This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Resetting the screen resolution

grimtraveller

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:58:02 pm

Hi folks,
I'm a new member and I'm also new to Linux. I'm not particularly computer savvy when it comes to all the internal workings and the jargon that goes with it. Please, any replies, questions or info, imagine you're talking to a 9 year old that knows nothing about computers. I won't be offended !
I recently installed Zorin OS 15 Lite and I'm having a really difficult time resetting my screen resolution. It is stuck at 640x480 and I want to get it to 1024x768. I've been trying for weeks and no matter what I do, nothing works. I've tried the xrandr method, no joy. I've tried the resetting in GRUB, no joy. I've installed Nvidia again, nothing. I've gone into the settings editor and I find there that where there are resolution settings, I can change them and "save" them but it makes no difference.
Originally, I was going for a resolution of 1280x1024 and after nothing happening on a few occasions, on just one occasion the screen defaulted to 1024x768 {which is acceptable to me} and I thought "at last !" but when I rebooted the computer, it was back to 640x480 and has never left there, despite me resetting in the settings and in the terminal. The terminal continually tells me that 640x480 is the minimum and maximum setting {which I know is not true} and also keeps telling me that the resolutions I want aren't found.
It's really frustrating :? because certain pages cannot be seen in their fullness because they are literally off the screen and even zooming down makes no difference. Part of the page is still off the screen and of course the lettering is so small that it can't be read !
I've been trying to reset the resolution for weeks now. None of the YouTube videos I've found have provided solutions even though I've followed them to the letter.
An interesting thing did happen last week. I ran Linux Mint 19.1 just to see if the resolution was still locked in at 640x480 and it was actually 1024x768 so I installed it and it defaulted to 640x480, which I thought was odd. I've had this monitor for 16 years and have never had this problem before. I really want to give a Linux distro a go and Zorin lite seems like a good way to begin my journey.
Anyway, my desktop is an Aspire 1610 {with 4GB RAM} and my monitor is a e-yama 17JN1-S, if that makes any difference.
Can someone please help me and in simple language go through point by point what I need to do to change the screen resolution ?
Thanks folks,
grimtraveller.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 01, 2020 8:41:08 pm

HI, What is the graphics chip inside the Acer please? ;) :D

Aravisian

Fri May 01, 2020 9:16:27 pm

Also, have you tried doing a complete reinstallation of Xorg?

Swarfendor437

Fri May 01, 2020 9:42:48 pm

My other thought was for you to try Zorin 12.4 Lite? ;) :D

grimtraveller

Sun May 03, 2020 10:08:37 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:HI, What is the graphics chip inside the Acer please?
As far as I can determine, it's a SIS 968 {it carries the numbers PSD 2108 and 0739 AA after, if this is of any use}.

grimtraveller

Sun May 03, 2020 10:15:13 pm

Aravisian wrote:Also, have you tried doing a complete reinstallation of Xorg?
I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to the internal workings of the computer and the associated jargon. If you think it may do some good, I'm willing to give it a go if someone can talk me through the steps.

grimtraveller

Sun May 03, 2020 10:18:02 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:My other thought was for you to try Zorin 12.4 Lite?
I wouldn't mind trying that. However, before I do, is there anything about 15 Lite that renders 12.4 Lite almost obsolete ? Or to put it another way, what is the major difference between the two ?

Swarfendor437

Mon May 04, 2020 4:32:41 pm

You've identified the issue - SIS chips are sadly NOT compatible with Linux - never have been, never will. Your only option is to consider a whacky external video option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3D3cZmqn0

grimtraveller

Mon May 04, 2020 6:29:03 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You've identified the issue - SIS chips are sadly NOT compatible with Linux - never have been, never will
There was another forum thread in which I read you saying this to someone. I was kind of confused though, because I did get the correct screen res a couple of weeks ago. It only went back to 640x480 when I rebooted. I'm ignorant about these things; can you explain why it might have gone to 1024x768 without warning ? And whatever the explanation, does this mean that I'll find the same thing with every Linux distro ? For example, would Zorin 12.4 Lite net the same result or even one of the non~lite versions ?

Aravisian

Mon May 04, 2020 10:30:33 pm

Sadly, Swarfendor is correct. Your best option is an xorg patch and driver:
Driver:
https://github.com/rasdark/xf86-video-sis671
You can click "Clone or Download" and save it in your downloads folder.

Here is a bash script you can try:

https://gist.github.com/fevangelou/46a2 ... 52f18eac73

Save the script in your Downloads folder. Right click it, then select Properties. Open the Permissions tab and checkmark "Run as executable"

Now double click the script to run it.
Once completed successfully, reboot.

