
https://launchpad.net/%7Ezorinos/+archi ... 5&start=75

pcfan5

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:16:19 am

jajaja ; ) I wish I could paste all in one image ;)
I have installed xfce4-notifyd , just in case I installed it again , I don't know how to enable it.
The link you send me is for an unatended update, I think. I don't understand it quite. well.
Thanks!

Aravisian

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:46:37 am

pcfan5 wrote:jajaja ; ) I wish I could paste all in one image ;)
I have installed xfce4-notifyd , just in case I installed it again , I don't know how to enable it.
The link you send me is for an unatended update, I think. I don't understand it quite. well.
Thanks!

The link is for the stable Zorin OS packages. xfce4-notifyd is listed. Using that repository, you can install from terminal.
However, you said you installed again (Which would enable it).
I don't know of a way of testing it without waiting for it to either work or not work...

pcfan5

Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:00:30 am

Oh I see, I am sorry I didn't understood much before. Maybe it is late and I am not thinking right, or probably because I am not and advanced user. It is the first time I entered that official repository. I will save it in my favouites. Thank you very much!!!!

Aravisian

Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:38:06 am

pcfan5 wrote:Maybe it is late and I am not thinking right,

This is me most of the time, lately. My apologies on being somewhat absent and unhelpful on the forum, these days.

pcfan5

Tue May 26, 2020 1:58:12 pm

Problem seemed to be partially solved ; ) , updater icon shows up most of the times when updates are available. Thank you ! ;)