This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

check md5sum?

Quartzite

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:32:46 pm

Hi all,

I recently decided to ditch vista and try zorin. I tried the free version of Zorin which i installed with no problems deleting vista in the process.
After about a week I felt fairly happy and choose to replace the free copy of zorin with the "ultimate" version.
Download seems fine but I wanted to check the md5sum to make sure the download was good and not corrupted... only thing is I don't know how to check the md5sum? I've already tried google and come across a variety of commands which don't seem to work? I'm guessing I'm using the wrong command or somthing - So I'd be gratefully if anyone could tell how I check the md5sum of the iso file?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:08:22 pm

Hi install the burner prog "k3b" and burn the ISO with that, it checks the md5 automatically!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:40:10 pm

@Swarfendor,

he has the Zorin freebie installed as I understand it!!.

Quartzite

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:20:55 pm

cheers Wolfman and Swarfendor!

Well I tried both methods;

The k3b seemed to work fine and allowed me to er... "check" the checksum...

I also opened a terminal in the folder where I had extracted the .iso file, and they both give me the same checksum,
so cheers to both of you, for the qdvice and teaching me a bit more about Zorin!

Only snag now is it's not the right checksum... I've only tried downloading it three times so far but haven't got the checksum I'm supposed to... so I'm starting to wonder....

the checksum I get now is f452030d13566b79157f3219337f8793 but I should get c5f14d3e290e179bb924d7c671b21a92
(i should probably point out that it's the 32 bit ultimate version i'm trying to sort out - i'm experimenting on an old computer for the minute)

Should I just keep trying to download it until I get the right checksum, or is there some underlying problem I'm not getting?
(p.s. I'm using Firefox as recommended for the download)

Cheers
Quartzite

Wolfman

Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:28:58 pm

Hi Q,

if you have a disk or 2 spare, try burning the disk AT THE SLOWEST SPEED POSSIBLE, even if the check doesn't show the correct number, my history tells me to install anyway and sort it out afterwards. To be quite honest with you, I never bother to look!!.