This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Problem--- Stuck to 1024x768 resolution or lower

portguy

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:30:38 pm

Hi guys,

I love zorin. I have zorin ultimate on my desktop dual booting with Win 7.

I also have a older laptop (Acer Aspire 3634 WLMI) and i'm facing a weird problem when installing Zorin on it. I tried Zorin 5.2 and 3.2 LTS. Here's what happens:

1- Boot the live USB (made with Unetbootin). All goes very well. I can actually get everything working, including having screen resolution at 1280x800. This resolution is picked up by Zorin and it's the highest my card supports.

2- As soon as i install Zorin: Resolution is set at 1024x780 with NO other option. This is very weird. The live Cd gives me all resolutions and a fresh install wipes it all.

3- Every other distro gets the resolution right. In gact i am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and everything is working.

I need Zorin on my laptop: i must "sell" this great distro to my friends, for it's ease of use.

Thanks!

A.M.

portguy

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:40:02 am

Hi Swarfendor437,

I had come across that thread. I tried that with zorin. No Go. Screen just goes blank. What bugs me is that Ubuntu 10.04 uses sismedia driver, theres no Xorg.conf needed. I actually installed all the drivers Thomas compiled (btw here is the working link http://www.winischhofer.net/mymain/welcome ).

Also Zorin does not have any Xorg.conf file and it gets all the resolutions i need upon using the live dvd/USB/. But after installing it defaults to 1024x768.
This is the weird part.

Note: i don't want 3d...i know linux does not accelerate this chip. I will post a screenshot of zorin on live mode. You will see all resolutions available. Also i know that sismedia driver was improved after Maverick was released, so Zorin 5.2 should pick it up.

madvinegar

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:10:02 pm

Does the problem occur after an update of the "installed" Zorin 5.2?

portguy

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:48:49 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Is there no way of installing SiS Media driver through gdebi installer? Also does any other driver option come up when you click on 'Additional Drivers' (in System/Administration/Additional Drivers)? It does seem odd that it picks up in live but not in install - might be worth checking the 'Hardware report' and seeing what that throws up and see if you can alter any driver settings manually to match the installed version - just thinking out loud! Sorry if it is nonsense! (My dad used to get broken Motor vehicles working - I like tinkering with Computers!)

Well....Zorin HAS the driver just like ubuntu 10.04 (i am trying both zorin 5.2 and 3.2). This is what i have now just after booting from a usb stick.

Desktop at 1280x800

And here's the content of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers

sis driver is there.

So...next im gonna install Zorin to HD...and this will be gone. No 1280x800.

portguy

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:50:14 pm

madvinegar wrote:Does the problem occur after an update of the "installed" Zorin 5.2?

It happens just after install...update or not, problem remains.

I think i will install zorin and just copy over all the files from the usb stick....

Wolfman

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:08:40 pm

Hi,

you are flogging a dead horse with the SIS drivers, they only work for Ubuntu 9.04 and backwards, after that, there is no support.

SIS do not exist anymore and there are no known drivers from Ubuntu 9.04 onwards!!!!. :( (To the best of my knowledge!!)

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:27:56 pm

portguy

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:54:58 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

you are flogging a dead horse with the SIS drivers, they only work for Ubuntu 9.04 and backwards, after that, there is no support.

SIS do not exist anymore and there are no known drivers from Ubuntu 9.04 onwards!!!!. :( (To the best of my knowledge!!)

No....You are actually wrong. I have tried every ubuntu version, also i tried almost every ubuntu based distro and they all work at highest resolution. WHAT they do not get is any 3d. Thats ok.

BUT

PROBLEM IS NOW SOLVED:

I just installed zorin 3.2 again. The fact that it would default to whatever low resolution after install made me do this: i just compared every single X realated file on the /root of the HD against the same on the / of the live USB stick.

Here's the difference: after install Zorin creates a xorg.conf with vesa defaults (no higher than 1024), in fact if you intall in safe mode you will get no more than 800x600. SO, i just had to sudo nautilus from the live install and DELETE /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I had tried to edit xorg.conf to my needs but it would always be messy. Something was wrong. And this something is Zorin creating a "bad xorg.conf" file. Here's the fresh install after the procedure:

So. There it is. I actually i'm gonna install ubuntu 11.04 and check if it creates a bad vesa conf. I know it does not. But i'll check if it generates anything and just copy it over to Zorin 5.2. Or if ubuntu 10.04 creates anything like Zorin on X11 folder.

Anyway: I am actually using Zorin on my laptop with a sis 661MX. All working!

portguy

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:31:10 pm

Thank you! I am so excited. Damn...Zorin looks so much better than ubuntu 10.04! And for all that matters, the core is the same. I won't install 5.2 here, coz Zorin 3.2 is more than enough for this old laptop. But my kid (who is only 6 yo) is learning windoze at school, so i can give a boost to the old laptop and still have him deal with a familiar desktop! He will learn linux soon :)!

Thank you ALL!

Wolfman

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:48:53 pm

Hi,

sorry typo, I meant to type 10.04.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Sis