This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Run Zorin from USB without lossing work by restarting

wael1012

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:44:23 pm

Hello,

I was able to run Zorin.iso using Unetbootin from USB memory.

The problem is that it do not save my work when i restart the computer.

for example:
if i installed a program on the OS, i will not find it installed after restarting
IS THERE A WAY TO FIX THIS?

there is on desktop "install Zorin" icon, but im not sure if i should use it.

Thanks in advance

wael1012

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:32:44 pm

Thank you very much for replying :)

i just finished installing zorin by MultiSystem which i found it better than unetbootin, but it didnt solve the issue.

i just lose everything by restarting.

but u mentioned (It gives the option for 'persistence' ) does that means that there is a "Save" button before shutting down?

madvinegar

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:46:32 pm

Why don't you just install zorin in parallel with your existing system?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:37:59 pm

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Here is a how to :D

Regards Wolfman :D

wael1012

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:23:13 pm

all these kind of programs and ways and more ive been trying during those few days end up with having a partion so i can save files there, but non of them provied with ability to install program and keep this program installed.

i will try to install zorin as full installation in an 8 GB flash memory as soon as i get one, i think that it cant be done by using .ISO file.

does ultimate version do that? or just gives a Persistence (partition).

@madvinegar
the reason why i wanna have full OS on Flash memory is that most of us doesnt carry there laptops or PCs were ever we go, but many are carrying there Flash memory with there key holder. so having a full OS on Flash memory will allow us to use desired installed programs when needed on any computer arrownd.

wunderbra

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11:51 am

it is very easy to install Zorin on a USB stick with persistence, that will save your changes and programs installed. You must use the latest version of Unetbootin and then specify the size of the persistence in MB. Try http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetboo ... t/download

I always use the .iso that I have previously downloaded to my hard drive, so maybe letting Unetbootin retrieve it might be different.
To be sure, just download the .iso first to your hard drive, then in Unetbootin, select the iso. It will open a file manager and from there you select the iso you want to use.