This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Uninstalling to reinstall Microsoft Office 2007?

Colostarr

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30:33 pm

I apologize if this is posted somewhere in these forums. I did a search for uninstalling Microsoft Office 2007, and all I got in return were threads to "installing". Although I believe my problem will eventually lead back to installing M/O 2007 - allow me to explain.

Brand new to Zorin linux - complete foreigner to command line terminology, although I have purchased a few "Linux for Dummies" books because I am anxious to try my hand with it.

Anyway, I installed Zorin OS5 Ultimate onto my Dell XPS 14 z laptop. The first windows program that I need is Office 2007, so Installed that first. After I finished installing Office 2007, I realized that I installed the student version for which I no longer have the key. So my intention was to remove it,and then install my true copy (of which I have the key). Not sure what I did, but the uninstall did not seem to work (using the uninstaller in Zorin). The shortcuts for Office still appeared in the menu but they were not clickable (in that clicking them did nothing) but they were still in the menu.

Being new to Linux - I swiftly grabbed my valid version of Office 2007 and used PlayonLinux to install it again (thinking that this would somehow make the dead shortcuts come back to life). The 2nd install appeared to go seamlessly. PlayOnLinux finished the install but to be absolutely sure after the 2nd install I restarted the computer.

After it restarted I went to the menu and the shortcuts were still there - and they were still dead. I followed the path in wine to see if it had indeed installed but Microsoft Office was not there, but the shortcuts still remained. I then found a thread (somewhere on the internet, not sure where anymore I must have been to 1,000 different sites).

I found a problem that was similar to mine. The guy even was kind enough to put the exact code so that your ever thankful NOOB could just copy and paste it. I copied 4 lines of code, each one separate from the other. This appeared to work - the shortcuts were gone, but when I went to reinstall Office 2007 PlayonLinux was now gone also?

I found code to type into the terminal to install the latest version of PlayOnLinux and I had it back in no time. But for whatever reason every time I use PlayOnLinux to install Office 2007, it's the same result - nothing happens. The install appears to be ok, but when it finishes there is nothing there.

Is there any terminal command line code that I can try? I am growing more and more frustrated with my inability to perform what seems to be an elementary function. Any help?

Rick

Wolfman

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:19:16 pm

Hi Rick,

open your home folder and then press Crtl + h which will show you hidden files, you should see a folder which has the name " .wine ", you can try simply deleting this folder!!.

You may have to sudo to root in your home folder before you can do this. This allows you to open/delete/folders/files as root. (Within normal nautilus, right click on folder/file and select 'open as administrator')

OR!. in a terminal type:

gksudo nautilus

Which will open your home folder as root, then do the "Crtl + h" thing and delete the file.

You will have to navigate to your home folder because you will start with root home folder, look on the left and then click on > File System > Home > then the folder with your name on it! (I assume Rick)

After that, try re-installing wine and office 2007!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Colostarr

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:43:21 pm

Thank you for the quick reply Wolfman. I will be home in about 30 minutes and will try that from there - although I think I may have already tried deleting the .wine folder - however I did not try sudo to root (too funny, I don't even know what I just said!). I'll follow this instruction when I get home and get back with you. Appreciate your time

Colostarr

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:55:22 pm

Wolfman - I did everything you said - had to re-install Playonlinux again (To be sure when I down the new PlayOnLinux - it's the ubuntu version - yes?).

Re-installed office and nothing is there - same as before

I deleted the .wine folder after I drilled to it when using "gksudo nautilus"

Is there a particular version of Wine I should be using? I had the Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (BETA) installed. I wasn't sure so I uninstalled it and installed version 1.2.2
Any ideas?

Colostarr

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:59:38 pm

Man I am really sorry brother but I hardly understood a word you just said. NEW TO LINUX - BRAND NEW like in the last 2 days. Maybe if you could provide a step by step - I might be able to follow - otherwise completely lost on your instruction

swarfendor437 wrote:Personally I would try and install Office 2007 using Wine only rather than playonlinux - you should go to Wine.cfg to configure how you want to install it and choose the same version of Windows you know it installed to O.K. I recently picked up the latest version of Linux Magazine and that advises that after you install Office2007 you need to enter the name of a .dll file in wine.cfg - here is an extract from my other posting on this forum:

Update on MS Office on Linux regarding 2007 - was not aware of PowerPoint issue but just picked up latest edition of Linux Magazine and to get PowerPoint 2007 working properly you have to do the following:

"Post-Installation Tweaks: once MS Office 2007 has been installed, one override will be necessary. Without this PowerPoint and InfoPath will not start, and some dialog boxes in other Office apps will not display correctly. Open winecfg (Applications | Wine | Configure Wine), then in the Libraries tab in the area labeled New override for library, type in riched20.dll and click Add. The file will appear in the list below. Next, select riched20 in the list and click on the Edit button. Set this to Native(Windows) and click OK. This fix is necessary for PowerPoint and other applications to run correctly."

Wolfman

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:33:16 pm

Hi,

try copying this into a terminal:

apt-get remove --purge wine
rm -rf $HOME/.wine
rm -f $HOME/.config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine
rm -f $HOME/.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*
rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/????_*.xpm

After re-install wine, according to the author, it should completely remove wine!!.

Regards Wolfman