This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

panel taskbar moves to top of screen and gets very small

Temoshee

Thu May 07, 2020 8:03:26 pm

I have one Dell monitor and use an HDMI bi-directional switch to go back and forth between the nice Zorin OS 15.2 PC and the employer-provided junk Windows 10 laptop. Whenever I use the Win 10 laptop and switch back to Zorin the panel shrinks and gets stuck at the top of the screen. A reboot fixes it but is there a better way? Under Zorin Appearance, Panel tab the option is just center or left for the taskbar, no up and down. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 07, 2020 8:16:26 pm

All I can think is a possible glitch in the HDMI switch - sometimes at work a colleague needs access to school network and Council Network - two PC's and a KVM switch - sometimes it fails. I am guessing here but I suspect it is the 'switchover' in the hardware that probably upsets the Zorin desktop (Windows 10 virus! LOL!) ;) :D

Temoshee

Thu May 07, 2020 8:38:41 pm

May be. It doesn't always happen. Just when I spend more than an hour on the Windows machine and go back. It's a new switch labeled DotStone brand but it was kind of cheap. Thanks.

Temoshee

Sat May 09, 2020 3:19:45 pm

Well, now I admit I never heard of a KVM switch before you mentioned it. Just spent an hour down the Google rabbit hole looking at all the possibilities. Sounds like the thing I currently have is a toy compared to those.

Swarfendor437

Sat May 09, 2020 8:45:37 pm

Temoshee wrote:Well, now I admit I never heard of a KVM switch before you mentioned it. Just spent an hour down the Google rabbit hole looking at all the possibilities. Sounds like the thing I currently have is a toy compared to those.

The one at work looks like this one:

https://www.startech.com/Server-Managem ... ~SV211KUSB

Temoshee

Sat May 09, 2020 10:19:38 pm

Thanks. That one is just for VGA monitors. I ended up gambling on an open-box HDMI KVM switch on newegg. We'll see how that turns out.

Temoshee

Sat May 16, 2020 7:21:58 pm

Discovered that it does not happen if I log out of Zorin before the switch. Second-hand KVM switch also works fine.

Swarfendor437

Sat May 16, 2020 10:52:47 pm

Glad you bottomed the issue! :D