This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Ultimate 15.2 crashing lots

ryoukii

Fri May 01, 2020 7:19:24 pm

I'm having issues with Zorin OS Ultimate where by the system will freeze/crash. I installed the OS last Friday and I have had four system crashes since. First one was when using Chrome, second using IntelliJ IDE - this generated a java error log in home

Third when was taking a Screenshot using Screenshot application and fourth was attempting to play a video. The first three crashes I had to manually power down the PC, second was same. Today the PC restarted itself but I lost the work I was working on.

The crash makes the system completely unresponsive but screen stays on, keyboard mouse does nothing. I tried ALT + F2 but nothing works. The system is completely frozen.

Is there any logs I can provide for analysis. I can't find anything in kern.log that matches the time window, is there another log which may provide some detail? Any sort of CPU stress testing I should do? This is a brand new PC.

I am attemping a memtest86 at the moment, its 3/4 pass with no errors as I said it's a brand new PC.

Windows 10 runs without issue.

Support are useless

Processor: Model: Intel® Core™ i7-7600U
Graphics: Model: Intel® HD Graphics 620

Thanks,

Aravisian

Fri May 01, 2020 9:09:04 pm

Have you checked the /var/crash folder?

Also:
I do not think the computer specs are the cause of crashing. And I just saw another thread mention that their machine is freezing/crashing. In the meantime, I also noticed that Zorin Updates have gone through.
The updates included the Latest Kernel.

I might suggest rolling back the kernel to the previous working version and see if that is the cause.

ryoukii

Fri May 01, 2020 11:29:13 pm

When were these updates? I've been having crashes since I installed on the 24th April so if it was using an older kernel then it was also crashing at that point. It crashes at least once a day if not twice. Memtest86 ran for 12 hours no issues.

I have not checked this folder but I will do once I get back on to the machine tomorrow.

Aravisian

Fri May 01, 2020 11:52:28 pm

ryoukii wrote:When were these updates? I've been having crashes since I installed on the 24th April so if it was using an older kernel then it was also crashing at that point. It crashes at least once a day if not twice. Memtest86 ran for 12 hours no issues.

I have not checked this folder but I will do once I get back on to the machine tomorrow.

Yes, please check and update here. You can also use the uname command to find your current Kernel Version
Code:
uname -r

ryoukii

Sat May 02, 2020 9:32:01 am

There's nothing in /var/crash but when the system crashes its so unresponsive i wouldn't suspect it would be able to write to a log file under the hood.

My kernel is 5.3.0-51-generic

ryoukii

Sat May 02, 2020 4:56:24 pm

Crashed again just there. Tried various combinations of Alt+SysRq but system is completely unresponsive.

This is the last out of var/log/kern.log when it crashed, doesn't appear to be any errors

May 2 17:36:36 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 7.144142] r8169 0000:01:00.0 enp1s0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
May 2 17:36:36 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 7.144151] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp1s0: link becomes ready
May 2 17:36:36 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 7.269136] vboxdrv: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
May 2 17:36:36 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 7.279082] vboxdrv: Found 4 processor cores
May 2 17:36:36 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 7.298945] vboxdrv: TSC mode is Invariant, tentative frequency 2904001693 Hz
May 2 17:36:36 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 7.298946] vboxdrv: Successfully loaded version 5.2.34_Ubuntu (interface 0x00290001)
May 2 17:36:36 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 7.305907] VBoxNetFlt: Successfully started.
May 2 17:36:36 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 7.312472] VBoxNetAdp: Successfully started.
May 2 17:36:36 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 7.321856] VBoxPciLinuxInit
May 2 17:36:36 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 7.329303] vboxpci: IOMMU not found (not registered)
May 2 17:37:39 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 70.637224] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
May 2 17:37:39 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 70.637231] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
May 2 17:37:39 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 70.637236] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
May 2 17:37:40 geoff-zorin kernel: [ 71.701446] rfkill: input handler disabled

Output of conky of time of crash https://imgur.com/a/SHL7UJW - definitely no memory or CPU Load issues. Getting sick of this, reminds me of using Windows Vista. Think i'll format the partition.
My ethernet connection also keeps cutting out sporadically but fine on Windows.

Aravisian

Sat May 02, 2020 6:44:55 pm

I would still recommend trying a rollback on the kernel, given your log and report.
In terminal you can enter
Code:
sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic

then,
Code:
sudo update-grub

Reboot
Code:
sudo reboot

When you start the boot up, hold down the left shift key to get into the recovery menu and advanced options.

Select the 4.15 kernel to boot.

Please update whether this halts the crashing and freezing and if it does, we can move to the next step.

ryoukii

Sat May 02, 2020 7:05:02 pm

Thanks for your reply. You want me to boot into this old kernel every day and see if it crashes? It currently crashes at least once a day so it should be easy to tell if it's made a difference.

Aravisian

Sat May 02, 2020 10:55:24 pm

ryoukii wrote:Thanks for your reply. You want me to boot into this old kernel every day and see if it crashes? It currently crashes at least once a day so it should be easy to tell if it's made a difference.

It will continue to boot into the older kernel once you set it up until you change it again.

ryoukii

Sat May 02, 2020 11:13:00 pm

I booted into 4.15 kernel earlier so it should continue to boot into this without going "Advanced options" and selecting 4.15 on every boot?

Aravisian

Sat May 02, 2020 11:22:58 pm

ryoukii wrote:I booted into 4.15 kernel earlier so it should continue to boot into this without going "Advanced options" and selecting 4.15 on every boot?

Yes, that is correct.
If you experience no crashing, then we may have found our culprit. You could continue to use the 4.15.0-78 kernel, as it is quite solid.
But there may be peripheral trade-offs, too that we don't know about yet. Because there may be some things that work better with a newer kernel.
So, if this helps resolve the crashing without any side effects, you may want to remove the 5.3.0-51 kernel and stick with 4.15.0-78 for the time being.
But if you do have side effects, we may want to try bumping upwards in kernels til you find one where everything works. For example, the 5.0.0 kernel.

ryoukii

Sun May 03, 2020 11:07:17 am

It booted into 5.3.0-51-generic again by default

ryoukii

Sun May 03, 2020 12:15:02 pm

Still issues with ethernet connection dropping out on this kernel, no crash yet but i'm only booted in less than an hour.

Also was chatting with the guys in the Zorin facebook group, few people are having similar issues, one said he updated to 5.6.7 and no crashes so far in 3 days.

Aravisian

Sun May 03, 2020 1:19:26 pm

ryoukii wrote:It booted into 5.3.0-51-generic again by default

..erm...
ryoukii wrote:Still issues with ethernet connection dropping out on this kernel, no crash yet but i'm only booted in less than an hour.

Can you run
Code:
lspci

in terminal and check your net card? Atheros or Realtek or...

ryoukii wrote:Also was chatting with the guys in the Zorin facebook group, few people are having similar issues, one said he updated to 5.6.7 and no crashes so far in 3 days.

That may also do it. Worth a shot- but keep in mind that the newest kernel is also not fully tested in case using it raises a new issue.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 03, 2020 2:58:31 pm

A side comment. I noticed that my biggest problem when installing a different Linux distribution on other machines were ones that had Intel processors in them - no such issues with AMD Processors, both old and modern! ;) :D

ryoukii

Sun May 03, 2020 7:33:54 pm

Aravisian wrote:Can you run
Code:
lspci

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 07)

Aravisian

Sun May 03, 2020 9:16:20 pm

ryoukii wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Can you run
Code:
lspci

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 07)

Mine is atheros and I had to patch it. Sadly, Realtek also requires a patch.
If you try the Newest Kernel (Untested by Zorin team at this time) and it resolves both issues- Great. If it resolves crashing, but not net cutting out, please update the thread here so we can walk through a patch on realtek controller.

ryoukii

Sun May 03, 2020 9:38:54 pm

No crashes on 4.13 so far but I haven't been using it a whole lot. I'd probably prefer to stay on a supported kernel. Having to go into advanced options every time on boot isn't ideal but I guess when I find a kernel version i'm happy with I can change my grub to boot that version by default?

Is this the patch you are talking about? https://github.com/fintecheando/r8168

All the patches seem to be for when ethernet doesn't work at all, mine works just sporadically cut's out.

ryoukii

Sun May 03, 2020 10:23:30 pm

Actually if I edit /etc/default/grub
and set

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

The choice will be saved and next time it will boot into it automatically.

Aravisian

Mon May 04, 2020 1:46:28 am

ryoukii wrote:Actually if I edit /etc/default/grub
and set

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

The choice will be saved and next time it will boot into it automatically.

I had thought the 'update grub" would do it. Thanks for sharing that.
ryoukii wrote:Is this the patch you are talking about? https://github.com/fintecheando/r8168

All the patches seem to be for when ethernet doesn't work at all, mine works just sporadically cut's out.

No, I do not think that one applies to you. And apologies on my word choices: When I said "patch" I meant more like a fix or a solution.
For what we can call a patch:
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new
For what you describe, I would check the suggestions offered here, first:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ep-well-at
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1063679 ... tion-drops

Some say installing the Windows Driver package on Ubuntu works, as well.

ryoukii

Mon May 04, 2020 1:33:40 pm

It just crashed on 4.15 kernel. Losing my patience. Don't know why I paid for ultimate version, support are a joke and it crashes so much.

There's nothing in /var/crash however so maybe it isn't a kernel crash. Maybe it's completely unrelated to the kernel.

Only thing I can think of now is to try upgrade to the newest kernel / install a different distro or just use Window 10 (which has never crashed)

EDIT: update, running 5.6.7-050607-generic now

Swarfendor437

Mon May 04, 2020 4:53:39 pm

Hi, I will PM AZorin with some urgency - remember there are only 2 guys maintaining this OS. Please be just a little bit patient! Thanks. ;) :D

Have just sent PM to AZorin - it could be a few days - it was about 5 days before he was able to respond to my personal circumstance issue that prevented me from being on here. ;) :D

ryoukii

Mon May 04, 2020 5:57:49 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I will PM AZorin with some urgency - remember there are only 2 guys maintaining this OS. Please be just a little bit patient! Thanks. ;) :D

Have just sent PM to AZorin - it could be a few days - it was about 5 days before he was able to respond to my personal circumstance issue that prevented me from being on here. ;) :D

I'm sure he has better things to do than investigate this issue :lol: Doesn't seem like i'm the only one affected though. I just thought support might be a little bit more helpful. Let's see how things go with this new kernel anyways.

ryoukii

Mon May 04, 2020 7:31:46 pm

Update: just crashed on 5.6.7-050607-generic. Back to Windows 10 for me for now.

Aravisian

Mon May 04, 2020 10:39:09 pm

ryoukii wrote:Update: just crashed on 5.6.7-050607-generic. Back to Windows 10 for me for now.

I certainly understand your frustration. Have been around this in circles and each Kernel still is crashing. There may be another cause.

Please remember, most computers are built (Hardware side) with MS Windows in mind, not Linux. There are some hardware pieces that are just incompatible with Linux, too.

If you are willing to help, persisting in resolving your issue may benefit many people.

It is VERY frustrating to have something consistently not work and all offered solutions fail... Especially as days and days go by...

ryoukii

Mon May 04, 2020 10:46:43 pm

I guess i'm just more frustrated because I paid for ultimate, it's the reason i'm trying to stick it out although i'm very curious to see if a standard install of ubuntu or mint would give me the same problems.

There's still no files in /var/crash - I don't even know where else to look, i asked support is there any files I can provide for analysis and they just asked for my PC name...

Aravisian

Tue May 05, 2020 12:17:19 am

ryoukii wrote:I guess i'm just more frustrated because I paid for ultimate

That is a GOOD REASON to be.

You could set up another install of Mint on a separate partition.

I currently have Zorin Lite installed, as my primary, using Cinnamon desktop instead of XFCE.
On another partition, I have Zorin Core (gnome desktop) installed, even though I HATE Gnome, in order to do testing, checking and building/modeling with Gnome applications.

You MAY even try installing Zorin Core on another partition rather than Mint- just to see if it is something included in Ultimate that is causing an issue (Unlikely... but there was ONE case of that happened sometime back and switching to Core solved his issue).

ryoukii

Tue May 05, 2020 10:35:18 pm

I was going through the syslog and kern.log today for yesterdays log and noticed some weird output around the time of the crash yesterday evening (on 5.6.7 kernel)

I then went through journalctl boot log for that particular time period and it appears my GPU crashed

Looks like they are issues with Intel GPU hangs with the linux kernels https://linuxreviews.org/Linux_Kernel_5 ... nt_Kernels

Unfortunately however I did a grep throughout the whole journalctl output and thought I would see more of this output but i didn't. Appears it only happened on 5.6.7 kernel (OR it is happening on older kernels but not outputting)

I only have a record of a crash back in april 27th so when I checked this output there was no real indication and to why it froze, you'll see the "--Reboot--" line this is when I hard rebooted it due to be it being crashed.

So I don't think it's the GPU not sure :cry:

Aravisian

Tue May 05, 2020 10:56:21 pm

ryoukii, as an Ultimate user, you also got a copy of Ultimate Lite.
Would you be willing- and I know it is a bit of work- To install a second partition of Ultimate LITE on the same machine, without making any adjustments other than updating and such- to test if it crashes?

This user:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SolusProject/c ... ernel_54x/
Said that disabling hyperthreading halted the problem for him...

Swarfendor437

Wed May 06, 2020 11:24:39 am

AZorin has been in touch with me to say he responded with a potential fix for you - did it work?

ryoukii

Wed May 06, 2020 11:45:06 am

Aravisian wrote:ryoukii, as an Ultimate user, you also got a copy of Ultimate Lite.
Would you be willing- and I know it is a bit of work- To install a second partition of Ultimate LITE on the same machine, without making any adjustments other than updating and such- to test if it crashes?

This user:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SolusProject/c ... ernel_54x/
Said that disabling hyperthreading halted the problem for him...

I'll see if I have time. I booted into Zorin today and it crashed within 5 minutes, after this crash I rebooted the PC but it seemed to turn on but there was no output via HDMI, tried this a few times and no output. Eventually plugged out the power source and left it for an hour and it started to work again. Bit weary of attempting any more testing looks like all this crashing is beginning to fry my PC.

ryoukii

Wed May 06, 2020 11:45:58 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:AZorin has been in touch with me to say he responded with a potential fix for you - did it work?

Support asked me to turn off secure boot in BIOS and check Zorin for updates, so no.

ryoukii

Thu May 07, 2020 10:12:08 pm

I ended up installing UbuntuDDE (https://ubuntudde.com/) over my Zorin OS 15.2 Ultimate partition.

Will test it out for a few days see if there is any crashing.

Do Zorin provide any refunds for ultimate edition purchases considering i've have an absolute nightmare with mine and i've just completely removed it.

Aravisian

Fri May 08, 2020 12:28:40 am

ryoukii wrote:Do Zorin provide any refunds for ultimate edition purchases considering i've have an absolute nightmare with mine and i've just completely removed it.

I cannot say whether they would or would not... I am not a part of Zorin Team- nor is Swarfendor- we are just mere members on a Discussion Board about Zorin.
What I can say is that my usual interactions with Artyom always consist of him being fair and calm. No matter how bad or how tense things get, he seems utterly unfazed.
I would encourage you to send them a message and detail your experience. They are very busy and it takes a while to get a reply as they go down the list... But when they do- they are very easy to talk to and always pay attention to what you said.

My own opinion is that if you are not using the OS you bought, you could have a refund- it did not work on your machine.

However... I would ask you to consider something. I am confident that your troubles stem from Conflict between hardware built for the latest MS Windows and running Linux on it. Add to this the Linux Kernel, which is out of the preview of all distro developers. This means that you Could Use Your Copy of Zorin on another machine- a different machine - and have it work. It also suggests that Zorin is not at fault- even if they are considerate of your experience enough to offer a refund.
I would be very curious as to whether the Deepin Desktop Ubuntu version you are trying out now, works. Which relates to why I asked you to try Zorin Lite.

I understand, from your point of view, what I just said above is NOT really what you would like to consider. But understanding another persons side is an important tool to resolving differences. Please update us over time, here, on how that works out.
We'll be rooting for you.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 08, 2020 3:57:48 pm

ryoukii wrote:I'm having issues with Zorin OS Ultimate where by the system will freeze/crash. I installed the OS last Friday and I have had four system crashes since. First one was when using Chrome, second using IntelliJ IDE - this generated a java error log in home

Third when was taking a Screenshot using Screenshot application and fourth was attempting to play a video. The first three crashes I had to manually power down the PC, second was same. Today the PC restarted itself but I lost the work I was working on.

The crash makes the system completely unresponsive but screen stays on, keyboard mouse does nothing. I tried ALT + F2 but nothing works. The system is completely frozen.

Is there any logs I can provide for analysis. I can't find anything in kern.log that matches the time window, is there another log which may provide some detail? Any sort of CPU stress testing I should do? This is a brand new PC.

I am attemping a memtest86 at the moment, its 3/4 pass with no errors as I said it's a brand new PC.

Support are useless

Thanks,

Can I ask what version of Chrome you installed and did you install IntilliJ IDE according to this how-to on this thread?:

Can I ask what version of Chrome you installed and did you install In.

Also crashes caused by Applications will be in .tmp not var.log:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1226448 ... 04-crashes

ryoukii

Fri May 08, 2020 6:45:39 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
ryoukii wrote:I'm having issues with Zorin OS Ultimate where by the system will freeze/crash. I installed the OS last Friday and I have had four system crashes since. First one was when using Chrome, second using IntelliJ IDE - this generated a java error log in home

Support are useless

Thanks,

Can I ask what version of Chrome you installed and did you install IntilliJ IDE according to this how-to on this thread?:

It's not application crashes, at all. It's complete system crashes.

ryoukii

Fri May 08, 2020 6:55:51 pm

Aravisian wrote:
ryoukii wrote:Do Zorin provide any refunds for ultimate edition purchases considering i've have an absolute nightmare with mine and i've just completely removed it.

I cannot say whether they would or would not... I am not a part of Zorin Team- nor is Swarfendor- we are just mere members on a Discussion Board about Zorin.
What I can say is that my usual interactions with Artyom always consist of him being fair and calm. No matter how bad or how tense things get, he seems utterly unfazed.
I would encourage you to send them a message and detail your experience. They are very busy and it takes a while to get a reply as they go down the list... But when they do- they are very easy to talk to and always pay attention to what you said.

My own opinion is that if you are not using the OS you bought, you could have a refund- it did not work on your machine.

However... I would ask you to consider something. I am confident that your troubles stem from Conflict between hardware built for the latest MS Windows and running Linux on it. Add to this the Linux Kernel, which is out of the preview of all distro developers. This means that you Could Use Your Copy of Zorin on another machine- a different machine - and have it work. It also suggests that Zorin is not at fault- even if they are considerate of your experience enough to offer a refund.
I would be very curious as to whether the Deepin Desktop Ubuntu version you are trying out now, works. Which relates to why I asked you to try Zorin Lite.

I understand, from your point of view, what I just said above is NOT really what you would like to consider. But understanding another persons side is an important tool to resolving differences. Please update us over time, here, on how that works out.
We'll be rooting for you.

A lot of people I talk to about this issue always say they had same issues with Zorin but not Ubuntu/Mint which suggests something with Zorin itself if Zorin is built upon Ubuntu. I thought support would be a bit better in a technical sense but they just sent me some copy pasted non technical answers. Anyways, thanks i'll see how things go with UbuntuDDE

Swarfendor437

Fri May 08, 2020 8:32:21 pm

ryoukii wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:

Support are useless

Thanks,

It's not application crashes, at all. It's complete system crashes.

I know you had complete system crashes - on askubuntu, the link I gave you had a system crash but it was Steam that caused it. I'm running a AMD Ryzen rig and not suffered any crashes. What I have noticed is that I have had issues installing other Linux distro on Intel machines and there was one particular series of i7 processors that just would not run with LInux - Intel has always been coined Wintel - I wonder why? ;) :D

ryoukii

Fri May 08, 2020 8:46:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
I know you had complete system crashes - on askubuntu, the link I gave you had a system crash but it was Steam that caused it. I'm running a AMD Ryzen rig and not suffered any crashes. What I have noticed is that I have had issues installing other Linux distro on Intel machines and there was one particular series of i7 processors that just would not run with LInux - Intel has always been coined Wintel - I wonder why? ;) :D

System would crash without even opening any applications, it was a test I ran. No crashes so far on UbuntuDDE, runs perfect, i installed Mint on a separate partition as well and no issues but only running this for 11 hours so far. Seems more like a Zorin issue than anything else. Anywhere I ask about similar issues always people saying they had similar issues on Zorin. Crashing seems like a common Zorin issue.

Swarfendor437

Sat May 09, 2020 8:31:17 pm

As Aravisian and myself pointed out that Hardware was designed primarily for Windows not Linux. And don't forget that Zorin is not as big as Ubuntu or Mint in respect of developers etc. ;) :D

ryoukii

Sun May 10, 2020 1:26:10 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:As Aravisian and myself pointed out that Hardware was designed primarily for Windows not Linux. And don't forget that Zorin is not as big as Ubuntu or Mint in respect of developers etc. ;) :D

Yet Linux specific machine manufacturers that make machines designed for Linux use Intel components. UbuntuDDE is a smaller development group than Zorin I would suspect. No issues on UbuntuDDE nor Mint so far. I'm going to remove Mint as it was just a test and use UbuntuDDE as my daily driver. Anyway as I said seems like common Zorin issue.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 10, 2020 1:32:09 pm

ryoukii wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:As Aravisian and myself pointed out that Hardware was designed primarily for Windows not Linux. And don't forget that Zorin is not as big as Ubuntu or Mint in respect of developers etc. ;) :D

Yet Linux specific machine manufacturers that make machines designed for Linux use Intel components. UbuntuDDE is a smaller development group than Zorin I would suspect. No issues on UbuntuDDE nor Mint so far. I'm going to remove Mint as it was just a test and use UbuntuDDE as my daily driver. Anyway as I said seems like common Zorin issue.

True: https://zorinos.com/computers/

ryoukii

Sun May 10, 2020 4:44:22 pm

I spoke too soon, UbuntuDDE just crashed for the first time!

Definitely seems less prevalent on UbuntuDDE and it crashed when I was doing quite heavy video rendering. I'll see how things go anyway.

AZorin

Wed May 13, 2020 3:39:07 pm

Hi ryoukii, I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Upon further research, it appears that the issue might be a regression in the latest update to the Linux kernel when interacting with your computer's specific hardware. We would recommend you to try using the Long Term Support version of the Linux kernel 4.15 in Zorin OS 15 to try and fix these issues. To do this, please follow these steps:
1. Install the latest updates from the Software Updater and reboot your computer after the installation completes.
2. Open the Terminal and enter this command: sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic
3. After the installation, please reboot the computer and hold the "Shift" key to show the boot menu
4. Use the arrow keys to select the "Advanced options for Zorin" option, and select to boot with the "Linux 4.15" kernel
5. If the issues are alleviated after booting with this kernel, you can enter this Terminal command to make the 4.15 kernel the default option: sudo apt remove linux-generic-hwe-18.04 linux-headers-5.3.0-51 linux-headers-5.3.0-51-generic linux-headers-generic-hwe-18.04 linux-image-5.3.0-51-generic linux-image-generic-hwe-18.04 linux-modules-5.3.0-51-generic linux-modules-extra-5.3.0-51-generic linux-signed-image-generic-hwe-18.04

ryoukii

Wed May 13, 2020 4:50:14 pm

AZorin wrote:Hi ryoukii, I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Upon further research, it appears that the issue might be a regression in the latest update to the Linux kernel when interacting with your computer's specific hardware. We would recommend you to try using the Long Term Support version of the Linux kernel 4.15 in Zorin OS 15 to try and fix these issues. To do this, please follow these steps:
1. Install the latest updates from the Software Updater and reboot your computer after the installation completes.
2. Open the Terminal and enter this command: sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic
3. After the installation, please reboot the computer and hold the "Shift" key to show the boot menu
4. Use the arrow keys to select the "Advanced options for Zorin" option, and select to boot with the "Linux 4.15" kernel
5. If the issues are alleviated after booting with this kernel, you can enter this Terminal command to make the 4.15 kernel the default option: sudo apt remove linux-generic-hwe-18.04 linux-headers-5.3.0-51 linux-headers-5.3.0-51-generic linux-headers-generic-hwe-18.04 linux-image-5.3.0-51-generic linux-image-generic-hwe-18.04 linux-modules-5.3.0-51-generic linux-modules-extra-5.3.0-51-generic linux-signed-image-generic-hwe-18.04

Hi, yes I did try this kernel for a couple of days but it didn't make any difference as the system still crashed. I also tried a more up to date kernel and still had problems. I've since formatted the partition and installed a different distro based on Ubuntu 20.04, one crash in 6 days when using this distro when rendering a video. Otherwise all smooth.