This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Annoying password pop-up for certain web-pages

madvinegar

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:33:24 am

Just wanted to ask this question to see if someone else is facing the same "problem".

I use chrome.
For certain webpages (i.e. forums) where a password and nickname is required, if I am asked at the top of the page whether to save the password or not, and I chose to save it, each time after re-opening the browser and re-visiting this webpage, I get a password popup asking for my password. I insert my details in the pop-up but I still have to enter my details in the forum's password area.

The peculiar thing is that it does not happen for all the web pages. i.e. in facebook, my nick and pass are saved without any problem and I don't need to re-enter them each time I visit facebook. For other web-pages (i.e. this forum :D ) I get this annoying pop-up each time I visit it.

I tried the options of this pop-up (i.e. chose to auto-login etc) but I still get it.

I found out that for this forum (and for every page I get this popup if I chose to save the pass and nick), a new entry is formed in keyring named "default".

So, in order to get rid of this pop-up I go to the keyring and I delete this entry. The popup stops, but ofcourse my nick and pass are not saved and I have to type them in each time I visit the web page (and I also get the question of chrome whether to save the details or not - which I ignore).

Is there something that can be done to actually save the nick and pass but not get this annoying pop-up? (like in facebook).

Thanks a milion in advance for your assistance. :D

Deadly Ernest

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:25:40 am

G'day,

I'm not familiar with Chrome, but MOST browsers have a functionality to save passwords as part of the browser software, do you have this functionality in Chrome and is it turned on? If so, then just turn off keyring.

The other option is to give the keyring entry a name that matches the URL when you save it. Not sure how you'd do this. Next time this happens, just see if there is a spot you can name the entry to keyring.

I use Fire Fox and have the passwords saved in Fire Fox and Keyring disabled.

Regards,

Ernest

madvinegar

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30:47 am

Thanx for your reply.

How do you disable keyring?

And if I disable keyring, what happens to the login password saving? I see in keyring an entry called "login" which I assume is for autosaving the password when I log-in.

As I said, this happens only in certain pages. In facebook and in some other forums I don't have this problem. The details are autosaved so this means that this feature in enabled in chrome.

Wolfman

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:33:27 pm

Hi chaps,

firstly I would never save passwords in a browser as you never know if someone can hack your browser; despite the assurances given by the makers of web browsers!!.

Gnome Keyring uses 2 types of ways to store a password, 1 is to save a password for use all the time, the 2nd is a session keyring which only saves the password for the current session, the session keyring does not store the password permanently!!.

If you don't want to use Gnome Keyring, you can remove it via Synaptic!!.

For reference see here:

http://developer.gnome.org/gnome-keyring/unstable/

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring

Regards Wolfman :D

Deadly Ernest

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:00:49 am

madvinegar wrote:Thanx for your reply.

How do you disable keyring?

And if I disable keyring, what happens to the login password saving? I see in keyring an entry called "login" which I assume is for autosaving the password when I log-in.

As I said, this happens only in certain pages. In facebook and in some other forums I don't have this problem. The details are autosaved so this means that this feature in enabled in chrome.

G'day,

I use the simple process to disable Keyring, and a few other start up applications - I don't allow them to start at boot up. In the Software Centre there is a program called Start Up Manager, I install this and then use it to decide what applications I wish the system to load at Start up, Keyring is one of those I uncheck, if it's unchecked it doesn't run it and thus it's not working. Like a few others, I don't remove them as I'm not sure what that does to the rest of the system and I know removal of some apps can cause unintended consequences, so I just don't run them.

Others I disable in this way are the Gnome Start up Sound, Evolution Alarm Notify, all the Bluetooth stuff (I have no Bluetooth), Personal File Sharing, Remote Desktop, Ubuntu One, Secret Storage, SSH Key Agent - all the things I don't actually use. Why have them start if I don't use them?

As to passwords in the browser, I save a lot in there, but the critical ones that I need and use for important stuff, like banking, do NOT go in the browser. If someone wants to hack my system to get my password to this and a few other forums, I'm NOT worried about it, they are NOT MISSION CRITICAL for ME. The mission critical stuff is not saved in the browser at all.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Ernest

PS Another program I use to limit what starts at boot up is Boot up Manager

madvinegar

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:10:46 pm

Just replying to my question, I found a way to get rid of this annoying keyring pop-up without removing or uninstalling keyring.

When I insert my nick and pass in a website that I visit for the first time, I get a message from the browser (i.e. chrome) to save or not the details. I click on "save" and then this keyring pop-up shows. In this pop-up I just press "OK" without completing or confirming any password. I get a message saying something like if i am sure I want to do this because there is danger of my passwords being exposed etc etc, I click again "OK" and that's it.

The nick and pass are saved in the web page and I don't get this annoying pop-up everytime I visit this page after a reboot or re-opening the browser.

Please swarfendor be kind enough to mark this thread as solved! :D