If the above does not work, we can try making a Manual Installation procedure for you.

grimtraveller

Thu May 07, 2020 6:47:16 pm

Aravisian wrote:Sadly, Swarfendor is correct. Your best option is an xorg patch and driver:
Driver:
https://github.com/rasdark/xf86-video-sis671
You can click "Clone or Download" and save it in your downloads folder.

Here is a bash script you can try:

https://gist.github.com/fevangelou/46a2 ... 52f18eac73

Save the script in your Downloads folder. Right click it, then select Properties. Open the Permissions tab and checkmark "Run as executable"

Now double click the script to run it.
Once completed successfully, reboot.

If the above does not work, we can try making a Manual Installation procedure for you.
Tried it and nothing changed. Whether I did it correctly is another matter. I have them in my downloads folder but when I double click the script and run it in the terminal I get lots of print but no change.
What's the manual installation procedure ? Can you run through it for me stage by stage in really simple language ?
Thanks.

Aravisian

Fri May 08, 2020 12:38:02 am

grimtraveller wrote:If the above does not work, we can try making a Manual Installation procedure for you.
Tried it and nothing changed. Whether I did it correctly is another matter. I have them in my downloads folder but when I double click the script and run it in the terminal I get lots of print but no change.
What's the manual installation procedure ? Can you run through it for me stage by stage in really simple language ?
Thanks.[/quote]
Grim, please copy and paste each line into an open terminal:
Code:
sudo -i

enter your password, then copy paste in:
Code:
cd ~/

Code:
wget --no-check-certificate https://gist.githubusercontent.com/fevangelou/46a2885233c45011ad5c8752f18eac73/raw/79b407db60589d98e78cd131b56a1652756fb7b2/install_sis_graphics_on_linux.sh

Code:
chmod +x install_sis_graphics_on_linux.sh

Code:
./install_sis_graphics_on_linux.sh

At this point, the terminal will go for a Long Time of running script. Keep an eye for any STOPS, where it ceases to scroll scripting and shows an ERROR. If you see none, when it is complete, you should see:
Code:
  *** The installation for SiS graphics drivers is now complete ***

=== --------------------------------------------------------- ===
  ===               PLEASE REBOOT YOUR SYSTEM NOW               ===
  === --------------------------------------------------------- ===

grimtraveller

Sat May 09, 2020 1:19:05 am

I've done it as you said and the terminal tells me that it's installed. I've rebooted the computer and nothing has changed. What do I do from here ?

Aravisian

Sat May 09, 2020 2:11:27 am

grimtraveller wrote:I've done it as you said and the terminal tells me that it's installed. I've rebooted the computer and nothing has changed. What do I do from here ?

Let me look into it further... But we may be back to this:
Swarfendor437 wrote:You've identified the issue - SIS chips are sadly NOT compatible with Linux - never have been, never will. Your only option is to consider a whacky external video option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3D3cZmqn0

grimtraveller

Mon May 11, 2020 9:19:47 pm

Aravisian wrote:Let me look into it further... But we may be back to this:
Swarfendor437 wrote:You've identified the issue - SIS chips are sadly NOT compatible with Linux - never have been, never will.
Is it not possible to buy a cheap graphics card that I can just slot in ? Or am I showing my ignorance ? :? :lol:

Swarfendor437

Tue May 12, 2020 2:43:43 pm

Sadly no! That is why I prefer to use a desktop (built the majority I have over the years). It is easier (and cheaper) to upgrade, but I respect the fact that you may need mobile platform for whatever reason is personal to you. ;) :D

grimtraveller

Thu May 14, 2020 12:28:24 am

My computer is actually a desktop.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 14, 2020 7:49:01 pm

Then it's time to upgrade the graphics - If this is onboard graphics then I would advise you purchase an nvidia graphics card and would recommend a 1030 to 'future proof' as much as possible in respect of kernel updates which is not in Zorin's control. ;) :D

grimtraveller

Mon May 18, 2020 1:18:57 am

Just as a point of interest, do you have any ideas on why I managed to get the screen resolution to change once ? I went into the settings editor and under "Displays" reset the resolution {it said the type was "String", whatever that means} to 1280x1024. Nothing happened initially but after a few minutes the screen resolution defaulted to 1024x768 which is actually what I've been used to for the last 16 years. It made such a difference ~ suddenly, I could see Audacity properly and Libre Office. I thought I'd cracked it and thought a reboot would confirm it but once I rebooted it just went back to 640x480 and it hasn't left there since.
Any ideas and is there anything I could possibly do within the settings editor that you know of ?

Swarfendor437

Mon May 18, 2020 12:31:49 pm

You could try installing xrandr and see if you can make things stick that way:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr